• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 bigcountry278

bigcountry278

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 01:02 PM

I have been on Cymbalta for 6 months at 30mg a day. I take at night after the gym. I am going cold turkey off this. The reason I was put on it was due to nerve damage from falling 25 foot out of a tree and landing on my left side. L4-S1 multiple trapped nerves. The question is since Ive only been on this a short time and low dossage compared to most on here, do i need to taper. my DR said go every other day but from reading on here itll only make things worse. I do take a good multi vitamin and fish oil every day. Any help is needed.

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 23 March 2015 - 01:25 PM

Hi BC

Welcome

6 Months is definitely enough time for the Cymbalta to reach full strength in your body. I would strongly recommend a 3 or 4 month weaning.  Definitely do NOT do the every other day routine. This jacks up your blood levels on one day and they drop by the end of the next. This drug only has a 12 hour half-life.

#3 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 23 March 2015 - 01:30 PM

Welcome bc!

So happy that you have found this forum - we will help you to get through this!

First, having been on this crap for only 6 months and I feel that you are quite young, your symptoms are likely to be lighter than most.

Your asshat Dr. suggesting that you take it only every other day is putting you in and out of withdrawal.  This drug has a half life of only 12 hrs, so every other day you are going right back into cold turkey withdrawal.  You can go this cold turkey and just stop taking it, or you can wean off by bead counting which puts you in control and keeps the withdrawal symptoms to a minimum. There is a topic under Are You New Here? on Bead Counting - How To Do It, which I suggest you check out.  There is no time line here, so why not try to be as comfortable as possible while doing this and go at your own pace?

Were you on the brand name (Eli Lilly) or a generic?   I would suggest that you take a capsule apart and count the beads inside - yep, all of those little suckers!  If you decide to use the bead counting method, just come back to let us know the number of beads and we can help you set up a weaning schedule.

Are you on any other meds?

I wish you the best and we all look forward to hearing from you and want to help!

Liz       

#4 bigcountry278

bigcountry278

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 01:50 PM

I have already made my own pills. There are 6 5mg pills in each cap. I have made 15mgs, 10mgs and 5mgs. My bead counting is easy since there are only 6 beads in my 30mg pills. Ive already dropped down to the 15 and actually have only 3 10's and 6 5's to go. I really just want to stop and see what happens. If anything I think my nerve pain and some stomach issues might arise. Im hoping to get it out quickly. Im 44 years old so that helps a little bit. I do hit the gym 5-6 times a week and train hard. Tonight I will be adding 30 minutes of cardio and 15 minutes in the dry sauna to help sweat out the toxins. I already eat a very clean diet high in fiber and protein and low in fat. I do take a NOS at time of workout and when workout is over. It relaxes the blood vessels. Its nitric oxide. I also take 6 grams of BCAA's during training to spare the muscle breakdown when my glycogen is depleted. My post workout is a banana with 25 grams protein to spike my insulin. Believe it or not I think this is helping a lot on my lack of issues  so far. BTW I do body building competitions thats how I know all my macros.

#5 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada
  • why_joining:
    I need help and I know I will feel better if I can offer help to others

Posted 23 March 2015 - 02:08 PM

Hi bigcountry

I would say that you have this one under control. If anyone has awareness of body and  mind it would be you.

I did jump off at 15mg and ran into a wall so to speak with withdrawal but that doesn't mean you will. You can try it and you will know within a few days. You also have the 10's and 5's to fall back on which is the way I would do it BTW. No sense dealing with symptoms of withdrawal if you don't have to.

Your activity levels are probably the biggest thing you have going for you. You may experience some increase in nerve pain along the way but just ride it out as the nerves will settle down again once the brain gets used to receiving the signals again (something Cymbalta was blocking).

Best of luck to you and be well

#6 bigcountry278

bigcountry278

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:18 PM

Workout is complete with first full day off cymbalta. No issues but it's only day one. Feels great though the pump I have from lifting. Hopefully my working out will help offset some of the side effects. I just afraid as my nerves wake up I will be in crazy pain but the sauna and hot tub might work. What about Epson salt baths? Has anyone tried this?

#7 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:55 PM

You will know by tomorrow or the next day for sure.

Those workouts should help but don't overdo it lol.

I don't use the salts myself as they make me itchy so can't comment on that but the hot tub helps immensely.

#8 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 24 March 2015 - 08:21 AM

I didn't use the Epsom salts either but others have. You might try doing a search.

#9 bigcountry278

bigcountry278

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:04 AM

I might try the salts. Also here is my diet that I eat plus or minus a little:

Bfast- 5 egg whites 1 whole egg 1 cup steel rolled oats

Mid Morn- 6oz grilled chicken, 1 cup brown rice, mixed salad greens no dressing

Lunch- 6oz grilled chicken, 1 med sweet potato, steamed green veggie of some sort

Mid Afternoon- 6oz chicken, mixed salad no dressing

Pre work out- 25 gram protein 0 carbs

Post work out- 25 gram protein, dextrose 1 scoop, banana

Bedtime snack 12 egg whites with fresh veggies mixed in, 1 cup oat bran cereal 1/2 cup milk

The fiber content is around 45-50 grams a day, protein 309 grams, carbs 125 grams, fat 25 grams, 2400 cals

I think diet will help with withdrawals due to the fiber content

I also take a great multi vitamin and extra C, E, and B12

Any input?

#10 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:40 AM

I see no issue with the diet. It looks good. One thing to watch for. Most skinless chicken breasts are now soaked in chicken broth or vegetable broth. These broths contain a lot of salt and fats due to there preparation process. There are considerable more cholesterol and fats then chicken breasts from years past. This is done to inflate the weight of the chicken and increase profits.

#11 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 11:18 AM

bigcountry278

Your diet lacks nothing except perhaps ice cream, chocolate, and Guinness!

You're doing great!

#12 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 24 March 2015 - 11:20 AM

Just a humorous note..

That one day menu would feed me for almost a week! :lol:

#13 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 24 March 2015 - 01:45 PM

Hey big country

Been awhile since I looked at a bodybuilders diet lol

The only thing I noticed is that there is no fish or omega 3 mentioned so if you have any problems with withdrawals you may want to consider adding in some. There is a new Krill oil omega 3 to avoid that fishy smell. Otherwise the diet should help immensely.

I don't have to tell you to stay well hydrated anyways lol.

Have a great day and be well

#14 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 24 March 2015 - 03:35 PM

BC,

Out of curiosity, is that your menu all year round? Or just in preparation for a contest?

And about all those eggs, you buy them or do you have your own chickens? Curious!

#15 bigcountry278

bigcountry278

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 06:56 AM

Gail- That is pretty much my diet year round. It can vary meaning turkey instead of chicken maybe venison chili and drop off the eggs before bed. I do not own my own chickens but if my HOA would let me I would. I buy around 3 dozen eggs in the 12ct containers and then 5 containers of egg whites only. I was 312lbs before falling out of tree.  I had done a few bodybuilding contest from 95-98 then had to take 3yrs off due to blowing out my wrist. Once I was given the green light to go I did but just didnt have the drive anymore, kids, ball work, yard work and the sort but when I fell in Oct of 2013 the first thing my DR said was to get the weight. Really the only thing that saved me was my weight. I fell 25'  and landed on my left side and sniffed dirt for a while catching my breath. I actually walked away from it but went and got checked out. It wasnt till 8 months later that I started having issues from the fall and it was discovered I had really messed up my lower back. So by getting the weight off and using strength training I feel like I am getting my life back and hence the stoppage of this drug. My old contest weight was 200-205, right now with my current bodyfat I am around 220-225 for a contest. I currently weight 266. 

Lady288- I do use 4000-6000mgs of fish oil. 3 pills in the morning and 3 before bed or right after training. I just left them off my list. Also I drink between 12 and 20 bottles of water a day. Theyre 20oz bottles. Depends on my training for the day, Legs and back will be the most water I uptake with calves and abs being the lowest. This is mainly to flush the toxins of torn muscle from my body as it can cause kidney and liver damage if it stays in for to long.

On day 3 and zero affects so far.  I am a little off in the head but its pollen season her in GA and Ive been on the ballfields 3 of the last 4 days so Im sucking a lot of pollen so I am thinking its from that. Hopefully my training can keep me going as I feel it really helps in general. Hit Calves and Abs yesterday and felt great other than an ab cramp in the upper two abs that just wouldnt let go but other than that feeling great.

#16 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 25 March 2015 - 08:47 AM

Hey bc!

So happy that things are currently going so well for you!!  Falling out of a tree sounds like one horrible experience - happy that you are basically OK and congratulations on the weight loss!

I continue to wish you the best - your lifestyle is admirable!

Liz :)

#17 bigcountry278

bigcountry278

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 11:15 AM

Thanks TL, the fall bad more hurt pride than anything lol but I do wear a safety harness now when I hunt. So if my stand comes down I'll be hanging in the tree like a Christmas ornament.

#18 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 25 March 2015 - 11:44 AM

DISCIPLINE is surely your middle name BC!

I read your post(s) and I am in awe! There is a French word for that, starts with Tab....,can't say it here.

Don't you ever indulge in something like chocolate or pizza?

Looking good concerning the withdrawal, I admire your discipline.

Looks so natural and easy for you. Thanks for the chicken info etc.

Were you hunting when you fell off the tree? If so, was it deer? Do you eat that meat?

#19 bigcountry278

bigcountry278

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 01:03 PM

Gail, it was deer hunting in bow season. I heard a stick snap and looked to my left then everything went upside down. Never had a chance to stick the deer. Chaulk one up for the deer, the score is like 120-1 me winning lol. I do eat the deer, hog and wild turkey I kill or the fish I catch unless I release it. I do indulge in pizza or cake once a month but I change my eating pattern for the day so it doesnt throw off my macros. Its really not that hard just a lifestyle change I made for myself. The hardest thing is coming into the office when everyone is eating good smeeling stuff and i just eat my bland stuff. I can sugar now has more a flavor than it did before since I dont eat it. Ive only had coffee black, and water for the last 2 years with a sip or there of coke. That stuff is super sweet.

#20 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 25 March 2015 - 01:14 PM

I figured that you must have some omega 3 in there somewhere but thought I'd mention it anyway.

I went off sugar about a year and 1/2 ago chocolate is my only indulgence and that is only once a month or less and the dark chocolate at that. Even it tastes overly sweet to my tastebuds now.

Can't beat a good deer steak for lean meat. Bow hunting takes patience and skill. My hats off to you there.

Sounds like things are going well for you. That exercise and water will make all the difference.

Take care of you and be well

#21 bigcountry278

bigcountry278

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:52 AM

Ok day 4 and Im a little slow today, its either the lack of cymbalta, the crazy pollen count here in Atlanta or combination of the two. Either way not to bad. Now my chest tightness and back left muscles cramping is a different story. Lots of pins and needles going through that are.. A little face tingling but nothing to bad. Legs feel weak but again nothing to bad. Checked my BP for fun and was great 128/79 with a pulse rate of 79. Pretty good since I feel nutty. LOL, all in all compared to what I have read from others not to bad. Thinking of taking a muscle relaxer tonight to release the back. Its an off night from the gym.

#22 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:

Posted 26 March 2015 - 03:38 PM

BC,

I enjoy reading your updates. Please continue. I have a curious mind and want to see if this diet and gym thing really do reduces the withdrawal symptoms.

Do you mind me asking in what group age you are?

Might sound like a survey here, but curious minds want to know!

#23 bigcountry278

bigcountry278

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 09:44 PM

I am 44 but feel like I'm 18. I'm a big kid at heart. Got slowed down from the fall of course for a couple years but got back in gym hardcore last July. I just feel better doing that. I'm feeling great right now even though my day was tough with the weirdness in my head but I pushed through got my work done and relaxed when I got home. Today was my cheat meal so I had cup of black beans, 10 oz steak,1 cup brown rice and 1 cup homemade Pico. It was great. I wanted more but held off. Dropping the black beans and having the rest for lunch tomorrow. I did get out and walk after dinner and that helped to lose up my tight chest and back muscles.

#24 bigcountry278

bigcountry278

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 04:33 PM

Feeling pretty darn great today. Have a little weirdness in the head but all good. 6 days and going good. Has anyone had the vertigo get worse with cold air? I noticed today when i was outside my dizziness was worse in the 40 degree air but when I warmed up in the car it would almost go away.

#25 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:

Posted 28 March 2015 - 03:31 PM

BC,

Sorry, I can't relate to this.
How is your seventh day?

#26 bigcountry278

bigcountry278

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 03:39 PM

7th day is great. Spent 4 hours on the ball field with little to no vertigo. Maybe a brain shock here or there but it was 37 degrees at game time with 20mph winds. That's cold on an open field. So far doing well. I'm sleeping great at night and feeling very well rested when I wake up. Tomorrow is leg day and I figure if I'm going to have any crazy issues they'll show up then. I work legs real heavy and hard for about 2 hours. I know I will crawl out of the gym.

#27 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 05:04 PM

BC278

I'm sure your diet and exercise/training regimen have a lot to do with how good you are feeling. Good work!

#28 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 28 March 2015 - 06:41 PM

Hey bigcountry

WOW You are doing great and it must be how healthy you are. The exercise is a big key and as long as you can keep it up with your health conscious diet and staying hydrated you are going to make it without much more side effects than you already have experienced.

Keep it up, take care of you and be well.

#29 bigcountry278

bigcountry278

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 08:14 PM

Today feeling good. Little weird after leg day but that's the norm anyways. Hard to believe it's been a week off this so far. Hopefully I can keep this pace and stay off this med.

#30 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 29 March 2015 - 08:29 PM

If a little weird had been all I felt after a week off this stuff I wouldn't be here still helping those that need help getting off like I did.

It has to be your healthy lifestyle and exercises that are helping you so much.

Really happy things are going so well for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users