Photo

How Long Does It Take After Quitting To Start Feeling The Side Effects?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TheDude

TheDude

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:38 PM

I've been taking 60mg for 5-6 years and I just recently stopped cold turkey. It's only been 5 days and I'm definitely feeling pretty miserable. I feel like it started on the 3rd day. Is this possible? Does it happen this fast?

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:56 PM

Or faster. Even the manufacturer warns not to stop the drug cold turkey. I would highly recommend that you immediately reinstate at 6- mg until stable. At that time count the number of beads inside your capsule and remove about 1% of your beds each day. So for 300 beads it would be remove 3 beads the first day and 6 beads the second, etc....

Don't underestimate this withdrawal it can be (but not always) horrible. Slow and steady is much more controllable and tolerable.

#3 TheDude

TheDude

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:59 PM

Yeah, I already restarted! I just never imagined it could happen that fast or be so severe!!

#4 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:43 PM

Love your screen name ! (I assume that's from "The Big Lebowski" -- one of my all time favorites!)

Yes, as FH says, it does hit that fast and that hard ... I know from experience. I was on 60 mg / day for 10 years (since it first came on the market in 2004). I quit cold turkey in early December 2013. I was sick as a dog, in one way or another (and sometimes in all ways) for about 3 months, with gradually fading symptoms over the next 6 months ... couldn't work, could barely leave my apartment.

Age and general physical condition, as well as the condition for which you were taking Cymbalta, affects how hard withdrawal is. (e.g., that I'm in my early 60's and wasn't in "peak" physical shape in general likely made the withdrawal harder.)

Get stable on your original dose, and then start bead counting your way down. FH and lots of the others here can help you with the specifics.

And keep posting to let us know how you're doing!

#5 ZappAlta

ZappAlta

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 03:35 AM

Risky Dude going c/t after been on this long -quitting this c/t can even cause seizures >dont risk it .  go with the advice of the long term posters here.

#6 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 02 September 2015 - 06:52 AM

Zappa ! Hello ! How are you doing ? Good to hear from you !

(apologies, Dude, for hijacking your thread ... Zappa is one of the wonderful folks who helped save me from the throes of CT when I arrived here back in 12/13 ... Z doesn't stop by as often, or stay for as long, as we'd like !)

How are you feeling today, Dude? Have you started to stabilize now that your back on your full dose?

#7 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 02 September 2015 - 03:54 PM

welcome dude!

happy you found us all. I am right behind FN as far as the length of time off this poison. I quit January 10 of 2014 and spent all of that year in one miserable state.

like FN I went cold turkey and didn't find this forum until I was 2 weeks into it.

I'm happy that you are going to do the bead counting I wish that I had known about it

I wish you the best and please keep us posted!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users