Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 03 January 2015 - 03:26 PM

Yep, you read that right.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/25532971

I will refrain from making any personal comments on this research until I calm dowm. :angry:

#2 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 03 January 2015 - 07:14 PM

well, best i can discern from the abstract is that fibro patients get relief from cymbalta. i kinda thought this was the case - its already prescribed for that, correct? i was taking it for depression, and when i came off the C, i did get and still do, pain similar to fibro. i associate this with the converse phenomenon that ocurrs with people who took the C for pain, mental/behavioral health symptoms emerged when withdrawing from the C that they didn't have previous to starting. . 

i guess that my conclusion about the C has always been that even though it "works" in many people for either depression or pain, its the other long term effects that create the opportunity cost for each individual. when i made my decision to quit, it was still "working" quite well, my mental health was very good. i just couldn't afford it anymore, brand or generic, insurance stopped paying for it. additionally for me, the impact that the C had on my health (the real "cost") far exceeded the benefits, epecially adding in the long term impact on my brain. i am still paying for cymbalta. had i chosen a non-med route, the cost would have been whatever impact my depression would have had on my career and relationships compared with being physically healthier. at my low points i still wrestle with the "what ifs". its extremely counterproductive and recognize that what lies ahead is full of possibilities. 

#3 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 03 January 2015 - 07:27 PM

I'm happy for those who may benefit from the crap if they have fibro.  I have slowly come to realize that my fibro has become much worse than before. It almost seems as if using the C. exacerbated the fibro - it was NEVER this bad!! It was prescribed for my depression, not fibro. Thank God for the massage therapy weekly as this helps immensely.

Depending upon weather and activity, there are days when just walking is extremely painful. 

#4 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 03 January 2015 - 07:59 PM

I'm happy for those who may benefit from the crap if they have fibro.  I have slowly come to realize that my fibro has become much worse than before. It almost seems as if using the C. exacerbated the fibro - it was NEVER this bad!! It was prescribed for my depression, not fibro. Thank God for the massage therapy weekly as this helps immensely.

Depending upon weather and activity, there are days when just walking is extremely painful. 

i defintely undestand how it exacerbated the fibro once you quit - did it make it worse while you were on it, better, or the same?

#5 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 03 January 2015 - 08:46 PM

I would say that while on it, the fibro remained the same - no changes...

#6 Mimi9

Mimi9

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:07 PM

It was prescribed to me for fibro pain and helped me be productive . When I felt I was doing well enough I asked to come off of it and was told we would start in Sept, however, another Dr, took me off to do a Myelogram and after 7'days cold turkey I saw no reason to get
Back on. This was before I found this site. The fibro pain has not returned, just the other crappy side effects.

#7 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:33 PM

Hi Mimi9

You are healing, recuperating-- mending; be gentle with your body, and try not to demand that your mind jump instantaneously to LightSpeed. Your brain is physically altering its structure, seeking equilibrium. 

This is a 'transitional' you-- the metaphorical bandages will slowly dissolve, and the sense of 'being altered' will fade. Don't worry-- things will continue to improve, though it will take time.

Be patient my dear; find a couple of delightful distractions. Take yourself (go alone) on what author/instructor Julia Cameron calls an 'Artist Date': accompany yourself (your inner artist or patient) somewhere you've never been-- a museum in a nearby town; perhaps a new route along the river path.

Dress up and go to the symphony!

Go slow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users