Itstime

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Been on Cymbalta for ~12 years. It's time for that to change

Posted 18 July 2016 - 10:03 AM

Hi - I am struggling with Cymbalta withdrawal. I've been on C for about 12 years. I also take 300 mg of Wellbutrin and 1mg of Xanax for GAD. I take both the C&W in the AM and the Xanax before I go to sleep. About 4 years ago I actually withdrew from the Cymalta and the Xanax and was working on the W when I lost the battle to anxiety from the relocation I was doing. So I have confidence I can do this, but I'm struggling mightily. I've been following the form during the last month and have reduced my "bead count" by 15%. I feel good that I've made it this far. My Dr. had told me before I started the bead count method to do 60 one day and 30 the next and so on. I made it about a week with this and gave up. That's when I found this forum.

I feel my Dr. is of no help with this and I'm considering changing to one who is progressive and will work with me who understands and empathizes with this agony and goal. I'm experiencing wicked dreams so much so that I'm not sleeping well. I need 8 hrs of sleep and I'm only getting 6 which is fatiguing me. I'm also feeling some tension in my body. I have been exercising regularly but it's a struggle when I'm feeling "off" as I do. I'm wondering if any one has been where I'm at, feeling this way and what they did. Also do you think I should find a Dr. who can better support me.... Do they exist? Thanks for your help and that this forum exists

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 18 July 2016 - 10:20 AM

First of all welcome Itstime.

I think many of us were in that situation. You are off to a good start. There are reasonable drs but it may take patience to find one. For me...Week I would find a new one.

#3 Itstime

Itstime

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 20 July 2016 - 12:24 PM

Hi - can you tell me if the very very small specs / beads ( they're about 1/20th the size of the average ones) should be counted. They could be broken pieces from a larger bead. Also they are perfectly round ... Thanks any and all

#4 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 20 July 2016 - 12:53 PM

When they go to make the little balls of medicine they are not uniform in shape (and yes they will contain medicine). Most good companies will screen these out to produce a more uniform product. Many cheap generic companies cut corners and these ;ittle beads are considered part of the dose. It would be hard to adjust for these as they would contain a much smaller amount of medicine. Considering the problems you are having with the variation in size and number of beads may be you should go by weight instead.

Talk about quality control problems!!  Urrggg

#5 Itstime

Itstime

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 30 July 2016 - 12:43 AM

I'm feeling very sluggish. I'm down 30% in 6 weeks, but I sense it's getting more difficult. One of the most prominent symptoms is the difficulty becoming alert until around 1-2PM after awakening around 9am. I'm having vivid nightmares but they seem to come and go depending on the reductions in the medications. Generally the sleep has been poor quality over the last 4 weeks.

From what I've read and understand Adderall in a small dose can reduce this disgusting feeling I'm having. Is this a common support tool to use in the process and can I expect an unempathtic Dr. giving me a difficult time since I believe it would be an off label use of the drug. I figure I have 75-80 more days of this per my schedule and I would anticipate using the adderrall for that length of time

Any feedback is once again appreciated.
Thank you

#6 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 30 July 2016 - 07:23 AM

Hello Itstime,

Usually at this point, a small dose of Prozac or Zoloft can be used to help with your symptoms. But again, it takes time for it to feel the effect.

LadyNancy has used this method with success and I hope she comes by.

I have no notions about aderall, that would be Fishinghat's domain, he will come by.

Others will chime in soon. Patience is the name of the game.

#7 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 30 July 2016 - 08:20 AM

Hi ItsTime

Gails recommendation on the Prozac or Zoloft is a better one than Aderall. All three have withdrawal effects but I have been told Aderall's withdrawal is pretty tough.  Things get tougher the further down you go so be prepared to slow down your taper if need be.

#8 Itstime

Itstime

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 30 July 2016 - 10:10 AM

I'm told by my Dr. that the Wellbutrin I'm taking should be offsetting some of the sedating effect of the Cymbalta I'm wondering if I should hold at the Cymbalta 20mg reduction I just achieved ( I'm reducing 2 beads a day), and start reducing the Wellbutrin so as to reduce the tension I'm feeling as I've read that a side effect of the Wellbutrin is anxiety. I'd stay with the Xanax for now, but ultimately want to come off of that also. In my mind that's the last drug to come off of but I haven't discussed that with the Dr. as yet.

I am also wondering at what point other people typically have worsening Cymb. withdrawal symptoms? I noted on the forum that the final / late reductions are the worst. At 20 mgs I'm guessing I haven't hit the difficult terrain yet.

I'm going to proceed with my two bead a day program. Trying to get to the Dr. but he has no appointments for 5 weeks so I'm waiting for a cancellation. My next appointment is in early Oct. Ugh!

Thanks for everyone's feedback thus far. It's so great to share the experience with others that understand.

#9 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 30 July 2016 - 11:17 AM

Hi again,

About wellbutrin, that side effect of anxiety is not general.
I suffer from anxiety big time and took wellbutrin for a short while and it never made the anxiety worse.
We all react differently. At times, we don't know what does what and that sure is hell not to know! Best of luck!

#10 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 30 July 2016 - 01:24 PM

Gail is right. The FDA says that around 8% experience anxiety as a side effect of Wellbutrin. I would not think reducing the Wellbutrin at this time would be asking for trouble because it has its own withdrawal. 

#11 Itstime

Itstime

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 01 August 2016 - 12:55 PM

Hi Fishinghat,

I'm not sure I understand your comment about reducing the Wellbutrin. Are you suggesting that waiting to reduce until after the Cymbalta withdrawal is generally the way to go ?

Appreciate your feedback !

#12 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:

Posted 01 August 2016 - 01:54 PM

Itstime,

Fishinghat missed a few words when he wrote. I, myself was puzzled.
I understand that he means not to reduce wellbutrin at the moment.
You won't know what does what.

He often jokes and says to do what he thinks and not what he says or write.

He will come by after trimming his trees.

#13 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 01 August 2016 - 03:05 PM

You are right, I was as clear as mud. What I was trying to say was that you don't want to drop dosage on two drugs at the same time. First, they both have withdrawal and one withdrawal at a time is more than enough. Second, like Gail said, if there are unexpected changes you wouldn't know if it was from the Cymbalta drop or the drop in Wellbutrin. I hope that helps. It is clear to me, which means you are probably further confused. lol

#14 Itstime

Itstime

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 05 August 2016 - 07:18 PM

Thanks for your feedback and honesty. It took me a while to respond as when I attempted to do so a few days ago - I was not able to post. Probably something I missed in not reading all of the directions.

I have an update and new question - please

Update
I have made good progress but knowing I (or maybe anyone) don't know what will happen, I am also concerned. My situation is this ... I have surprised myself and in the past 7 weeks I have reduced my 60mg by 46%. So I'm near 30mg now. While I've had some bad days they generally have been tolerable. I'm feeling at time internal tension / anxiety and many days I awaken early but I have managed to go back to sleep. Fortunately I have been able to maintain the amount of sleep I need as a result. I'm feeling (very) cautiously optimistic. With optimism I'm thinking I can reduce another 7 beads more each day and be at "0" quantity remaining in another 30 days.

Question
From what I have read, the withdrawal (in total it would be just under 3 months) seems too fast. Knowing that I have a tendency to go too fast, am I falling into a trap.... i.e. - am I going too quick. Will I feel the negative impact at some point in the future? If I feel the negative consequences while still withdrawing my plan B is to hold at that bead count level until can I cope with the symptoms (as noted in the forum).

Your feedback will as always be very, very much appreciated.

#15 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 August 2016 - 09:15 AM

Watch out for quicksand Itstime. lol  Almost always it gets worse toward the end. Considering that you are having off and on symptoms I would stabilize for about a week where you are at. Give your body a chance to recoup. And then go to dropping 5 beads a day. Overall an extra week or two is a small thing but could help a great amount.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users