• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 AKAnole

AKAnole

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 06:23 PM

I've been off of Cymbalta since late August. I was originally put on it for fibromyalgia back in 2009.  I've been managing my symptoms

(anxiety and morning depression) with 5HTP on and off since last Fall.  Recently I started therapy and I was recommended for a psych eval since one of my main issues was AD withdrawal.  Long story short, the doctor wants me to try 10mg of Lexapro. I'm unsure about putting another AD into my system. I'm also scared of withdrawals in case it doesn't work and I have to stop it.  The cymbalta withdrawals have really scarred me for life! Anyway, just wondering if anyone has tried Lexapro? Also how long did some of you go through withdrawals before trying another AD? Thanks

#2 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 03 April 2016 - 06:46 PM

Hello again Aka,

To your last question, seven months was my time line.

Lexapro did nothing for me, that was before cymbalta. I hear it is a good ad.

But I would go with one that has a long half life like Prozac or Zoloft, easier to withdraw from when the time comes. The shorter the half life, the tougher the withdrawal.

Life is tough, right? Trial and error!

#3 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 04 April 2016 - 08:21 AM

I was on Lexapro for a while and it worked well for me. It, like most ssri/snri,  have a significant withdrawal but like Gail said, I think Prozac or Zoloft. They are a little easier to come off of and you probably won't need a full dose anyway.

#4 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada
  • why_joining:
    I need help and I know I will feel better if I can offer help to others

Posted 05 April 2016 - 03:54 PM

A low dose of Zoloft 10mg worked really well at taking care of my long term side effects of withdrawing for me but do not take the 5-HTP at the same time.

#5 AKAnole

AKAnole

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 04:02 PM

Thank you all.

Gail what medicine did youend up taking? 

Fishinghat, why did you stop Lexapro?

Lady2882Nancy are you still taking the Zoloft or did you eventually withdrawal from that too?

#6 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 05 April 2016 - 04:30 PM

AKA

Yes I stopped it. Both Lexapro and Celexa have been linked to severe cardiac arrhythmias in those over 60 and Celexa even has a black box warning from the FDA. As I am over 60 (I'll say) and have had cardiac arrhythmias since childhood we changed from Lezapro to Zoloft.

#7 Ramona80

Ramona80

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 02:47 PM

I am taking Lexapro now, a low dose. I started on 5mg and went up to 7.5mg. It has helped my depression.

I have continued to be anxious though, because of tinnitus. Unsure at the moment as to whether the tinnitus is due to Cymbalta withdrawals or not.

But - for me, Lexapro has definitely helped the depression. The pharmacist said he likes Lexapro because it generally works well with very few, if any, side effects.

I know everybody's different, but I've gone off other antidepressants before (Celexa and Zoloft) and never had withdrawals. Then Cymbalta happened, and that was just a nightmare. My psychiatrist said I am one of the people who can't take the SNRI's; the norepinephrine aspect of the drug just doesn't do good things for me, and gives me a bad withdrawal. I, too, was reluctant to take another antidepressant, but I was in such bad shape I agreed to try the Lexapro. I went on it about a month after stopping Cymbalta.

You could always try a lower dose than 10mg if you have concerns. It comes in 5mg tablets.

#8 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 08 April 2016 - 08:02 AM

Thank you all.

Gail what medicine did youend up taking? 

Fishinghat, why did you stop Lexapro?

Lady2882Nancy are you still taking the Zoloft or did you eventually withdrawal from that too?

Aka, I am at my fourth try here with Wellbutrin plus 10 mg Prozac. Tried seroquel, Zoloft, Prozac, and now the W and P combo. We will see!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users