Photo

Got Withdrawals. Reinstate Previous Dose, Or Start On Prozac?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 missbrodie

missbrodie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:20 PM

Here's my history:

I was on Cymbalta for 6 months or so, ending up at 90mg. But I had side effects, and it wasn't helping my depression. So here's how my taper is going (advised by psychiatrist and GP):

Down to 60mg for 1 month - no problems

Down to 30mg for 1 week - no problems.

Down to 15mg for 1 week - no problems.

Down to nothing - was fine for one day, but next day had mild dizziness, nausea and tingling lips!

GP's advice was to go down to nothing for 2 days then start on Prozac, which was just the next drug I was about to try - it wasn't proscribed to combat withdrawals.

My question is, what should I do now?

Go back to 7.5mg per day and see how that goes?

Go back to 15mg, then taper down to 7.5mg when I'm feeling okay?

Or just start taking the Prozac, which I already have bought, in the hope it will combat withdrawals?

Yes I am going to ask my GP about this too but I can't get an appointment for days, and besides I'd like to hear you people's opinions too. :)

#2 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 13 March 2015 - 08:26 PM

Welcome missbrodie!

We're so happy that you have found this forum!  We have many members who have crossed over to Prozac while weaning off the C. poison.  I would suggest that you go back up to your 15 dosage until you are feeling stable. It has only been 2 days, right?  You should start feeling much better very quickly.  The last few mg. are the hardest to come off and it takes a while for the Prozac to upload into your system.  I would suggest that you go very slowly coming off the 15 - do you know about bead counting?  There is a topic called Bead Counting - How To Do It under the Are You New Here forum.  This is an easier way to come off the C. while the Prozac is ramping up in your system and you should have very little withdrawal.

First of all, you were not on it that long, and I somehow get the impression that you are younger than most of us older peeps here (over 50!) and those 2 things are definitely in your favor!

This crap only has a half life of 12 hours, so you are in withdrawal the day after you stop taking it.  You should be fine in 2-3 weeks while weaning off and taking the Prozac at the same time.  This has been met with much success by many here!

Please come back with any questions you may have and if you decide to bead count off that last 15 mg we can help you!  Please keep us updated and remember that we are here for you!

Liz 

#3 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 08:45 PM

Hi missbrodie

Welcome.

If the intent is to go on Prozac, here's what I would do: I would re-instate on Cymbalta by going back to the last dosage where I was stable-- say 15 mg, and simultaneously start taking the Prozac as prescribed.

Don't try to figure out what drug's doing what-- you can never know. On the short term, most issues will be due to withdrawal from Cymbalta. The Prozac takes time to become effective-- perhaps 4-6 weeks (you can wiki that), though some people report if beginning to work in just a few days.

After becoming stable on Cymbalta, I would stay at that dosage for a couple more weeks and then start to taper off on a constant gentle slope over 6 weeks. By the time I'm done with the Cymbalta, the Prozac will be fully on stream.

But I would seriously consider re-instating on the Cymbalta and then weaning off slowly as discussed-- but forget about the Prozac.

#4 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada
  • why_joining:
    I need help and I know I will feel better if I can offer help to others

Posted 13 March 2015 - 10:43 PM

Hi missbrodie

If it were me I would go back to 15mg and get stable then try the taper down to 7.5mg and see how that goes.

If the drop to 7.5mg is too much you can always go back to the 15mg and bead count down OR once you are on the 7.5mg you can start to taper up on the Prozac.

I am surprised that your doctor didn't suggest the cross taper as that is the easiest way.

Often a pharmacist can assist you in the correct amounts to cross taper.

Those last few mg of Cymbalta are rough to get off of and you can end up with some unpleasant withdrawals (I did also from 15mg but then I'm in the over 50 group lol) and I'm afraid most GP's don't know much about stopping this particular antidepressant. As most of us here have found out.

Take care of you and be well.

#5 missbrodie

missbrodie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 02:01 AM

Thanks for everyone who answered. I feel very supported! (Also, very nauseated, but that would be the worsening withdrawals. :wacko: )

In case you're wondering, I'm in my early 30s... and Cymbalta is the third antidepressant I've tried over the past years of horribleness (the first year of serious strugglikng I did therapy only, but improvement has been ve-e-ery slow.) Prozac will be the fourth I guess...

I found some interesting and reliable-looking info just now, from the Northern Metropolitan Health Service (Australia). It has a great table of recommended switching strategies of from one antidepressant to another. I'm hoping to take this to my GP to convince her to let me cross-taper! (Or maybe I'll just go ahead and do it...)

http://www.watag.org... strategies.pdf

#6 ZappAlta

ZappAlta

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 03:31 AM

Thank you for sharing this article very easy to understand and soo informative--Im hoping someone copies it to the help forum.  (I don't know how )

#7 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:42 AM

[quote name="thismoment" post="58228" timestamp="1426297457"]Hi missbrodie
Welcome.
If the intent is to go on Prozac, here's what I would do: I would re-instate on Cymbalta by going back to the last dosage where I was stable-- say 15 mg, and simultaneously start taking the Prozac as prescribed.

I would go with that!

#8 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 05:52 PM

missbrodie

Very interesting link! And yes, the table for cross-tapering and interaction cautions is very helpful.

To check drug interactions in general, go to http://www.drugs.com  

Click on 'Interactions Checker'.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users