11 replies to this topic

#1 Sleepyhead

Sleepyhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 11:27 AM

I'm reducin very slowly but today have severe anxiety attacks. Can I use lorazepam

#2 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 03:28 PM

Sleepyhead

Absolutely-- yes. It's prudent to use benzodiazepines on an as-needed basis for anxiety. Be kind to yourself; Mother Teresa was wrong when she said suffering is a gift from God.

#3 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 31 July 2015 - 06:30 PM

Remember to use it sparingly as it is very addictive. Only when absolutely necessary.

#4 maria323

maria323

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • why_joining:
    To help others going through Cymbalta withdrawal

Posted 31 July 2015 - 07:52 PM

Hi, I too was wondering about how often I should use Lorazepam. I'm 3 months into withdrawal and am getting hit with anxiety big time! I am scared to use it for fear of getting addicted to it.

#5 Sleepyhead

Sleepyhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 08:59 PM

Thanks for your replies! It's so ironic to be having anxiety about taking something (Lorazepam) for anxiety. Unfortunately my experience with Cymbalta has me feeling like I'm poisoning myself and terrified of all pharmaceuticals now.

I had been tapering so slowly that I had mainly experienced fatigue as a side effect. I think I tapered too much this week because I have been hit with terrible withdrawal effects.

It's been a long day full of anxiety attacks. I have taken a half mg Lorazepam and will not be so afraid. I know now that I shouldn't be.

I've learned that the upset to my brain caused by taking out only a few extra balls was significant so I won't be doing that again. In 4.5 months I've slowly tapered from 30 mg to 15 mg of CymbaLta. The fear today that I felt I was dying has led me to reassure myself that 15 mg of the poison isn't so bad. Eventually I will be done with it. It's unbelievably powerful stuff though. Wow!

#6 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 12:36 AM

It's surely different for everyone, but I read somewhere that more than 3 times per week of .5 mg Lorazepam is pushing into the dependence envelope. As FH said, benzos are a tough addiction to withdraw from; it's best not get hooked in the beginning. I know-- easy to say when you're not staring down into that horrific black hole that is anxiety.

I've been there: I've lived on the event horizon of that dark singularity-- I got hooked on Lorazepam and I scrambled on my belly for a couple of months getting free. And it's a Catch-22 because the Ativan alleviates the anxiety, but withdrawing from it creates more anxiety! Therefore it's a delicate task-- like trimming the toenails on a scorpion.

As always, take this information for what it is-- anecdotal: it's only a version of reality-- a single perspective, a solitary tile in the mosaic that is the truth. Do your own research, and kids-- be your own medical advocates!

Take care.

#7 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 01 August 2015 - 12:46 PM

You guys might want to consider talking to your drs about either hydroxyzine or clonidine. Neither are addictive and both work as well as benzos but like any drug there are down sides. Both can drop your bp some (not huge amounts) and if you come off the clonidine it is best to come off over a 2 week period or you will get an uncomfortable rebound spike. I have went away from benzos and use hydroxyzine now. I am very pleased with it. I can increase and decrease doses at will without any withdrawal. About 0.2% report withdrawal with this product so I can't say it will not happen but it is unlikely.

#8 maria323

maria323

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • why_joining:
    To help others going through Cymbalta withdrawal

Posted 01 August 2015 - 01:40 PM

Thanks for the info. I got hit with this massive wave. It's been a week now and I have so much anxiety/adrenaline surging through my body. Does it end? I'm over three months into withdrawal. I thought I would be feeling better by now.

#9 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 01 August 2015 - 04:48 PM

Unluckily Maria you are probably just getting ready to see brief periods of improvement. It will come in small increments at first. One key thing to remember is when you start to feel better DON"T overdo it. That always seems to set things back considerably. This is the time to be nice to yourself.

#10 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 03 August 2015 - 12:18 PM

I just wanted to add some of my notes on benzos/esp lorazepam. Most is from the manufacturers, some from research documents and some from general websites. Thank you to those who have contributed to this collection of info.

Benzo Notes

Addictiveness

Third most addictive benzo is lorazepam.
Lorazepam NOT to be used daily.
Originally the maker said to only use Lorazepam for 4 weeks or less to minimize risk of addiction BUT know they say that Lorazepam shoul;d only be used daily for 7 days or less to minimize addition.

Usage

Use benzos for 4 to 6 months only. Not effective after 4 months for anxiety.
People build tolerance and require higher dosages or increased frequency to get same result.

Benzo Side Effects

Amnesia (Lorazepam)
Eliminates REM sleep
Patients experience unusual fatique during days. (Lorazepam)
Depletes melatonin and anti-oxidants and decreases immune system (Lorazepam)
Increases risk of cancer. (Lorazepam)
Fever and chills (Lorazepam)
Impotency and no orgasm
Contains lactose and may worsen IBS. (Lorazepam)

Benzo Withdrawal Effects

Depression/Anxiety
Sweating, fever/chills.
Difficulty in swallowing, nausea, abdominal pain, diarrhea, gas, bloating and heartburn so bad many go to hospital for GI investigation.

Withdrawal

Do not take ANY benzos within 2 years after withdrawal. If taken before that time then easier to get addicted, much more difficult withdrawal and will need a larger dose to achieve any benefits.
Full recovery of emotions 2 – 3 months after last dose of benzo.
Lorazepam half-life 10 – 20 hours, 18 to 36 hours for nearly total removal from system.
35% of hospital visits for drug caused panic attacks is from lorazepam.
26% of drug suicides are from lorazepam.
Short-acting benzos difficult to withdraw from due to rapid peaks in blood levels.
NEVER go back up in dosage during withdrawal.
Minimum withdrawal for lorazepam id 16 weeks. (3 mg/day)
May take Diphenhydramine for sleep but limit use.

http://www.alternati...ine-withdrawal/
Drs. Benzo withdrawal treatment.

https://riordanclini...ical-rationale/
500 mg/day helps with benzodiazepine withdrawal.

http://www.whale.to/a/stone_h.html
2,400 to 4,200 mg Vit C for many types of withdrawal.

Misc.

Ambien has same effect on nerve receptors as benzos.
    Use for 2-4 weeks only.
     DO NOT use with benzos, especially fast-acting ones like lorazepam.
11% of US adult population uses benzos.
Do not change type or dose of antidepressants while withdrawing from a benzo. Wait for 4 weeks or more after withdrawal complete to change.

#11 Sleepyhead

Sleepyhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 09:24 PM

Thank you fishing hat for your very detailed information. I appreciate that. It is information I did not know and will use. There is a lot of great information there for me to follow!

#12 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 10:10 PM

fishinghat

Excellent report on the benzos!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users