#1 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 10 December 2015 - 11:45 AM

I know that no one here is surprised, but another outrage reported in today's NY Times: http://www.nytimes.c...to-infants.html

per the article: "Almost 20,000 prescriptions for risperidone (commonly known as Risperdal), quetiapine (Seroquel) and other antipsychotic medications were written in 2014 for children 2 and younger, a 50 percent jump from 13,000 just one year before, according to the prescription data companyIMS Health. Prescriptions for the antidepressant fluoxetine (Prozac) rose 23 percent in one year, to about 83,000."

this is for kids 2 years old  and younger!

i understand that when it comes to seizures that parents sometimes get desperate, and that some anti-seizure drugs have been determined to be effective mood stabilizers (i take one, lamictal)... but this article is about the other way around. there is no evidence that risperdal and seroquel are even helpful for seizures in little kids. not to mention that psychoactive drugs are inappropriate for young children for psychiatric reasons as well. all this is about is making it easier for parents and their day care centers to keep the kids under control - give the kid a pill - and mom, dad and the teachers can relax. makes me think of mothers who get cold - and then make their kid put on a sweater. 

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 10 December 2015 - 02:22 PM

Good find Brz!!

#3 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada
  • why_joining:
    I need help and I know I will feel better if I can offer help to others

Posted 10 December 2015 - 06:59 PM

Doesn't surprise me at all.

The drug companies have the adults thinking that they need a drug for all their problems, so of course when they become parents if they have any problems at all with their children the children should have drugs too.

And who knows what harm has been done to the brains of all. Maybe the mess that has been made of the adult brain is passed down to the babies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users