2 replies to this topic

#1 Ramona80

Ramona80

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:05 PM

Does it help with the emotional aspect of anxiety, or just the physical aspects? My psychiatrist refused to prescribe it because she said it'd only help with the physical symptoms (sweating, shaking, fast heartbeat, etc.) 

From what I've read online it sounds like it DOES help with the emotional anxiety. Can anyone confirm? Fishinghat maybe? 

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:44 PM

Clonidine is an alpha agonist. That means it stimulates the alpha adrenaline nerve receptors in the frontal cortex of the brain. The adrenal gland does NOT have a parasympathetic nerve to it like most organs. Therefore the brain can NOT directly signal the adrenal gland to produce less adrenaline when it gets carried away (stress). Instead there is a set of receptors in the front of the brain that is sensitive to adrenaline (alpha adrenergic receptors). When it perceives too much adrenaline in the blood system it slows the signals to the adrenal gland and therefore less adrenaline is made. This calms a person, lowers metabolism and returns blood pressure to normal. This is the basis to anxiety. A function of an adrenaline rush called flight or fight. Normally our body recovers on its own and the person calms BUT in those who are exposed to deep stress or long term stress the adrenal gland  becomes 'conditioned' to produce adrenaline on a continuous basis. The is called a chronic adrenergic state. Another name for anxiety. Clonidine activates this center in the brain which is fooled into thinking there is too much adrenaline in the blood and slows adrenaline production. Yes it relieves many of the physical symptoms BUT with less of the adrenaline present it relieves most of the anxiety's psychological symptoms as well. The emotional swings, panic attacks, hard to focus, confusion, mind racing, etc. These are all byproducts of adrenaline. The FDA has approved clonidine for use on panic attacks, mood swings etc.

As TM has said often before, there is NO link found between serotonin, dopamine or other neurotransmitters and anxiety. It is a function of adrenaline period. It is impossible to totally control anxiety with adrenaline controlling medicine like clonidine because it may reduce the blood pressure too much. One should start slowly on clonidine or any other alpha agonist or beta blocker (they control adrenaline). Give your body a chance to adapt and the blood pressure drop can be minimized. I am going to try and find one of my old publications on a chronic adrenergic state (anxiety) and post it. It explains in detail how anxiety is formed.

#3 Ramona80

Ramona80

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 02:24 PM

Makes sense, because I usually feel like my body is flooded with adrenaline. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users