3 replies to this topic

#1 MrsR09

MrsR09

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 03:05 AM

Hello,

I have been on Cymbalta for depression, suicidal thoughts and Fibromyalgia for about a year and a half. I had been on 60mg about 4 years prior for depression and fibro with success.
To begin, 60mg was OK for a few months. Then I hit another low and my doctor upped me to 120MG. I have been on 120 for about 9 months.

I feel no better. In fact, weight gain is off the charts. I'm still very depressed and I have very vivid nightmares every night. My personality has changed too. And not in a positive way. I need off of this now. And I need off myself because every time I see my doctor and tell him I don't feel better or it's not helping - his answer is to take more. As in go up to 180MG per day. Everything I have read says effectiveness plateaus at 120mg. Anything more is essentially worthless.
I need off. And I need help figuring out a safe way to taper. I am the sole earner in my family and I have two young children. I need to be able to function. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Nothing has gotten better since I've started this medication. Nothing. I used to be in shape, active, kept a neat house. Now I just don't care and all I want to do is sleep.

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:31 AM

Welcome Mrs R09

With the history of suicidal thoughts I would NOT consider weaning off the Cymbalta. Cymbalta withdrawal can be a hell. In cases like your it can bring back the suicidal thoughts and we don't want that. Obviously the Cymbalta is not the answer for your depression either. My suggestion is cross-tapering to a different ssri/snri to see if that will serve you better. Ones like Zoloft, Lexapro and Prozac have longer half lives and are easier to wean off of. Many on here go from Cymbalta to one of these and then wean off once settled in. Cross-tapering is where the dr slowly reduces your Cymbalta and at the same time slowly increases your new ssri/snri.

This is a conservative approach but with the suicidal thoughts I think it would be safer. Given your history I really think you should include your physician in on this decision. If you don't trust him/her to work it out with you....well it is time for a new dr.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

God Bless

#3 Ramona80

Ramona80

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:29 PM

I agree with FH, I would work with a doctor on this -- sounds like it might be time to find a different doctor that will work better with you, and can help you find a medication that will work for you! Best of luck to you! 

#4 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada
  • why_joining:
    I need help and I know I will feel better if I can offer help to others

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:36 PM

Just a question? Did the suicidal thoughts occur before going on the Cymbalta?

The idea of going up to a dose of 180mg of Cymbalta is crazy and much too high from what the manufacturer suggests. I am with the rest and suggest that it is time to try a different SSRI or SNRI  and if your doctor doesn't agree then it is time to find a new doctor.

If the med only helps for such a short time what will happen 6 months or so down the line when this dangerously high dose doesn't work anymore? A higher dose after that could have very dangerous side effects.

Take care of you and let us know if we can help if needed. We do have to be our own advocates when it comes to these meds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users