• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Snap87

Snap87

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:36 AM

Hi. I was on 60mg twice a day but decided enough was enough last Tuesday. A week and so on I have been experiencing flu like symptoms as well as the heart palpitations, breathlessness, aggression which I would not normally say boo to a goose. Not to mention the over whelming suicide thoughts. Having tried to commit divide twice while on them and not have these feelings mentioned above I fear the straw has broken the camels back once too often. Any recommendations as when I went to the docs today he didn't seem willing to help me as I came off them without his knowing. I was so annoyed at his lack of help that when I came out I unregistered with the doc surgery I have been with my entire 27years. Now I feel I have no one. My world has closed down entirely

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:15 PM

Common symptoms for cold turkey Snap87. I am deeply concerned about the suicide thoughts. More than likely the symptoms will get worse. It is essential to get back on the Cymbalta and wean slowly.  I am concerned about your post. Please go back on the C and wean slowly over time.

#3 Snap87

Snap87

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:25 PM

What's the timing of these feelings to disappear? How much worse do they become? I took this week off work I feel i won't be able to work next week. I said I had the flu.

#4 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:39 PM

Going cold turkey like you did the symptoms will worsen for the next 3 or 4 weeks and it will be around 4 to 8 weeks before you see improvement. They can last 3 months to a year BUT having said that their are those who have little symptoms at all. Given the initial robust symptoms youo have already experienced I am tempted to think you are going to have a rough time.

USE CAUTION - The suicidal thoughts can get worse. It is imperative you get back on the med and wean slowly. I don't want anything to happen to you. Your life is too important for that.

#5 Snap87

Snap87

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:49 PM

Think am just going to try have to ride it out with nothing. If it gets worse then I will see the docs as I've thrown them all out. Just scared with the shortness of breath and heart palpitations more than anything. Might be lucky enough to have a heart attack. Maybe with all the food am eating like I've got sever munches I might be lucky

#6 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:56 PM

Snap87, don't underestimate the suicidal thoughts. If you won't/can't go back on the C then please stay in touch with us so we know you are all right. There are some supplements you can take to help. chelated magnesium helps with the heart pounding, cramps, skip beats etc. Around 300 mg a day should help. People going through high stress events loss more calcium and magnesium through the urine. Also I would recommend omega 3 which will absorb the cymbalta in your system. Others will jump in here soon with their suggestions. Remember, we are always here to help, even if you just want to complain about how bad you feel. lol

#7 Snap87

Snap87

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:35 PM

Thanks for advice. Least someone is willing to help compared to Drs today.

#8 BigSalad

BigSalad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:43 PM

I'm worried about you. Quitting cold can also be life threatening in certain situations or dosages. I'm worried about your breathlessness and heart rate. I'm currently weaning off cymbalta.  My previous md was not interested in helping, but my current one is very supportive.  Please be around others somehow, even if just sitting in the waiting room outside of emergency room if you continue to have the breathlessness, heart rate changes, flu like symptoms or any suicidal thoughts.

#9 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:29 PM

Snap, don't try to tough it out ... listen to these folks, they KNOW !!! I, too KNOW ... I went cold turkey, was bed-bound for a month, and sick for another 4-6 months .. luckily, I wasn't working, because I would have had to quit or would have been fired ... it was hell ... :unsure: :wacko: :blink:

The suicide thoughts are a WARNING sign ... yes, I'm shouting a bit ... trying to get your attention   :)   ... you've got to listen to folks who know, and take the advice given ... when in cold turkey withdrawal, which you are, it's not possible to think rationally ... your brain is in crisis, and you need to lean on others who can help ...

Get back on the Cymbalta ... try to get back with your doctor(s) ... quitting was another indication that the cold turkey is messing with your thinking ...

Get back on the Cymbalta, at the dose you were on, stay on it until you are again completely symptom free ... then let us teach you how to bead count your way down ...

The suicide thoughts are serious ... very serious ... please let us help you !

#10 Snap87

Snap87

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:51 PM

Yeah I can me losing my job, losing my house everything. Guess not much in grand scheme of things.

#11 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 23 January 2015 - 04:36 PM

Snap,

Please don't do this!!!  I am also a cold turkey survivor - little over a year now, and it was the worst year of my life!!  Don't do this to yourself!! :o

Please get back on the Cymbalta and as FN stated above, we can help you to bead count - keeping all of this under control!  It is a safe and much easier way to get off this stuff.

If you continue to have those suicidal thoughts, please call a Dr. or go to the ER - you would not be the first to end up in the ER while going through this.  It is not worth your life - there is an easier way!

Please stay here and talk to us!!

#12 Snap87

Snap87

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 04:49 PM

I will see how I get on over weekend and if I can register with another doc as I say I don't have any c in house now.

#13 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 23 January 2015 - 04:53 PM

Hang in there Snap.

God Bless

#14 Snap87

Snap87

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 05:08 PM

Thanks everyone. Weekend in bed awaits.

#15 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:46 PM

Welcome Snaps,

Just saw your post. Please listen to the advice given by the wise ones here. From 120mg to 0 is a dangerous game here. This is playing with fire.

Suicidal ideation is scary, went through it twice, on cymbalta and in withdrawal. Needless to say, it scared me shitless. I have never had those thoughts before and mind you, I was on 30 mg.

Please reinstate even at 90 or so. Snap, this is a risky situation, physical wise and mental wise.

It will not get better in a matter of weeks, you can believe that. It will take much longer. Consider reinstating real soon, go to the emergency or a clinic saturday. Also consider a benzo for a while.

Snap, I was on 30mg for 4 months, 15mg for one month then off. It took twelve weeks to see the light.

Keep us posted Snap, anytime, we are here for you.

#16 Snap87

Snap87

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:39 PM

What's benzo?

#17 Snap87

Snap87

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:41 PM

Also what you mean physically and mentally.

#18 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:07 PM

A benzodiazepine (benzo) is a drug such as Xanax, Valium, etc. - you can google it.  Used for anxiety which usually comes along with the  withdrawal - mine got horrible about 5 months off and lasted for about 2 months.  It was the "freezing" type where I just couldn't do anything! 

Remember, I went cold turkey from 60mg - only 1/2 of your dosage!

The mental and physical - it takes time for your body and brain to recover and rewire after the exposure to this poison - related to the serotonin in your system.  Usually, the longer you have been on it, the harder it is to recover, but the body and  brain are remarkable how they manage to do this!  Am I correct, that you are 27?  Usually younger people have an easier time than us older peeps (over 50)!

Because you were on such a high dosage, I really suggest that you go back on it and become stable again and then start the bead counting.  Usually you can get a few pills from your Pharmacy if you tell them that you can't get your RX until Mon.  Gail's suggestion of going back on 90mg sounds like a good idea.

Good luck and please give the bead counting lots of serious thought - there is no need for you to go through this cold turkey - there is an easier way!

Please keep talking to us - we are here to help you! 

#19 Snap87

Snap87

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 02:13 PM

Well I succumbed to c at 4am this morning. Was out raiding the garbage in my pjs as I didnt think I was going to make the night never mind the weekend. Only took 60mg which seems to have took a bit of pressure off me

#20 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 24 January 2015 - 02:19 PM

Snap,

Good for you!  If you can stabilize at the 60mg, that's wonderful!!  You can bead count down from there.  Just give it a few days and see how you feel - you may have to go up a little more...

Please keep us posted!!

#21 Snap87

Snap87

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 03:42 PM

Fingers crossed. I thought I could do it without.

#22 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 24 January 2015 - 03:45 PM

Not an easy thing to do, my friend! :blink:

#23 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 24 January 2015 - 05:03 PM

Snap,

It's good that you found the C and reinstated at 60.

As Liz said, see how you feel in the days to come. You may or you may not have the need to upper it. You will know. Your body will let you know for sure.

Keep posting and keep crossing your fingers!

#24 Snap87

Snap87

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 05:52 PM

What are the usual next course after c? Drug wise I mean?

#25 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:05 PM

Snap,

Are you planning on taking another med?  The only thing I could foresee might be the need for something for anxiety if/when it comes along.

I was so happy to get off this crap I will never take another anti-d as long as I live..

#26 Snap87

Snap87

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:13 PM

I don't know what the future will be. I just wondered if there was a natural progression after c. I have been off work for a week after cold turkey and need to go back tomorrow. The fear that one thing will tip me over the edge is scaring me to be honest. Maybe this is where the anxiety comes in. Not only that I don't have a docs to go to until the 10th of feb to enrol at a new practice.

#27 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:20 PM

You said that you reinstated the c, right?  At what dosage?  If you need to be at work, you can't be going through this cold turkey.  Please reinstate at a higher dosage if you need to - you have the pills if I remember correctly.

I would say stay on a dosage that keeps you comfortable - you can bead count down when you are feeling stable.  We can help you to do that.   Even though you are going to a new Dr., I will bet that he/she knows nothing about helping you to get off this crap.  Most don't - or they will give you crazy on and off directions that keep you in and out of cold turkey withdrawal.  Most members find that they have to take matters into their own hands - the Dr.s are worthless with this stuff.

Please let us know what are your symptoms now? 

#28 Snap87

Snap87

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 09:55 PM

Severe zapping headache that's lasted 2 days solid with no painkiller able to stop it. Been sick a couple of times, aching in bones as well as all the flu like symptoms as before. Dizziness, restless/ agitated, unable to sleep and as of now I seem to have blood in my stools. Not sure if that's related?

#29 Snap87

Snap87

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 09:59 PM

Not to mention the down feeling and worthlessness

#30 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:01 PM

Snap,

Are you back to cold turkey again?  I thought that you had reinstated.  That headache is a typical withdrawal symptom - I had one like that for 2 solid weeks - woke up crying it was so bad.  

If you won't reinstate and start bead counting as soon as you are stable, this is going to get worse...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users