• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 StarCityLady

StarCityLady

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 08:37 PM

I started tapering by bead counting this week.  So far so good, just headaches and hyperactivity so far.  I know if I forgot a dose (I'm on 30 mg) I would have horrible dizziness.  Not looking forward to that!  

Has anyone used essential oils during their withdrawal?  I'm getting some on Friday to hopefully help keep my symptoms from getting too bad and I was wondering if it is worth the money to try.  I'm tapering fairly quickly (bad, I know) but I need to be off because my husband and I are also going through fertility treatments and I don't want to be on it and pregnant.  I can't imagine pregnancy hormones mixed in with this!!!  

I apologize in advance if I am rambling...my brain is a little rambly right now.   

Thank you!!!!

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 21 July 2016 - 08:01 AM

Welcome SCL

I wish you the best of luck. Be sure to stay hydrated, some omega 3 and vitamin C may help some. Try to stay away from stressful situations as much as possible. Lastly, consider going back on 30 mg and bead counting down. I know it is slower but it may be a good idea.

#3 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 21 July 2016 - 09:34 AM

StarCity,

Welcome.  Truly would't waste your money on any essential oils.  It most likely will not have an effect on your withdrawal symptoms as you might think they would.  If you would like something a bit relaxing (and I still feel they might not give you the calmness you are looking for) is to use exactly what you have in your own home.  Put some nutmeg, and cinnamon in a small kettle and let this simmer on the stove.   You will smell the aroma through out the home and you will start to feel a bit relaxed, although, like I mentioned prior, it still will not give you the effect you are thinking  it will.  If, I am wrong and the nutmeg, and cinnamon simmer do help you then by all means you will know whether to invest in the oils.  

Please consider Fishinghat's advice on the vitamin C, Omega 3 and plenty plenty plenty of H2O, along with beadcounting....keep us posted

#4 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 21 July 2016 - 01:29 PM

SCL, are you referring to producing an odor with the essential oils or consuming them?

#5 StarCityLady

StarCityLady

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 04:12 PM

I will be using the oils topically, mostly for aroma.  I am bead counting, just counting a few more than advised.  I teach school and our kiddos come back August 9, and I need to be functional and I was hoping the oils would help.  I've read so many stories about withdrawal that I'm actually quite worried.  I came off Paxil cold turkey due to insurance changes almost 20 years ago, and really no physical symptoms with that (just lived in the deepest, darkest hole I ever had in my life for about 2 weeks!).  I weaned off of Zoloft with no problems.  But I know on the few occasions I accidentally forgot to take my cymbalta, I would be dizzy, confused, and very irritable.  So I am extremely scared of these symptoms (or others) appearing.  And I'm trying to think of ways to head them off.  I am already taking prenatal vitamins, and those have Omega 3 and Vitamin C in them.  !

Thank you for your support and advice!  I've been lurking this forum for a while before I decided to officially take the "off cymbalta" plunge

#6 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 21 July 2016 - 05:26 PM

StarCity,

As the withdrawal symptoms come, be patient with them is you can.  Just knowing they might be coming, as others have posted, you shouldn't fear them.  I still feel you are coming off cymbalta too fast and need to come off slower in your weening process.  Stay in very calm environments as much as you can.  Don't be hard on yourself.  Treat yourself well.  Just remember to listen to your body for you know your body best.  Keep us posted. If you feel to post your progress daily, please due.  There is always someone here who will help you through your progress... 

#7 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 21 July 2016 - 07:39 PM

A caution on the essential oils. Being oils they are absorbed readily through the skin into the blood stream where (along with other oils and fats) and can contribute to non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. I know they are real popular right now but the FDA is considering a warning on topical use. Lemon oil is the only one tested to not contribute to this condition. These oils combine with cholesterol and triglycerides in fat/oil saturation of the liver.

You might consider just putting them on your collar or label for the aroma.

#8 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 21 July 2016 - 07:53 PM

A caution on the essential oils. Being oils they are absorbed readily through the skin into the blood stream where (along with other oils and fats) and can contribute to non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. I know they are real popular right now but the FDA is considering a warning on topical use. Lemon oil is the only one tested to not contribute to this condition. These oils combine with cholesterol and triglycerides in fat/oil saturation of the liver.

You might consider just putting them on your collar or label for the aroma.

Fishinghat, it funny you mentioned the fatty liver.....Today on Dr. Oz he spoke about the fatty liver and how it occurs and what to do to possibly reverse the bad effects.....hmmmm Dr. Oz and now I'll call your Dr. Fishinghat.   you are so smart....

#9 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 22 July 2016 - 08:21 AM

Thanks Carleeta. Actually not smart, I just read a lot and steal everyone elses good info!!  lol

#10 StarCityLady

StarCityLady

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 03:39 PM

It's funny you mentioned NAFLD, my best friend was just diagnosed with that!  I did get some oils to try, very sparingly.  I'm not going to oil up everything!  :)

#11 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 25 July 2016 - 05:18 PM

Hi Star !

during the worst of my CT withdrawal, I found the scent of lavender to be very soothing, helpful to me for getting calmed down and drifting off to sleep ... I ordered some lavender (flowers? seeds?) from Provence, and put it into a small pillow ... 

what kinds of oils / scents are you using / considering?

#12 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 25 July 2016 - 06:48 PM

Star

I'm curious as to what essential oils you bought myself....ha ha ha ha

Lavender is wonderful for relaxing and calming

Ylang-ylang is still one of my favorites....it's wonderful for lifting your mood...and helps with positivity.... 

Rosemary oil rubbed on your temples makes you think clearer

#13 StarCityLady

StarCityLady

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 02:07 PM

For some odd reason, this site only works on my computer, and won't let me reply from my phone.  Since I am not on my home computer daily, it takes me forever to respond!

I have a calming blend of doTerra Serenity, frankinsence, and something else (someone made it for me).  I also have a sleep blend of Serenity, lavender, sandalwood, and bergamot.  The calming blend even helped me with a headache without meds!  It could all be in my head, but I don't care.  

I'm now cutting my dose in half; I'm removing enough beads to go from 30 mg to 15 mg.  And I'm doing ok.  In the evening I tend to get a little jittery with dizzy spells and my dreams are so VIVID!!!!  But otherwise I can manage everything.

I find out next Friday if the clomid helped us with a pregnancy and I need to be off this stuff!

#14 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 28 July 2016 - 05:01 PM

So far so good. Remember that last few drops are the worse. You might go to 7.5 mg next and then 4% then 0% if you can be that patient and not be over run with symptoms. By the way, Cymbalta is fat soluble and can be retained in fat tissue for up to 6 months.

#15 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 28 July 2016 - 07:24 PM

Star,

thank you for listing the essential oils you are using.  The sound very relaxing.  Whatever works for you is the 'best choice'.  Yes, please as Fishinghat has mentioned, please go much slower as you are getting to the end.  

Please keep us informed...

#16 StarCityLady

StarCityLady

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 11:09 AM

I wasn't going to go from 15 to nothing.  I was going to taper to 7.5 next.  Although I'll be out of pills after a few days on 7.5, I still have all my beads in a baggie and can buy pill caps to continue.  I'm still a little scared that I'm going to crash into withdrawal symptom land here soon......

Thank you all for your support!  Few understand the withdrawal process...

#17 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 29 July 2016 - 05:42 PM

Star!

I would agree with you buying those empty capsules and using you reserved beads. You should go very very slow as you are coming to the end of you taper. This might help you to handle the withdrawal symptoms much better.

Please keep us informed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users