SoSick1234

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta WD Cold Turkey

Posted 26 January 2015 - 05:15 PM

Hi everyone :)

I am a 42yr old female that had been on Cymbalta for the past 5 years.  I decided about 5 weeks ago to cut my 60mg dose cold turkey.  The side effects have been brutal and I am still feeling sick.  Is it normal for this to continue this long?

At first I was having the usual "pinging" in my head, the insomnia and nausea but then the nausea got worse and it has not stopped for weeks.  Almost every day I was vomiting, until last week when I am now only vomiting a few times a week.  I worked during this whole time but I am starting to wonder how much longer I can do this. Is there a light at the end of this tunnel?  At this point I would even consider going back on to a lower dose and weaning down from there but its been more then a month and I do not know if that is the right solution.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated as I am about to crack.  Thank you.

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 26 January 2015 - 05:48 PM

Welcome SoSick

This drug has a devastating withdrawal at times. With going cold turkey and based on the symptoms you are now experiencing (not uncommon) I would expect 4 or 5 weeks till you begin to see some slow (and I mean slow) improvement. Usually after you have been off 4 months or 5 you will be having a few good hours on a regular basis. Total withdrawal time runs from 4 month to a year for most. It seems like age and weight make it worse. With your age I would think you would start seeing some breaks a little sooner than the 4 to 5 weeks. Now, having said that, it varies a lot. After dealing with this brutal withdrawal for this long I would not suggest you go back on the Cymbalta and wean off.

#3 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:37 PM

Hi and welcome SoSick!

I'm so sorry that things are really rough right now.  I know, because I went off 60mg cold turkey too.  It has now been a little over a year, but I am older than you and it was one hell of a year!  There are many of us here who have experienced this as cold turkey survivors.

Fishinghat is right - we are all different and no one can tell you how much longer, but I would suggest that you take vacation time, FMLA, or whatever you can,as working must be awful for you at this point.  Many of our members have either taken a long leave or actually quit working to get off this stuff - yep, it can be that terrible!!

I have fibro and arthritis, so also took Hydrocodone (still do) and Alprazolam (Xanax) for the anxiety which most likely will pay you a visit - however uninvited.  Are you on any other meds?  If so, for what and at what dosage?

Please stay with us as we will help you - we care!

#4 SoSick1234

SoSick1234

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta WD Cold Turkey

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:54 AM

Thank you both for your comments. They are appreciated.

I have a 7th cranial Tumour and I was prescribed the Cymbalta years ago to help with the sharp nerve pain that I have in my head and ear. I am sure an added benefit is that it helps with my mood as well when I am dealing with the pain 😊

I am actually working with my pain clinic trying to find something that will help as my pain has gotten worse the last few months but nothing seems to be working. And the stuff that is working is causing so many other side effects that I have to wonder if it is all worth it? Right now I am still taking Butrans patch for pain but I am thinking of finishing with that as well.

But everything is all on hold right now until I can get past these Cymbalta WD which have been brutal. Never expected it to be this bad.

#5 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:17 AM

SS,

Yes, you describe it like it is - brutal! :angry:

I'm happy that your pain clinic is working with you and hope that you will soon be more comfortable.

Have you checked out the forum "Nutritional Support"?  There is much good info there regarding supplements, etc. that can help you through this.

You will start to have a "good day" here and there and then they will become more frequent, but remember the "bad days" will still occur - sometimes more of them than the good ones in the beginning.  I know this isn't what you want to hear, but this is the way it is...  I'm sure that your age is in your favor - it really will get better! :)

Yes, there will be light to be seen - hopefully not too much longer.  Hang in there and keep posting!  

#6 SoSick1234

SoSick1234

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta WD Cold Turkey

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:20 AM

I will take a look at the Nutritional Support now.

Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users