10 replies to this topic

#1 Ramona80

Ramona80

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:09 AM

I am in a very bad state of mind right now, and I want to ask for support, and I need to ask some questions.

First, I am at 50 mg Cymbalta (down from 60) and have been holding at the 50 mg dose for about 10 days or so. 

My psychiatrist added in 10 mg of Celexa with this. After a while, since I was not doing well, she had me increase the Celexa to 20 mg. Ever since then (4 days), I've been an emotional wreck. I am shaking, sweating, my heart pounds whenever I move, I am having trouble sleeping, I can't eat, and I feel the most awful anxiety and dread. 

I went back down to 10 mg of Celexa this morning, but am still the same so far. The Celexa can make people jittery & anxious, etc.

What I am feeling is MORE than jittery. It's almost a panicky feeling. I don't feel like myself. I feel this horrible sense of dread, like I've been swallowed by this big, black, horrible state I'm in, and I can't find myself. Looking around at my surroundings, everything seems tinted by this dread. 

My current plan is to start doing the gradual bead removal (soon), but I am terrified. What I want to know is, is it likely I'll feel panic and dread every day of this for the next several months? Are there good days and bad days, ups and downs? I don't know if I've ever been so scared in my life. 

#2 Ramona80

Ramona80

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:05 AM

I will partially answer my own question. After going back down to 10mg of Celexa early this morning, a few hours later a wonderful drowsiness came over me, and I slept. And I woke up feeling a little better. Not as shaky, not sweaty. 

My psych. wants me to try to go off the Celexa completely now, as she agrees this may have been complicating things. I hope there will be more relief as I get off the Celexa.

My other question still stands though, if anyone wants to take that one on!

#3 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 02:31 PM

Ramona80

It takes time (often weeks) for psychiatric meds to come fully on-stream. Adjusting dosages over short terms will keep you in a perpetual state of transition and you'll never know what's causing what.

You have to pick a drug regimen and stick to it until it levels out (might take a few weeks), then after you are stable you can consider altering one or more of the drugs.  It's not surprising the anxiety is spiking-- do you have an anti-anxiety med?

I understand the trepidation surrounding the question of withdrawing while you are in this agitated state; if you are able to find a stable state, that would be the best place from which to consider withdrawal.

#4 Ramona80

Ramona80

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 03:20 PM

Well, the problem is she prescribed me Celexa on a low dose before finding out that that can be an interference when you're also on Cymbalta. She said in retrospect she shouldn't have involved Celexa. That's why we're removing it now. The plan is to hold steady at 50 mg of Cymbalta, meantime, hoping I can stable out there, and then resume withdrawing. 

#5 Ramona80

Ramona80

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 03:22 PM

Oh, and i don't have anything to help with anxiety, but I have a call into the doctor to talk about this. She mentioned at our last appt. that this might help. I was going to ask her about Xanax, as I have a friend who was telling me how that works for her.

#6 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 14 April 2015 - 03:33 PM

Ramona,

I took/take Alprazolam (Xanax) and it helped immensely with the anxiety.  I was up to 3mg/day during the worst of it.  I have taken it for quite a while and it is said that benzos "poop out" after a few months.  I can't say for sure since it could now be nothing but a placebo but it works!

I am currently taking only 1 to 1 1/2 mgs of the prescribed 2mg/day.

Whatever your Dr. prescribes for you, I'm sure that you will notice a difference.  Anxiety is the worst thing I have ever experienced as I never had it before taking this crap drug.  

#7 Ramona80

Ramona80

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 04:10 PM

I'm glad you got relief! I spoke with my doctor, and I mentioned Xanax, but she said she would prefer me to take Ativan. That's what she called in, and she said to take it before bed tonight.

#8 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 14 April 2015 - 04:55 PM

Hi Ramona,

In answer to your question about the good days/bad days and ups/downs with this process ... the answer is a resounding YES !

My own experience is that at first there were nothing but bad days ... maybe the first 2 weeks or so (for me, it's different for everyone) ... then came some good minutes ... hours ... then a whole day ... and it continued to build from there ... you are NOT trapped in the hard part ... even if you don't feel it, with each moment that you stay off the poison, you are moving forward ... and you will soon get to a "vantage point" where you can see / feel this for yourself ...

This is a process that simply cannot be rushed ... it proceeds according to how much time our brain needs to re-wire itself and heal ... think of it as a type of brain injury ... it takes time, and patience with yourself ... and lots of rest ...

As soon as you get that anxiety under control you'll feel 110% better ...

I don't know the statistics, but it sure seems like almost everyone on this forum has been hit by anxiety as part of their "quitting Cymbalta" saga ... when we're in the midst of anxiety we just can't rest and heal well ...

My bet is that the Ativan will do the trick. Please let us know !

#9 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 05:35 PM

Ramona80

"Well, the problem is she prescribed me Celexa on a low dose before finding out that that can be an interference when you're also on Cymbalta. She said in retrospect she shouldn't have involved Celexa. That's why we're removing it now."

Here's the caution regarding the interaction between these two drugs. It's possible you experienced some of the interaction symptoms in the short time you were on Celexa + Cymbalta. Don't worry, it's being addressed now.

From drugs.com

INTERACTION- EXTREME (Celexa and Cymbalta)

citalopram ↔ duloxetine

Applies to: Celexa (citalopram), Cymbalta (duloxetine)

Using citalopram together with DULoxetine can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should seek immediate medical attention if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

#10 LittleLamb

LittleLamb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:28 PM

Ramona,

The feelings your experiencing can be awful but it will soon pass.  I was taking Cymbalta, but was also taking Buspirone and Lamotrigine to help balance the anxiety with the depression.  You might ask your doctor about combining another medicine with Cymbalta as a double team effect.  The Ativan will help you with the anxiety until the Cymbalta starts to kick in.  Everyone is different as it can take days to at least two weeks before you really begin to tell a difference.  Exercising will help you channel that nervous energy, even if all you do is walk.  Exercising will help your body produce its own natural "good feelings" and it may only last a little while, but its better than nothing and will give you a break in between the constant flood of emotions.  Hang in there, you'll get there.

I have Major Depressive Disorder and my body is extremely sensitive to new medications and changes in medication.  I have tried several anti-depressants.  Sometimes its trial and error, between you and your doctor, until you find the right one for you that works best with your body chemistry.

Good Luck!!

#11 maria323

maria323

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • why_joining:
    To help others going through Cymbalta withdrawal

Posted 21 April 2015 - 12:26 AM

Hi Ramona,

What you are feeling is totally normal when you are weaning off this horrible drug. I weaned off Cymbalta 60 mg over 9 months. I officially took my last pill yesterday. I felt withdrawals along the way that weren't fun. I had tummy issues, IBS, nausea and the worst was the waves of anxiety/panic. It felt like weird rushes of adrenaline. I had some really bad days but nothing like it is when you cold turkey withdraw. You have to keep reminding yourself that the symptoms DO end. During this time you have to be kind to yourself. I kept an anxiety journal to keep track of the symptoms and feelings I was having. Take a multivitamin and Omega 3 for any brain issues and get plenty of rest. The Benzos like Ativan help but try not to get in the habit of taking them unless you absolutely have to. I take 1/2 a mg if I'm feeling anxious. Good Luck!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users