• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 IWantToFeelAgain

IWantToFeelAgain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 08:11 AM

Hi - i was wondering if anyone could help.

I am currently on 30mg which i have been told is lower than the therapeutic dose (i have reduced from 90mg over the last couple of years). My mood is extremely up and down and at times i am experiencing frequent thoughts of suicide. I am aware that this could be my underlying mood, however my aim is to come of the medication completely so that i can tell for sure.

What i am interested in understanding is whether being on a lower than therapeutic dose can actually have a negative impact on mental state. This may sound bizarre but i was thinking that perhaps the lower chemical levels may produce a different reaction. I will continue to reduce carefully and slowly, however wanted to know whether it was possible that the lower dose can be slightly problematic itself.

Thanks,

M

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 01 June 2015 - 08:42 AM

Suicidal thoughts are relatively common especially in younger people. Most of the medical research I was able to find on this subject was in relation to start-up of the drug. However, thoughts of suicide can develop during withdrawal from this drug. We have certainly seen this on this site. This must be taken seriously in any case. Does your dr know about this? You must include him/her and get their help in addressing this.

#3 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 01 June 2015 - 04:42 PM

Help M,

I was on 30mg for four months and those suicidal thoughts came to me once, scared the hell out of me! And it happened once also in withdrawal.

I never in my life had those thoughts. Came down to 15mg for one month then off. Could not stand the way cymbalta made me feel. During those four months I went to 60 mg for 10 days, awful!

Cross tapering could be a good idea while you lower your dose.

Feel free to stop by anytime, many have experience with cross tapering if you wish to do that. Welcome to the forum M !

#4 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 05:43 PM

M

There's no way to tell what's causing what: too little drug; too much drug; the wrong drug; drugs in general. You have to experiment, and that's likely what your doctor will do-- up the dosage, cross-taper onto something else, or withdraw you completely. In chasing symptoms it's all trial-and-error, and you will be challenged to be patient and wait for things to play out and mind states to slowly change.

I believe suicidal thoughts are normal, but the term is abstract and needs to be unpacked to determine what it means in a given situation. The basic thought of suicide surely crosses the mind of every human if only in an intellectual context. I'm sure it arises in a more salient form in times of crisis, self-doubt, and self criticism; when I was on Cymbalta suicide was part of my inner dialogue for a couple of months before I knew I had to withdraw from the drug.

A noteworthy change surely would be that moment of change from ideation to action-- just thinking about it-- to actually loading the gun. Thoughts may be re-directed, but once there is motion down that road of no return-- it's too late.

Talk to someone if you are concerned that there's a short step to the "action" phase. One question to ask yourself is, "Is there someone who really needs me?"

Take care

#5 IWantToFeelAgain

IWantToFeelAgain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 06:19 PM

Thanks all.

My Dr knows about the suicidal thoughts, he just wants me to go back to 90mg. I really want to try to come off altogether though to see what its like on the other side!

I don't think i am anywhere near actually taking suicidal action, however until i started reducing from cymbalta i had never really had suicidal thoughts like i am having now (many times a day). As i have remained at 30mg for couple of months now i was wondering if the low dose could be part of the problem. It certainly is a case of trial and error, and sadly the doctors seem clueless - they just want to up the medication all the time. I realise that they have to look at it from a risk perspective, however it is my life!

Thanks again.

#6 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 06:52 PM

jm

I'm not surprised the doctor wants to raise the dosage since you were 'stable' on the higher dosage.

My unprofessional opinion is that you are currently in withdrawal from the drop from 90 mg, and the two months hasn't been enough time for you to stabilize. It's clear you wish to explore your world without Cymbalta, so I think if you are going to withdraw further there ought be a therapist on board to assist, and you should wait until you feel stable at 30 before proceeding.

Considering the length of exposure to duloxetine, when you do proceed below 30 mg, use a longer timeline like perhaps 8 months to start and adjust as you go along if you are symptom-free.  We can help you as you go.

But you will have to decide what you need to do-- go back on or work to get off. There is no right or wrong here, there's only quality of life, and you will have to decide what quality means. I wish you all the best!

Take care.

#7 ZappAlta

ZappAlta

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 04:41 AM

I Want -- I never took the therapeutic dose for the year and a half I was on it briefly took 30 mg then down to 20 mg .  No I never did have suicidal side effects . I would say start reducing with maybe a cross taper under Dr supervision . I woulden't go back up as your goal is to get off it and feel again which will take time and patience .

#8 IWantToFeelAgain

IWantToFeelAgain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 08:33 AM

Thanks all - I have remained on 30mg since my post (ignoring the good docs advice), and i am actually starting to feel a bit better. Still not great but the suicidal thinking has reduced considerably.

I will continue to not rush it, and will also continue to stay engaged with doctor. I will also consider the possibility of cross tapering. Thanks again all of you - this site has been such an immense help.

Thanks

#9 ZappAlta

ZappAlta

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 03:53 AM

Thanks for the update and glad you feel a slight improvement.

#10 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 10 June 2015 - 04:24 PM

Good move! Cross tapering is indeed favorable.

Nice to hear that you are feeling a bit better! Keep posting Iwanttofeelagain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users