6 replies to this topic

#1 Turbolag

Turbolag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 10:26 AM

Hey everyone. Just wanted to ask a couple questions.

1. Can coming off cymbalta effect your breathing at all? I've noticed the past month or so that I have a hard time getting a deep breath sometimes. When this happens, it definitely increases anxiety levels for me. One time this happened and I used my rescue inhaler and it got better. Also, sometimes I feel like my heart flutters a little bit. I also have asthma, and it's getting close to summer. But I'm not sure which one is causing this. I'm leaning towards asthma, but just wanted to check.

2. Are there any foods you should avoid while coming off the meds? Sometimes I'll eat something and about 10 minutes later I'll feel the withdrawal symptoms start: chills, fever feeling, increased anxiety, doom feeling. Kind of unsure here.

Thanks.

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 21 May 2016 - 12:38 PM

1. With Cymbalta effecting the neurotransmitters it makes sense it can affect respiration. I will check and see if there is any research on that.

2. In general those suffering from anxiety should avoid any stimulants. This includes sugar, salt, excessive carbs, caffeine, MSG, etc.

#3 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 21 May 2016 - 12:52 PM

I did find this....

http://www.druglib.c...gs_precautions/

"Hyponatremia
Hyponatremia may occur as a result of treatment with SSRIs and SNRIs, including Cymbalta. In many cases, this hyponatremia appears to be the result of the syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion (SIADH). Cases with serum sodium lower than 110 mmol/L have been reported and appeared to be reversible when Cymbalta was discontinued. Elderly patients may be at greater risk of developing hyponatremia with SSRIs and SNRIs. Also, patients taking diuretics or who are otherwise volume depleted may be at greater risk. Discontinuation of Cymbalta should be considered in patients with symptomatic hyponatremia and appropriate medical intervention should be instituted. [see Use in Specific Populations ()] 8.5
Signs and symptoms of hyponatremia include headache, difficulty concentrating, memory impairment, confusion, weakness, and unsteadiness, which may lead to falls. More severe and/or acute cases have been associated with hallucination, syncope, seizure, coma, respiratory arrest, and death.
— Neonates exposed to SSRIs or serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs), late in the third trimester have developed complications requiring prolonged hospitalization, respiratory support, and tube feeding. Such complications can arise immediately upon delivery. Reported clinical findings have included respiratory distress, cyanosis, apnea, seizures, temperature instability, feeding difficulty, vomiting, hypoglycemia, hypotonia, hypertonia, hyperreflexia, tremor, jitteriness, irritability, and constant crying. These features are consistent with either a direct toxic effect of SSRIs and SNRIs or, possibly, a drug discontinuation syndrome. It should be noted that, in some cases, the clinical picture is consistent with serotonin syndrome. Nonteratogenic Effects [see Warnings and Precautions ()] 5.4 "

I also found a number of threads on this site where people mention that the withdrawal caused breathing difficulties.

#4 Turbolag

Turbolag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 03:52 PM

Thanks fishinghat for the information. 

I'm not gonna lie, this feeling is very unsettling. I was training earlier today and there were a couple of times where I couldn't catch my breath. It seems to be happening a little more frequent now. Even while I'm typing this right now, my chest area feels like I can't get a deep breath. 

Any idea how long this will last or what I can do to treat it? Am I going to end up in the minor care because of this? Not being able to breath is really anxiety provoking. 

Not sure what to do here. 

I did take a medication my Dr and I wanted to try a couple years ago and when I was on it I had a hard time breathing just like what's going on now. But this time, I'm not on any medicine so there's nothing for me to stop. 

All I can think of is taking a couple of inhales from my rescue inhaler. 

Thanks. 

#5 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 21 May 2016 - 05:27 PM

During panic attacks the sufferer often has trouble catching his breath. On top of that, during periods of extreme anxiety it is common to feel tightness in your chest ;like there is a big rubber band around your chest. If I remember right this is do to high levels of adrenaline effecting the beta-adrenergic receptors in the involuntary muscles around the chest and heart. It is common to have heartpounding, racing pulse and/or skip beats (pvcs) in conjunction with the chest/breathing problems.

Does your rescue inhaler bring you any relief?

#6 Turbolag

Turbolag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 06:48 PM

During panic attacks the sufferer often has trouble catching his breath. On top of that, during periods of extreme anxiety it is common to feel tightness in your chest ;like there is a big rubber band around your chest. If I remember right this is do to high levels of adrenaline effecting the beta-adrenergic receptors in the involuntary muscles around the chest and heart. It is common to have heartpounding, racing pulse and/or skip beats (pvcs) in conjunction with the chest/breathing problems.

Does your rescue inhaler bring you any relief?

Thanks for the reply. I kinda thought that anxiety in general could make it difficult to breath.

After I posted my reply I took two deep inhales of my rescue inhaler. After about 20 minutes, I could feel my airway open up and I could take a full deep breath. Its been about 3 hours since then and my breathing is still good. Maybe a little tighter than it was. So I guess I'll just have to keep my rescue inhaler close by. I have been because of this issue for the past month. I just wonder how long this will last. It definitely affects my performance training wise. 

#7 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 22 May 2016 - 10:50 AM

Turbolag

During the anxiety phase of anxiety attacks individuals experience shallow breathing and therefore resulting in feeling as though you are not going to catch your breath.  You chest will become tight and it feels difficult to take the deep breath.  Whatever you do, just go with it.  The worse that can happen is a person can pass out and this is extremely rare.  I have suffered from sever panic attacks for over thirty years.  Whenever this starts to happen to me, I just do not panic and let my heart rate continue to race and go with the shallow breathing (as if I can't catch my breath) and eventually my heart race returns to normal...  Just go with it and let it pass....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users