14 replies to this topic

#1 Windflower

Windflower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:47 PM

Hi All,

I have been on 120 mg and I'm going down by 20 mg... 2 tiny, horrible, damned beads at a time.

I don't know which end is up right now. There are so many things going on, I can't determine cause and effect  anymore.

I suffer from Fibromyalgia, as well as malabsorption. I started with a new doctor, that is treating the malabsorption. She put me on a shit ton of supplements, along with all of the other stuff I have been taking for years. I went back to my Phsychiatrist (who is the absolute best IMHO) and she is helping me wean off the Cymbalta.

Lately, (last 2 weeks) I feel like I'm sick... seasonal creeping crud stuff, like a sinus infection, clicking in my ears, etc. The last two days I've had shortness of breath. I've been tired forever. I have no interest in doing anything. I have heart palpitations. Thank goodness I don't work outside the house. So am I feeling crappy, because of withdrawl from the cymbalta, the addition of 10 more supplements, or just because I have the creeping crud? There really is no way to tell for sure. I have no idea if all of these supplements are doing any good either, and the money I've been spending... holy crap! Between the Rx drugs and the supplements, my HSA card is getting a real work out. I have over 2 years of stepping down on Cymbalta ahead of me, and I just feel so discouraged.

One of the withdrawl symptoms that I KNOW is attributable to the Cymbalta withdrawl, is a pins and needles feeling that goes down the side of my face, my neck, and all the way down my arm. So I KNOW that at least one of the things I'm feeling is due to stepping down. I'm going to my psychiatrist on Thursday, and I think I'm just going to ask her for my very own, Xtra long sleeved jacket, and a nice room with padded walls, for all the good I'm doing for anyone.  :wacko:  I guess the good news is that I'm not in overwhelming pain from the fibro. :unsure:

I just want to stop taking EVERYTHING! I'd like to have a baseline, this is what I'm like when I'm not medicated, place to view myself.

Ending my little rant now. Thanks for reading.

#2 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 11:06 PM

Hi Windflower

Beautiful name. One of my favourite 19th century painters, John William Waterhouse, did a gorgeous painting called Windflowers.

See it here:  http://finearthub.bl...indflowers.html I have several heavy-framed Waterhouse reproductions that I love; I'm especially fond of medieval themes. He paints women so exquisitely! I'm mysteriously drawn to La Belle Dame Sans Merci (1893); it's sweet, pathetic, and deadly all at once.

It seems you've hit the wall: "I just want to stop taking EVERYTHING! I'd like to have a baseline-- this is what I'm like when I'm not medicated-- place to view myself."

I think this declaration is important, and not just a rant-- it concisely paraphrases your foregoing 3 paragraphs. If indeed it is the truth and you want to be drug-free, with some planning you can do it. Baseline is some distance away, but it is without a doubt a worthy quest!

Aside from the Cymbalta, what other drugs do you take? I ask this because you may be dependent on more than just the Cymbalta, and that would figure in to your plan. It would be prudent to create a logical order of withdrawal for any list of medications.

I reached a place similar to where you are-- I had to get off everything.

Don't worry. Give this some thought; it's clear you need some peace.

#3 ZappAlta

ZappAlta

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 04:31 AM

Windflower most of your symptoms were a carbon copy of mine-- I even was sent to cardiology for intense palpitations and wore a tiny high tech gadget (like a stick on button for 3 weeks which alarmed when my heart rate went to 160 bbm it was sooo scary and Clonodine or Ativan did nothing .It subsided after about a month. All the clicking ear and vision are too part of withdrawal.   I know it is small steps getting off but you could discuss with your Dr a cross taper for a few months for e.g Prozac -Zoloft.   Vent all you want here even some of us are up late :)

#4 DoneWithCrap

DoneWithCrap

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
  • why_joining:
    I have been a zombie of too long.
    I want a life!

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:09 AM

I could use one of those Xtra long sleeved jackets and a padded room too.

I believe that if you take it slow and consult with the professionals, you can get off everything.

Best of luck! Please monitor yourself while changing meds. We know how they can affect us while we are on them, coming off is a whole new set of rules.

:hug:  

#5 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:40 AM

Zapp..

Wanted to "like" your post but am out again!  Don't know what good that stupid feature is..

You are "down under", right? Happy that you are here at our odd hours - you are so helpful!

Take care -

Liz

#6 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada
  • why_joining:
    I need help and I know I will feel better if I can offer help to others

Posted 04 March 2015 - 01:48 PM

I find it ridiculous that a doctor would add a ton of supplements, that's no better than being given  a bunch of prescriptions all at once. How is one ever to know which one is making you feel better and what is making you feel worse?

I think a serious talk with your Psychiatrist is in order and see what she thinks of all these supplements. Maybe some of these supplements are working against your withdrawing from the Cymbalta or causing other problems that she may be aware of.

The idea of a cross taper is definitely something worth looking into as it would speed up the process of getting off Cymbalta and most other SSRI meds are much easier to withdraw from.

Take care of you and be well

#7 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 04 March 2015 - 05:20 PM

Agree 100% with Lady Nancy!

What is doing what????

#8 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 06:27 PM

Yes, I agree too.

Mixing drugs is like mixing paint: if you mix seven colors what do you get? The resulting interaction is incomprehensible. In this analogy I would include some supplements as colors.

#9 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 01:33 AM

Some other contributing colors would come from undiagnosed food allergies like gluten and lactose intolerance. If you smoke cigarettes, consume lots of caffeine, and drink alcohol every day-- those will add plenty of color too!

#10 ZappAlta

ZappAlta

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 03:49 AM

Zapp..

Wanted to "like" your post but am out again!  Don't know what good that stupid feature is..

You are "down under", right? Happy that you are here at our odd hours - you are so helpful!

Take care -

Liz

Always nice to see your little' red headed Icon'  I'm in Calif but work the late eve shifts till 12 or 1 am Tfl :)

#11 Windflower

Windflower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 09:47 PM

I didn't know that I had a like quota! I tried to like everyone's comments, but I ran out of likes to give, lol.

Thanks for the responses. I talked with my Psychiatrist, who was compltely understanding of my situation. She approves of all of my bead counting and basically said that I'm on the right path. She said that I am, "wicked smart," and that the other doctor should be able to work with me on this. If she has given me supplements to take to correct an abnormal lab result, we should be able to see if that same element has come back into normal range. (By the way... It is really really cool when your doctor recognizes that you have brains and are capable of understanding complex material... I love my doctor)

I waited nearly 9 months to get into see my new doctor, because she is the only local doctor that does what she does. She had me complete a complete gnome mapping through an outside agency. Based upon my genetic map, a micro-nutrient analysis and a toxicity report, she has come up with a plan that works at the cellular level to help me with my main problem... malapsorption. (I don't get the benefit of any of the nutrients in my food) It's cutting edge stuff, and I feel like I'm taking a micro-biology course every time I go in for an appointment, but it's facinating. That being said... I have a bachelor's degree, not a PhD in chemistry, so I'm hanging on by the skin of my teeth. I nearly died about 3 years ago, because my Psychiatrist (who knew?!!) discovered that I had Rickets, Scurvy, and a critical deficiency of an amino acid called, Carnatine, among other deficiencies. She actually recommended my new doctor to me, and they work well together. So... I'm generally strange in my body chemistry. Apologies all around if your eyes are glazing over, by this point.

Anyway... I think I am on the right path. I just need to be patient. The withdrawl from Cymbalta is going to take about 2 years. I can do this. I take carnatine supplements, but it caused my blood pressure to spike, so I take BP meds (/sigh). Hopefully, she'll figure out how to make it so I start getting my nutritional needs met from my food pretty soon, rather than having to supplement everything. I eat very well, cook everything from scratch, and stay out of the center of the grocery store (where all the processed food is located). I'm a classical singer, so my body is my instrument and I want to take care of it!

TL:DR My body is uber strange. My shrink is a rock star. My new doctor is on the leading edge of genetic medicine. Gotta keep working at this.

Thanks for all of your kind words and support. :)

#12 Windflower

Windflower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 09:51 PM

I forgot...Thismoment... Thanks for the Windflower references... Windflowers are my favorite flowers. :)

Also... My shrink and I had a good conversation:

Shrink: Why did you want to get off of Cymbalta?

Me: Because I feel it has been steadily losing effectiveness, and I've been medicated with anti-depressants for 15 years. Staying on a medication that is starting to fail, only because I'm afraid of NOT taking it, doesn't seem like a good reason to keep taking that medication.

Shrink: Were that all of my patients were so self-aware. I approve.

#13 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:46 PM

Windflower,

Wow, what a wealth of information!  You are so fortunate to have 2 such wonderful, willing to work together Dr.s!  I have never heard of anything like it :)

I'm sorry for the health problems you are dealing with, and I won't pretend to understand all of it, but you are obviously one smart gal, and have a great plan working for you...

I wish nothing but the best for you and am sure that in time you will be in the best of health - and I admire your singing ability and your determination to be the best you can be.

I had a friend in HS who went on to become an opera singer and sang in Austria, Germany and France.  She lives in Vienna to this day!  Thought you might enjoy my little bit of "claim to fame" to know someone that you would admire!

Take much care and stick with those wonderful Dr.s - as if you would leave them - NOT!!

Hugs and prayers,

Liz :hug:

#14 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:33 PM

Windflower

Good work!

You sound very up-beat about this fascinating adventure you are about to undertake! I'm cheering for you!

#15 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 07 March 2015 - 10:57 AM

Love your drs. That puts you half way there already.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users