#1 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,868 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 04 July 2015 - 11:56 AM

As many of you remember I posted a list of some research articles which claim that Vitamin C can help treat anxiety and/or depression as well as fight oxidative stress. Always looking for a way to deal with mine I followed the research advice and tried 1000 mg per day (500 mg twice per day). Most of the research did 6 weeks testing. I noticed that by the 6th week I had better cognitive function and much less of the physical symptoms such as heartpounding, skip beats, head spinning, shakiness when stressed. I did not notice any change in anxiety although maybe slightly more irritable. I also felt stronger physically and more mentally resilient and more confident. Unluckily I also started noticing chest pain, bad fatigue and the irritability after just 3 weeks. These three side effects are reported in 5 to 10% of the cases of Vitamin C usage. Needless to say I have stopped the vitamin C until these symptoms go away. I am certainly eager to try it again as I liked the mental clarity and resilience.

I found out that vitamin C has a 84 DAY half life. This means that any vitamin C you ingested will take 84 days to half flush out of the body. I think this is why the 6 week tests were successful with little side effects. Not enough time for it to build up in the body. Once I feel better I am going to give it a try at 500 once per day. If I start to develop symptoms I will try 250.

#2 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:51 PM

FH,

Thank you for that informative writing.  I also have been taking 1000 mg/day for several months now and wonder if that could be the cause of my extreme fatigue.  I must admit to a bit of irritability as well.

I am going to cut back to 500 for the next 3 months to see what happens.

Your research is greatly appreciated - thanks! :)

#3 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,868 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:58 PM

I bet you are right Liz. It may take a few weeks to fade away as slow as the C is excreted.

#4 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 04 July 2015 - 04:14 PM

Been taking 1000 each day for years. Did not see changes. But, when I feel a cold coming, I up to 4 or 5000 for a few days, that does the trick more often than not!

84 days, wow! I am a smoker, so I need more. I grind vitamin C and add it to my face cream and body cream. Apparently it is 20 times more effective than being taken orally. (Dr oz)

#5 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,868 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 04 July 2015 - 04:54 PM

Cigarette ingredients destroy vitamin C so you are right in saying you need more. Seems Like I saw something about using Vitamin C topically. I will see if I can find that.

#6 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,868 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 04 July 2015 - 05:02 PM

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3673383/

Interesting reading.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users