• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Traderdell

Traderdell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 04:34 PM

First post so a little introduction. I'm a 64 year old male with Myasthina Gravis who has been on 60 mg of cymbalta for around five years.

My PC physician as well as my wife and I think I should get off altogether as the side effects are untenable. Started Sunday taking 50 mg, so far so good. When withdrawal rears its ugly head how soon does it generally start after a drop in dosage?

Thanks in advance,
Gregg

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 17 May 2016 - 06:47 PM

Welcome Gregg

The withdrawal startup period really varies. I would say typically 3 to 7 days to show its head and then it keeps getting worse.

I think most on here would say that your rate of decrease would be way too fast. Most of us did bead counting. That is opening the tablet, removing 2 or 3 beads more each day. The capsules usually contain in the neighborhood of 300 beads. I would recommend withdrawal over a 3 to 4 month period at least. Any time the withdrawal gets too uncomfortable just go back up on your dosage by a few beads and stay there until things settle down. Once you feel stronger you can start dropping again.

#3 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada
  • why_joining:
    I need help and I know I will feel better if I can offer help to others

Posted 17 May 2016 - 07:25 PM

Hi Gregg

I would have to say that I agree with fishinghat 100%. Those kind of drops in dosage are way too much. You might get away with it to start with but as you go along the percentage of the drop becomes too much and you can end up in a mess. Slow and steady is the rule with this med. Slowly reduce and make sure you feel steady.

Take care of you

Nancy

#4 Traderdell

Traderdell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 07:36 PM

I agree it is too much at once but didn't realize until I was starting. Initially the PC wanted me to go from 60 to 30 and mentioned that there would be some withdrawal symptoms and to just ride them out. My wife called his office the next day and got him to order som 20mg caps to go along with the 30 he originally prescribed.

If the 10mg drop doesn't kill me (which is a concern) I'll start bead counting from there on out.

#5 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 20 May 2016 - 10:10 AM

Traderdell

Welcome.  Glad to hear your wife was able to get your PC to get you 20mg added to your 30mg.  It would be wonderful if you did start the bead counting if your are not successful with the 10mg drop. Please keep us posted. 

#6 Traderdell

Traderdell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 05:04 PM

Traderdell

Welcome.  Glad to hear your wife was able to get your PC to get you 20mg added to your 30mg.  It would be wonderful if you did start the bead counting if your are not successful with the 10mg drop. Please keep us posted.

To bring everyone up to speed: today is day six at 50mg with no ill effects, hopefully the train won't come off the track. I'd like to stay at this dose through the end of the month then start counting or weighing.

#7 Traderdell

Traderdell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 08:57 PM

A post to close out my cymbalta ordeal.

Here is the timeline with dosages.

May 15, 2016-went from 60mg to 50mg.
June 1, 2016-50mg to 40mg.
June 15, 2016-40mg to 30mg.
July 1, 2016-30mg to 20mg.
July 17, 2016-stopped completely.

As of today I've experienced no withdrawal symptoms, none.
Color me lucky I guess!

The best to all of you,
Gregg

#8 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 09 August 2016 - 06:14 AM

Gregg,

You are blessed! Thank you for the update.

#9 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 09 August 2016 - 08:10 AM

We appreciate your update Gregg. God bless and enjoy your life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users