8 replies to this topic

#1 jmconner

jmconner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, IN

Posted 21 November 2015 - 06:52 AM

It's been several months since I last posted to this forum. I thought I'd give an update -- and get some input on my progress.

At the end of March I quit taking Cymbalta cold turkey after taking 60 mg daily for over 5 years. Needless to say I went through months of pure hell. Eight months later it's not over, but it's much better. I find that my brain goes through cycles of feeling ok for several weeks to feeling not-so-great for several week. Right now I'm in a not-so-great period. I've been getting bad headaches, as well as the dreaded fatigue and brain fog that comes with these bad periods. And since the brain and the gut seem to work together, I've had a lot of GI issues lately. (This always, always happens during the not-so-great periods.)

Lest someone suggest that, 8 months out, this couldn't still be Cymbalta withdrawal, I am entirely certain that it is.

I just wondered -- from those of you who have gotten to a place of normalcy after going through withdrawal -- if my experience is similar to yours (at about 8 months out) and about how long it was before your symptoms went away altogether.

Thanks!

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 21 November 2015 - 09:09 AM

Good to hear from you JM.

My experience is different than yours but I have been on this site for nearly 3 years receiving and giving help. Your story  matches many I have heard of the years. Doing much better but still cycles suffering. I would say that most in your shoes are pretty satisfied by the end of one year. Not that is a just my feelings on the matter, not a promise.  lol  Even at the end of 1 year many still say they have brief periods of feeling bad but they are light enough where they are just a little uncomfortable. It takes the brain and nerves a long time to heal and return to a more natural state but I think you are well on the way there.

By the way, congratulations. We know how hard it is to get to the point where you are now. Takes a lot of strength and suffering.

#3 jmconner

jmconner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, IN

Posted 21 November 2015 - 09:44 AM

Good to hear from you JM.

My experience is different than yours but I have been on this site for nearly 3 years receiving and giving help. Your story  matches many I have heard of the years. Doing much better but still cycles suffering. I would say that most in your shoes are pretty satisfied by the end of one year. Not that is a just my feelings on the matter, not a promise.  lol  Even at the end of 1 year many still say they have brief periods of feeling bad but they are light enough where they are just a little uncomfortable. It takes the brain and nerves a long time to heal and return to a more natural state but I think you are well on the way there.

By the way, congratulations. We know how hard it is to get to the point where you are now. Takes a lot of strength and suffering.

Thanks, fishinghat. I can easily say that this has been the hardest thing I've ever done in the almost 50 years of my life. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone. :) 

I do think that this "round" of not-so-good is not as bad as the last round of not-so-good. What's frustrating is, just when I think it's mostly over, my brain decides to go another round. 

You responded to several of my postings (if not all) when I was posting many months ago and was truly going through a crisis, and you've posted again now. I am grateful to you for that. Thank you for giving me and the other frightened posters in this forum some reliable information to help us understand what we're going through, as well as a great, great deal of encouragement and hope. I don't know who you are, but you are wonderful.

#4 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 27 November 2015 - 09:01 PM

Thanks, fishinghat. I can easily say that this has been the hardest thing I've ever done in the almost 50 years of my life. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone. :)

I do think that this "round" of not-so-good is not as bad as the last round of not-so-good. What's frustrating is, just when I think it's mostly over, my brain decides to go another round. 

You responded to several of my postings (if not all) when I was posting many months ago and was truly going through a crisis, and you've posted again now. I am grateful to you for that. Thank you for giving me and the other frightened posters in this forum some reliable information to help us understand what we're going through, as well as a great, great deal of encouragement and hope. I don't know who you are, but you are wonderful.

Hi jmconner,

I've been off Cymbalta posion since last March was on it for 18 months. Took 3 months to SLOWLY wean off the crap drug. Without the help of fishinghat and thismoment I would have NEVER been able to do it. They were the two who taught me how to "bead count"... I had to drop only 1 bead per day thus the long time to be off the nasty drug. But with their encouragement and support I was able to do it. 

Even tho my brain will more than likely never the quite the same as least I'm off and the journey thru hell is behind me now.

I agree with you in that fishinghat is quite wonderful. There have been others who have found the forum and gotten off Cymbalta and have remained on the forum to give help to the new ppl who find this forum seeking help to be free from this horrible drug.

TC and glad that you're here with us!

TheEquusWoman

#5 DebMorris

DebMorris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:38 AM

Hi JMConnor,

I am on my 4th week off of Cymbalta & was curious about your GI problems.  I too have GI problems & of course worry that there is really something wrong with me.  I had a Ultra sound of my Abdomen done back in September & everything came back fine, but I have a pain on my right side that just doesn't seem to go away.  I went to the Dr's 2 wks ago & they sent me for an upper right quadrant Ultra Sound & again all normal.  I am wondering if I should go to a Gastrologist but wonder if this is all from my withdrawal.  I know that withdrawal can play havoc on your system but just wonder why it is always there.  If you don't feel comfortable explaining I understand.  Also congrats on being Cymbalta free for 8 months it is a long hard journey!!!

Thanks

Debbie

#6 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 04 December 2015 - 02:56 PM

Cymbalta controls serotonin that is a neurotransmitter that not only controls mood but also your digestive tract. Nausea, diarrhea, cramps abdominal pains are common symptoms that come with the withdrawal. I am glad you had it checked out Deb. Luckily these will be one of the earliest symptoms to fade away. You should start getting better (digestively speaking) in around 2 weeks.

#7 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 04 December 2015 - 03:40 PM

Hi Deb,

I wanted to add that the gastro issues can easily be a byproduct of the anxiety that occurs during cymbalta withdrawal... a side effect of a side effect so to speak. so if they don't subside after a few more weeks, that could also be a culprit. however, as bad as anxiety is, it seems many of its physical symptoms change over time - so what is gastro in nature can fade and then its heart palpitations, dizziness or something else - a veritable kaleidoscope of symptoms!

however, "dr" fishinghat's point about the relationship between serotonin and the digestive tract is well known. all of us have experienced the gastro effects for the first month or so. i don't know about others, but i gained a lot of weight on cymbalta (as well as other psychoactive drugs) . when i quit, the weight came flying off. i always thought that the gastro issues were how the body gets rid of the weight. i don't know if that is true or not, but it sure made sense to me. i mean, it has to go somewhere right? ;-)

#8 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 04 December 2015 - 05:56 PM

Hi Brz

As you exercise the body requires more energy so fat is mobilized and transported from fat deposits to the cells. The cells breakdown the fat into its components and they are 'burned" up in the mitochondria. This is a small organelle in the cell. This burning of fat releases energy and that energy is transported by ATP/ADP and a couple other compound to areas in the body where it is needed. This causes body weight to drop UNLESS we are eating too many calories and the body is able to replace the fat immediately. Boy have I been there.

#9 AKAnole

AKAnole

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 11:37 AM

JMConner, 

How are you feeling now? Did that not-so-great period pass? Do you take any supplements to ease the symptoms you experience? I've been off four and a half months after taking 60mg for three years then 30mg for three years. Reading that at 8 months you are still having these symptoms makes me wonder if my journey will be similar. I'm curious how do you ride the wave?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users