• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Dman2900

Dman2900

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 08:33 AM

I went to the doctor yesterday and he agreed to take me off of the meds and wants me to follow this regimen of doing it....

I am taking 60mg once a day.....

1 week skip every other day of taking the meds.

1 week skip two days of taking the meds

1 week skip three days of taking the meds

by the 4th week no meds.

I took one yesterday before I went to see him so today will be my first day to skip......

I will check in every day until this is over to let you all know how it is going and how I am feeling.....Whish me luck! :)

DAY 1:

This is my first skip day so nothing to report yet.......

Day 2:

After following the doctors advice for one day I can see why he does not know the proper way to get me off of this med.

Symptoms are as follows:

1. Loud ringing in the left ear.

2. Pain in left shoulder.

3. Fatigue/tired

4. Hard to concentrate (I am a Project Engineer doing designs on large 150' diameter X 40' tall oil storage tanks, need to follow code)

5. Hot flashes / sweeting

6. Light headed

All of this from skipping one pill yesterday. I took my pill today and need to check my supply to see if I have enough to do the bead method, if not I will need to get my doctor to prescribe me more. I go back to see him on Feb. 4th so he can determine the next course.

(A little background, this doctor is not the prescribing doctor. He is a new doctor that I had to switch to due to the retirement of the prescribing doctor.)

Whish me luck!

#2 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 06 January 2016 - 09:32 AM

Hi Dman,

Unfortunately you have a Dr. who doesn't have a clue...

The half life of this poison is only 12 hours, so each day that you don't take it you are putting yourself into total withdrawal.  Please do NOT do this!!

I went cold turkey off of 60mg and I don't recommend it. 

Please read the section on BEAD COUNTING - HOW TO DO IT, under the topic Are You New Here?

This is the safest way to get off of this crap and you are in charge - you can go at your own pace and keep the withdrawal at a minimum.

Please come back with any questions - remember, we are here for you!  There are many members who have used the bead counting method and can help you - I wish I had known about it but was off for over a month before finding this forum.  I spent all of 2014 in hell...

#3 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 January 2016 - 09:54 AM

Unluckily Liz is right. Your dr is an idiot. Cymbalta has a half life of 12 hours so every other day you jack up your levels and then for two days crash, reliving the withdrawal. Dumb. bead counting.

#4 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 06 January 2016 - 03:45 PM

Dman,

No,no and no. My goodness, idiots are all over the place as I can see. What the...this is not even suggested by Eli.

Up and down without ending. Been here for two years and never heard anyone doing good this way.

Dman, please don't do this to yourself!

#5 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada
  • why_joining:
    I need help and I know I will feel better if I can offer help to others

Posted 07 January 2016 - 01:14 AM

Yes Dman even Eli Lily (the manufacturer) does not recommend this way. They suggest to gradually decrease the size of the dose not how often you take the med. Unfortunately it seems that Eli Lily did not get that information to the doctors when they realized there was a problem.

If you google Cymbalta on of the choices is the information sheet. Please find it and read what they say about discontinuing 

Take care of you

Nsncy

#6 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:45 AM

Dman,

the advice here is for - real. i understand how you want to follow your doctor's advice - as he/she is the prescribing physician and you would think anyone prescribing a drug would know about what happens when that drug is discontinued - whether it be an anti-biotic, a blood pressure med - or an anti-depressant. unfortunately, doctors aren't up to date in the latest changes/recommendations by the manufacturer. that's why this web site and others like it exist. check out http://www.surviving...depressants.com

as for what eli lily recommends, here is the link to the actual information they supply:

http://pi.lilly.com/us/cymbalta-pi.pdf

you will find the following on page 4:

"2.7 Discontinuing CYMBALTA Adverse reactions after discontinuation of CYMBALTA, after abrupt or tapered discontinuation, include: dizziness, headache, nausea, diarrhea, paresthesia, irritability, vomiting, insomnia, anxiety, hyperhidrosis, and fatigue. A gradual reduction in dosage rather than abrupt cessation is recommended whenever possible [see Warnings and Precautions (5.7)]."

and page 7:

5.7 Discontinuation of Treatment with CYMBALTA Discontinuation symptoms have been systematically evaluated in patients taking CYMBALTA. Following abrupt or tapered discontinuation in adult placebo-controlled clinical trials, the following symptoms occurred at 1% or greater and at a significantly higher rate in CYMBALTA-treated patients compared to those discontinuing from placebo: dizziness, headache, nausea, diarrhea, paresthesia, irritability, vomiting, insomnia, anxiety, hyperhidrosis, and fatigue. During marketing of other SSRIs and SNRIs (serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors), there have been spontaneous reports of adverse events occurring upon discontinuation of these drugs, particularly when abrupt, including the following: dysphoric mood, irritability, agitation, dizziness, sensory disturbances (e.g., paresthesias such as electric shock sensations), anxiety, confusion, headache, lethargy, emotional lability, insomnia, hypomania, tinnitus, and seizures. Although these events are generally self-limiting, some have been reported to be severe. Patients should be monitored for these symptoms when discontinuing treatment with CYMBALTA. A gradual reduction in the dose rather than abrupt cessation is recommended whenever possible. If intolerable symptoms occur following a decrease in the dose or upon discontinuation of treatment, then resuming the previously prescribed dose may be considered. Subsequently, the physician may continue decreasing the dose but at a more gradual rate [see Dosage and Administration (2.7)].

please share this with your doctor. unfortunately, eli lily doesn't offer any advice once you've stepped down to the lowest dose they manufacture, which is 20 mg. they leave it up to the doctor, which is why they do the every other thing. they have no further direction. the survivors of withdrawal on this page offer sage advice. while eli lily advises not to break open the caps, their suggestion is relative to the impact the individual pills can have on your gastro-intestinal tract. that is why we recommend opening it up, taking out beads at a gradual rate, and the remaining beads you take be placed back into the cap and closed before taking it. compounding pharmacies will do this for you - at a price, which is why there are a lot of do-it-yourselfers here. however, the pharmacist typically won't do it without direction from your doctor

#7 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 06:20 PM

I went to the doctor yesterday and he agreed to take me off of the meds and wants me to follow this regimen of doing it....

I am taking 60mg once a day.....

1 week skip every other day of taking the meds.

1 week skip two days of taking the meds

1 week skip three days of taking the meds

by the 4th week no meds.

I took one yesterday before I went to see him so today will be my first day to skip......

I will check in every day until this is over to let you all know how it is going and how I am feeling.....Whish me luck! :)

DAY 1:

This is my first skip day so nothing to report yet.......

Day 2:

After following the doctors advice for one day I can see why he does not know the proper way to get me off of this med.

Symptoms are as follows:

1. Loud ringing in the left ear.

2. Pain in left shoulder.

3. Fatigue/tired

4. Hard to concentrate (I am a Project Engineer doing designs on large 150' diameter X 40' tall oil storage tanks, need to follow code)

5. Hot flashes / sweeting

6. Light headed

All of this from skipping one pill yesterday. I took my pill today and need to check my supply to see if I have enough to do the bead method, if not I will need to get my doctor to prescribe me more. I go back to see him on Feb. 4th so he can determine the next course.

(A little background, this doctor is not the prescribing doctor. He is a new doctor that I had to switch to due to the retirement of the prescribing doctor.)

Whish me luck!

Dman,

looks like you edited your original post instead of creating a new response that will show up as the most current post in the thread. i just noticed by accident that you have added "Day 2". might want to post your updates as a new entry into this thread so we'll see it. sorry to learn you are hitting a rough patch in the every other day strategy. been there done that. i didn't know about bead counting until i was nearly done and couldn't afford any more meds to stretch it out - new insurance wouldn't cover it anymore. i spent most of 2014 struggling with the aftermath of withdrawal. physical and mental pain like i'd never experienced. it would cycle up and down, but when up - it was rough. 

here is a bead counting suggestion by a former member, thismoment. well i say former because he is on hiatus, i suspect he'll come around again some day (i hope!) anyway, his is the top post in the thread. also, you may want to do this based on a % of beads rather than a number, as the lower number of beads you have left, the rougher the withdrawal gets.

https://www.cymbalta...ting#entry63466

good luck. ask any questions and the experienced bead counters will respond - as long as you reply in a new post in this thread instead of editing your original, that way we'll know there is a response! 

#8 Dman2900

Dman2900

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 03:55 PM

Day 4:
I skipped yesterday and took my pill today....

Side effects so far:
1. Very difficult to concentrate.
2. Body numbness. Feels like I am not really here.
3. Hands tingling.
4. Irritation level up
5. Head feels like everything is sluggish
6. Insomnia. ..I was up until 3am, I got up for work friday at 5:30 am.....
7. Hot flashes

This is all I can think of as of now.....

#9 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 09 January 2016 - 09:00 PM

Dman,

Are you going to proceed with the every other day thing?

#10 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada
  • why_joining:
    I need help and I know I will feel better if I can offer help to others

Posted 10 January 2016 - 01:21 AM

Dman

Please go to the Cymbalta information and see the way the manufacturer recommends stopping the med. The way you are doing it is only going to make the process all the more difficult.

The information brzghoff provided is right from the patient printout and is the most accurate.

Reducing the dose size rather than increasing the length of time between doses is the only safe and comfortable way of stopping.

Many have tried the way you are doing in now only to fail or get very sick for a long time.

Take care as we care

#11 Dman2900

Dman2900

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 03:00 PM

Day 6:

The side effects were so bad that I ended up trying to get in to see my doctor on Monday. Needless to say I could not get in so they sent me to the emergency room. The doctor in the emergency room knew my doctor was on call so she called to consult him and they both agreed to put me back on the meds until I can get in to see him at his office.

So long story short......

I am back on the meds and have another doctors appointment with him on Feb. 4th. Hopefully by then he will understand the problems with stopping this medication and will have a better grasp on what I need to do.

Today I still have a headache and ringing in my ears, but the numbness and the feeling like I am going to have a panic attack and the feeling like I am going to vomit is gone.........

2 steps forward........6 steps back! :wacko:

#12 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 12 January 2016 - 03:10 PM

Dman,

Is there a reason why you are not slowly using the bead counting method?

I'm sorry to say this, but your Dr. is obviously an asshat and not informed!  We have all experienced many of these...

We are here to help you!

#13 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 12 January 2016 - 08:14 PM

Ditto TFL

#14 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:25 PM

Dman,

regardless of how you choose to approach weaning off cymbalta, please continue to keep us posted on your progress. 

we care about you!

#15 Dman2900

Dman2900

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 01:19 PM

ok, I am back!....After a few months of slowly ramping down the meds I am finally off of them completely. Now that I am the withdrawal effects are starting to hit me.

I have been completely off of them for 48 hours. Now my head feels like I am drunk and the headaches are bad. My hands are going numb and it is very hard to concentrate at work, where I need to really concentrate on the engineering that I am doing so everything meets code. I let my supervisor know that I am completely off my meds and he is aware of the side effects, along with HR and upper management.

My wife wants me to try and get on something else but I do not want to keep taking shit that will make me feel the way I do when I am on this stuff. The weight gain, 20 to 30 lbs, the hand shakes, the feeling like I am in a daze sometimes. She says I have done 1000% better with my mood swings and everything while I have been on  this.

I just had a conversation with the owner of the company on a project he is doing and it took everything I had to try and comprehend what he was wanting me to do for him.

I know I cant go back on this stuff but I need to be able to function while I am getting thru this.......I am so lost now I can not even keep my thoughts straight while I am typing this....

#16 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 03 May 2016 - 01:54 PM

So sorry Dman but if you are even able to go to work you you are doing well. Have you tried clonidine or hydroxyzine. Both are none addictive and have no withdrawal and usually help anxiety.

#17 Dman2900

Dman2900

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 09:41 AM

fishinghat, thank you for your support.

Today has turned into a fun day for me......

I am feeling just as bad as I did yesterday, if not a little worse.

I get in to work this morning and my supervisor tells me he has to go home to take care of his sick child. I understand and can not fault him for that and would never tell someone not to take care of a sick child. This just leaves me alone today in the engineering department to try and focus and take care of all of the design questions and shop issues that will come up. I will have to man-up and deal with it.

As I am typing this I just lost feeling in my right hand and my left hand is tingling.....what a wonderful drug my doctors and insurance company have put me on!

#18 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 06 May 2016 - 10:03 AM

Dman,

Sorry to hear all this.  You are an extremely strong individual.  Your focus is in the right direction in-spite of the effects of cymbalta  withdrawal.    Do the best you can do.  The advice I can offer is to "listen  to your body because you know your body best".  Hang in there Dman, and keep up doing what you are doing; your words "Man up and deal with it".  If at any time things become difficult for you, please let us know and there are very supportive members here are more than willing to offer their experiences, advice, support and love.  Please keep us informed.   I commend your courage and your way of thinking......

#19 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 07 May 2016 - 02:33 PM

Dman

The only way that I was able to come off the Cymbalta was to slowly wean off by using the bead counting method. I tried to stop cold turkey by "accident" that sucked. Tried doing it the way my physician said that sucked also.

I found this forum and it was here I learned how to bead count and was finally able to get off the poison by slowly weaning by decreasing beads only 1 per day taking me 4 months to do so. I made a journey thru hell and back but with the support and encouragement of the ppl here on the Cymbalta forum I did make it and that my friend is what mattered.

My prayers are with you on this journey. You are a very strong person is what I say.

Hugs from TheEquusWoman :hug:

#20 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 07 May 2016 - 02:36 PM

Dman,

I'm sorry to say this, but your Dr. is obviously an asshat and not informed!  We have all experienced many of these...

We are here to help you!

Dman,

We are here to help you!

TryinginFL

You my darlin' just made me giggle outloud! "Your doctor is an asshat".... I admit I've never heard that term before but it is just so suitable!

Have a great day!

TheEquusWoman :hug:

#21 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 07 May 2016 - 02:41 PM

Equus Woman,

I have to give Five Notions credit for that term!!

#22 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 07 May 2016 - 02:47 PM

Equus Woman,

I have to give Five Notions credit for that term!!

Oh my bad...oops!

Sorry 'bout that but I LOVE it....asshat hahahahaha

That's so funny and the term "fits" like a glove doesn't it tryinFL?

How you doin' darlin'? I'm recovering from hip replacement surgery and it's a very slow go but a go just the same!

Hugs from TheEquusWoman :hug:

#23 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 07 May 2016 - 02:59 PM

EW,

Can't believe I have  been off the poison for 2 yrs and 4 months!  It has left me with a few things such as poor short term memory, lack of concentration and motivation, as well as lack of smell of certain things.  Am trying to get used to it, but I must.

I'm sorry to hear of your hip replacement and hope that you will heal soon so that you can get back on Hershey! :)

Will you be watching the Kentucky Derby today?  I have a bit of a dilemma as the Cubs are on at the same time so I see some recording taking place!!

Please take care and stay in touch ! *happy to hear that you like the term "asshat" :lol:

Love,

Liz :hug:

#24 Dman2900

Dman2900

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 12:30 PM

Thank you for all the support....

it has been 1 week that I have been off of the meds. This weekend was very difficult, I think I pushed my body to far. I had to stay home from work yesterday and did not get out of bed until 2:30pm.

I had to go into work today, no more down time for me. I did come in and my boss asked how I was doing and told me that he does not want me here if I do not feel good and to go home if I need to. My body is numb all over, the ringing in my ears is very loud, taking everything I have to concentrate. Feels like I am drunk with none of the fun stuff to go along with it.

I am just going to have to push thru and take is as it comes. My wife does not work and is trying to get disability so I am the only one bringing in the household income......as a friend has said about different situations...."Suck it up buttercup!".....or the infamous words of Red..."Get busy livin, or get busy dyin...."

#25 Dman2900

Dman2900

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 02:33 PM

A new day and lots more fun....

I am not feeling as bad as I have been the last couple of days.

The numbness/drunk feeling is mostly in my head and face. My headaches have reached an all new level, I can feel my pulse in my scalp.

My joints in my hands and wrist are starting to become stiff and hurt, I need to rub them constantly. The pins and needles in my hands is still there but not as bad, may have to do with me constantly rubbing them.

My neck is really stiff and is contributing to my headaches. It seams that my vision is a little more out of focus than normal, I do use cheater glasses so who knows on that one.

I did start to get a little depressed yesterday. For no reason a song came on the radio and while sitting at my desk I felt a really strong emotional reaction and had to stop working to keep myself under control......almost resulted in a panic attack.....then after that, about a half hour later everything seemed like it was running in slow motion....I know it was not but my body felt really slow in everything it did and everything I had to comprehend took a few extra seconds to register with me. I did get a funny look or town from fellow co-workers on that one. They could tell I was off but had no idea why or what has been going on.

Just trying to keep on keeping on....I do not want to go back on the meds and am not sure I want to try anything else if this is the mess I am going to get myself into with others......

"Get busy livin or get busy dyin...." (I bet you read that in Morgan Freemen's voice!)

#26 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 12 May 2016 - 11:58 AM

Dman, this is wonderful how you are truly listening to your body.  Just keep on keeping on and keep us posted.  

#27 Dman2900

Dman2900

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 12:37 PM

Thank you Carleeta!

Today is not bad. The headaches have not started yet. The numbness/drunk feeling is at a minimum. The only thing really going on today so far is the stiffness in my hands and neck, the tingling in my hands. So for today it is looking up.......

Bring on tomorrow!

#28 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 12 May 2016 - 02:07 PM

Hang in there Dman.

#29 Dman2900

Dman2900

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 03:33 PM

Well that didn't take long.....the headache is back stronger than ever...almost like a tension headache / migraine. Starts at the base of the skull and works up the back of my head along the ear and too my eye. This really hurts and is making the ringing in my ears worse....cant even see straight out of my right eye.

starting to feel nauseous from it.

need to hang in there for another hour and a half before the one hour drive home from work.

This is starting to make everything slow down. I am kind of concerned about my reaction time on the drive home.  I need to drive half way in a very congested area. It is also making me sleepy......

#30 Dman2900

Dman2900

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 09:14 AM

Ok, most of my symptoms are under control for now except for three...

1. I am tired all of the time

2. numb hands w/ stiffness in the joint of hand and feet.

3. Headaches w/ ringing in the ears.

I think I can handle the headaches with over the counter pin meds and have a script for sleeping aids that I need to check on. the one I do not know what to do about is the numbness in the hands and the stiff joints. Any suggestions?

I also noticed something that has happened since being off the meds....I have gained more weight. I do not know if it is due to the meds or what, but I think I gained another 15 lbs in the last month. I need to start walking on the treadmill before work to see if I can take some of the weight off.

"Get busy livin or get busy dyin!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users