7 replies to this topic

#1 Jesalyn

Jesalyn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 08:37 PM

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and have a question about dizziness and withdrawal.  I have had a few changes to my medications recently and I am not sure if the intense vertigo I am having is from the changes or from something else (like an inner ear problem).  

I started anti-depressants when I was young, at age 15, for depression and have been mostly on them ever since; I am now 36 years old. I started 30mg of Cymbalta in 2009. I have mainly kept on taking antidepressants because I am afraid of the withdrawal and because I was convinced I needed them. My health insurance deductible went up this year and Cymbalta became too expensive for me, ($190 for a 30 day supply!) and so I asked my family doctor if I could switch to something cheaper.  She prescribed Elavil and told me to take 30mg of Cymbalta in the morning and 25mg of Elavil at night for one week, then cut the Cymbalta the following week and take 25mg of Elavil morning and night.  In the week with both meds I was very tired.  In week 1 without Cymbalta, I felt a little nauseous and began taking 1,500mg of fish oil for the brain zaps (which helped a lot!).  The Elavil would give me different symptoms each time: increased heart rate, insomnia, drugged-up feeling.  I did not increase the Elavil to 50mg per doctor’s orders and tried 12.5 in the morning and 12.5 at night. I was still feeling pretty crummy and told my doctor that I wanted to try to get completely off of everything.  She told me not to increase the Elavil and we came up with a plan to ween off.  During the third week without Cymbalta (last week), the dizziness hit and I had to leave work.  My doctor prescribed me 20mg of Lexapro thinking the Elavil wasn’t agreeing with me, but I was nervous about taking the full dose, and stuck with 10mg a day, and quit the Elavil. On Sunday, the dizziness was unbearable and my bf took me to the ER where they gave me Meclizine and said I had Vertigo for reasons unknown.  They suggested that I see an ENT and said it probably was not my medication changes; they never heard of dizziness from Cymbalta withdraw.  Yesterday (Wednesday) the vertigo was gone and I was feeling a lot better.  Today, I woke up and its back; I can barely walk, the meclizine is not working. Tomorrow, I have an appointment with an ENT, just in case it’s an ear thing. 

I am generally healthy, rarely get sick, and in good shape.  I am frustrated because I am missing work, and school, plus I have two children to take care of; being this sick is scary and it sucks.  My boyfriend has been a tremendous help.   

Is this level of vertigo common with Cymbalta withdrawal or could it be something else?  If it is the withdrawal, what do you recommend I do? Why does the vertigo come and go? I can’t afford to buy more to do the bead method. I am still taking 10mg of Lexapro a day.  Any suggestions?  Anyone else go through a similar experience?

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 12 February 2016 - 09:09 AM

Hi Jesalyn

Your dr has you on what is called a cross-taper. Slowly coming off one med while increasing the dose of the new med. It is the appropriate way to change over but one still has some of the withdrawal effects of the first med. Unluckily vertigo is one of the common ones. It should slowly subside over the next 3 or 4 weeks.

#3 Jesalyn

Jesalyn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 11:55 AM

Thank you for your reply Fishinghat.  I have cross-tapered before with Lexapro to Celexa, then Celexa to Cymbalta, and have never had a reaction like this.  Is there anything I can do to ease this so that I am able to go to work soon? Would increasing the Lexapro to 20mg help?  Or even *shudder* going back on Cymbalta?  I don't have even 1 week of work that I can miss without consequences.

I really want to be off of everything because I don't know what I'm like without these meds; I probably didn't need them in the first place.  

#4 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 12 February 2016 - 02:31 PM

Are you on the Lexapro at the same time with the Elavil? You surely don't want to do that do to the risk of serotonin syndrome.

Drug therapy usually centers around prochlorperazine (brand named Compro or Procomp in the US) or some the antihistamines sold as motion sickness pills (cyclizine, brand named Marezine; or promethazine, brand named Phenergan, Remsed or, as a suppository, Promethegan). Most drs only treat vertigo if it is severe because the body normally compensates with time and that they prefer to treat the cause (ear infections, etc.). In the case of withdrawal the exact cause is unknown.

Something you might try is searching this forum for 'vertigo' and see what others have done. I will do some further research today and see what I can come up with. You might also see what your pharmacist recommends.

#5 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 12 February 2016 - 03:09 PM

I couldn't find anything in the medical journals. They all mention it as a part of the withdrawal symptoms but no specific treatments were mentioned other than one article which mentioned benzos (very addictive with a bad withdrawal as well). No a real solution. Sorry.

#6 Jesalyn

Jesalyn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 12:49 AM

Thanks again. I stopped the Elavil when I began the Lexapro and noticed a definite mood change (less anxiety).  The ENT on Friday wasn't sure if it was an ear problem or if it was related to the med changes.  I'm going back tomorrow for a more thorough exam.  I felt good this weekend and now I'm feeling dizzy again. I wish I knew why it was coming and going.  This will be 4 weeks off the Cymbalta now.   

#7 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 15 February 2016 - 08:45 AM

The on again off again feelings were all part of the Cymbalta withdrawal for most of us as was the vertigo, As the Lexapro builds up in your body that should subside quickly.

#8 Jesalyn

Jesalyn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 06:29 PM

I actually got diagnosed with inner ear disease by the ENT!  He didn't say which one - I'm guessing BPPV because they are sending me to a Physical Therapist for treatment and mailed me a list of exercises to work on in the meantime.  The timing is odd though and I can't help but wonder if the medicine changes triggered this.  I am feeling a lot better this week, only slightly dizzy, and was able to work and attend school.  Next week, I want to start weening down the Lexapro slowly but only if I'm feeling the same or better.  Thank you for your input, Fishinghat.n  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users