5 replies to this topic

#1 katrand65

katrand65

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • why_joining:
    for support, encouragement & friendship while weaning off of cymbalta. Hope to be able to help others too during my journey.

Posted 26 November 2015 - 10:31 AM

First off, I want to express how happy I am to have found this forum! I've read several posts and strings already and am thankful to see so much support being offered to members.

Some background health information which may impact how I go about weaning down from my current dose of 60 mg:  I have Hashimoto's disease and am hypothyroid; I also have asthma, some arthritis and a couple of skin-related auto immune disorders added in just for fun. :P  I switched from synthcrap (my term for synthroid) after 25 years to an NDT (naturally dessicated thyroid) after doing a lot of research, reading, and discovering an equally supportive thyroid patient group on Facebook.  I first started on antidepressants in 1990 (prozac) - it was never supposed to be a long-term treatment.  25 years later, I'm still taking them and feeling increasingly less happy about it.

I began to realize that most of the depression/pain symptoms I had been having all of these years were connected to my undertreated thyroid condition. About 1.5 years ago, I switched from Effexor to Cymbalta hoping it would help alleviate my pain.  Cymbalta did nothing for my joint & muscle pain.  As  my heath status has improved over the last 7 months, I decided to start weaning off the Cymbalta (I take the generic form).

Right now, I have 10 60 mg capsules left and a new bottle of 30 mgs.  It is my understanding that counting the beads in the capsules and reducing by 3 beads/day (more or less, depending on w/d symptoms) is recommended.

Just wondering if there is anyone else in this group that is hypothyroid? If so, how did the weaning impact your health? 

Thank you all & best wishes for a very happy Thanksgiving!

#2 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 26 November 2015 - 11:35 AM

UPDATE: the suggested taper method suggested in my original post is super super slow ... i have consulted a web site that comes highly recommended for their taper methods for a wide variety of psychoactive drugs: http://survivinganti...lta-duloxetine/

by the way, the web site "surviving antidepressants" is not affiliated with cymbaltawithdrawal.com

hello katrand!

glad to see you want to get everything in order prior to starting a weaning process. not all of us knew it mattered or had the choice.

i do not know anything about thyroid conditions but i know there are many who have posted over a number of years that have hypothyroid issues - and some specifically related to hashimoto's. a forum member, equuswoman, comes to mind. she is not on as often these days but she successfully weaned off cymbalta which she had been taking for pain. if i recall correctly, it took her nearly a year as she was very sensitive to the med. i have no idea if that was related to her thyroid issues or independent of that. i hope she sees your thread -  i know if she does she will absolutely respond. she is a very sweet, supportive and caring woman and well loved on this site. 

one thing that is important - since you are on generic - you need to count the number of beads inside your caps. i understand that the size and therefore the number of beads can vary from brand to brand. also, i am not sure how to handle dropping on 60's and then moving over to 30's. based on the supply you describe - you will need to stock up more.  forum member fishinghat can give you better guidance in that regard - when combining 30's and 60's the math makes my head explode ;-)

the standard strategy for generics involves reducing by a % of beads rather than a given number. if you have a scale that measures milligrams you can measure by weight as well. i also understand that it is important not to mix different brands of generics or generic with the name brand cymbalta. the recommended percent drop is around 5% a month, depending on tolerance. many start at 5% and when they get down to a dosage of around 15 mg or so slow down the drop rate to between 3% and 1%. how many beads that is a day will vary depending on the "design" of your pills - since the number of beads vary from brand to brand..

it will be more difficult if you have the generic type that only has between 4-12 large beads. in that case it is recommended to take out one bead and let yourself stabilize for at least a couple weeks before removing the next one. no doubt in that case you will feel stronger  withdrawal symptoms.

most important everyone is different some can tolerate a quicker drop than others. if at anytime you feel you've dropped too fast and symptoms come on strong - you can wait several days/weeks until you feel "normalized/stabilized" again before you take another drop. all this being said... you will not be symptom free - but its way better than cold turkey! even small reductions yeild a certain level of symptoms. listen to your body, some folks tolerate symptoms better than others. also, it takes patience. many have felt that they are only prolonging the withdrawal experience and want to "rip the band aid off" and end up in cold turkey withdrawal. avoid that temptation

yes, there is math involved! ;-)

all the best and have a happy thanksgiving!

Edited by brzghoff, 26 November 2015 - 01:29 PM.

#3 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 26 November 2015 - 08:12 PM

Hi Kat

Brz got it right. Count the beads start at 3 beads  a day drop or something similar and adjust as you go. Slower is always easier so it really depends on how much you are willing to suffer and how much you are patient.

I am also hypothyroid at the moment. This is due to several contrast images that caused very high elevated iodine and hypothyroidism. So my situation is different than your. Never been and probably never will be on thyroid medicine as I have just about returned to normal.

A couple notes for you. Nearly all ssri/snri can cause elevated TSH although it is unusual for them to cause low t3 or t4. If the Cymbalta has had that effect on your TSH then after you have been off the crapalta for a couple months the TSH may drop and as you well know then the levels of  t3 and t4 may drop. Just something to keep in the back of your mind.

#4 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 27 November 2015 - 08:16 PM

First off, I want to express how happy I am to have found this forum! I've read several posts and strings already and am thankful to see so much support being offered to members.

Some background health information which may impact how I go about weaning down from my current dose of 60 mg:  I have Hashimoto's disease and am hypothyroid; I also have asthma, some arthritis and a couple of skin-related auto immune disorders added in just for fun. :P  I switched from synthcrap (my term for synthroid) after 25 years to an NDT (naturally dessicated thyroid) after doing a lot of research, reading, and discovering an equally supportive thyroid patient group on Facebook.  I first started on antidepressants in 1990 (prozac) - it was never supposed to be a long-term treatment.  25 years later, I'm still taking them and feeling increasingly less happy about it.

I began to realize that most of the depression/pain symptoms I had been having all of these years were connected to my undertreated thyroid condition. About 1.5 years ago, I switched from Effexor to Cymbalta hoping it would help alleviate my pain.  Cymbalta did nothing for my joint & muscle pain.  As  my heath status has improved over the last 7 months, I decided to start weaning off the Cymbalta (I take the generic form).

Right now, I have 10 60 mg capsules left and a new bottle of 30 mgs.  It is my understanding that counting the beads in the capsules and reducing by 3 beads/day (more or less, depending on w/d symptoms) is recommended.

Just wondering if there is anyone else in this group that is hypothyroid? If so, how did the weaning impact your health? 

Thank you all & best wishes for a very happy Thanksgiving!

Hi katran65,

Welcome to the forum. I am off the Cymbalta now for 20 months thus far. Was on the poison for 18 months. It was a journey through hell and "back"...

I was able to do this with the help of fishinghat and thismoment. I had to wean very, very slowly dropping only 1 bead per day. But I was on the brand name and each capsule of 60mg contained 200 tenny, tiny beads.

Oh btw i'm hypothyroid and was diagnosed with Hashamoto's as well.

Glad that you are here. The ppl here can help you as they did me.

In my thoughts and prayers,

TheEquusWoman :hug:

#5 katrand65

katrand65

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • why_joining:
    for support, encouragement & friendship while weaning off of cymbalta. Hope to be able to help others too during my journey.

Posted 28 November 2015 - 09:56 AM

Thank you, fishinghat, brzghoff and equuswoman for your input and support!

My generic 60 mg capsules have a lot of very tiny beads. For about 4 days - before I found this forum - I was alternating the 60 mg & 30 mg doses and had not (thankfully!) experienced any withdrawal symptoms on the 2 days that I took the 30 mg. I've decided to start with removing 6 beads, then 12, etc.  I've become very self-aware of symptoms as part of my hashi's/hypo treatment, so if/when I start to experience withdrawal symptoms from the cymbalta, I'll know to wait & stabilize before continuing to remove more beads.

Fishinghat, you commented on TSH levels being elevated - my current level (as of 11/11) is at < 0.03. This is due to being on a naturally dessicated thyroid med and is an expected level.  My main problem is with elevated reverse T3 since my body struggles to convert T4 to T3.

Equuswoman - are you taking synthroid or generic equivalent or are you on and NDT?  Just wondering since you had to wean at a very slow rate.

Happy saturday!! :rolleyes:

#6 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 28 November 2015 - 10:13 AM

Thanks for the info Kat. I didn't think the TSH would be an issue but...

The six beads is a starting point. Adjust as you go and God bless. Keep us posted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users