• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Yangzom

Yangzom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 05:24 PM

So...I've been taking Cymbalta for about 7 years.  I decided to wean myself off because I'd been feeling so well for a while.  I meditate and find this helps me manage whatever my mind might be trying to do!  Reading the threads on this forum has been an eyeopener - bead counting?!  Wow!  I never even heard of that!  

I was on 60mg daily and over a couple of months dropped it to alternate days, then every three days etc until I stopped altogether.  That was about 2 months ago.  And I was fine.  To begin with.  I am now really struggling - aches and pains, extreme tiredness, brain dead, tinnitus, irritable, mood swings and utterly detached.  I get to about midday and it feels like I hit a wall.  At the same time I was taking a new treatment for endometriosis (GnRH analogue) and really thought that was the culprit, so much so that my GP has stopped this altogether.  

Glad to have found this forum as finding loads of info and reassurance, but really not sure the best thing to do.  Maybe 'this' is all to do with the endo treatment and the associated pseudo-menopausal symptoms, but maybe it IS withdrawal - certainly many of the symptoms described in these threads sound very familiar.  I am about to start a new job and I can't imagine how on earth I am going to be able to function (university lecturer post so my current cognitive impaired state is a bit of a problem!).  

Not sure if I should go back on 60, or 30, or just knuckle down and ride it... :unsure:

Any advice from any of you that have been through this too would be so gratefully received...

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 26 July 2016 - 05:55 PM

Welcome Yang

I think it is probably the withdrawal symptoms. At this point I would not advise going back up and starting over. I read a research paper lately where a dr was using a single small doses of Cymbalta (3 to 5 mg) when ever the symptoms just got intolerable. This would give the patient a little break and when the symptoms got too bad again, then another small dose. He found that with time it was farther and farther between these extra doses until it wasn't needed at all. You might give that some thought. 

#3 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 26 July 2016 - 08:33 PM

Yang, Wecome!

I also agree it  might not be a good idea to go back up and start over.  This new research paper Fishinghat is ready sounds promising, and it is truly something to think about..

#4 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:39 AM

Fisherman,

I remember this, the case of Miss B. Very interesting.
The dosage was 30mg then 15 mg when things got to tough.
So happy to see that I still have memory after all those trials!

#5 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 27 July 2016 - 11:08 AM

Hi Yang, welcome ! :) (love your avatar, that's me while I was on the crapalta!)

I agree about it likely being too late to go back on the stuff and then bead count down ... I was about 3-4 weeks cold turkey before I found this forum ... FH and others explained to me that it probably wouldn't work for me, so I just toughed it out  ... 

I find this new approach intriguing, and I would have tried it back then for sure ...

Please stay here with us, regardless of whether you try this, or decide to just "ride it out," we'll do everything we can to help you ...

One thing for sure, you're going to get through this, and you'll be glad you got off the cymbalta !

#6 Yangzom

Yangzom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 11:51 AM

Thanks for your responses.  There are times, like last night, where it all feels so awful that I just think the easy thing would be to go back on and at least ease the shitty feeling I have right now.  Today feels a bit better, not so tired (yet).  Tinnitus is pretty much constant although it doesn't bother me that much.  The exhaustion and brain-deadness really does though.  I am seeing GP in the morning and will ask for some low dose to see if this helps.  I think the lowest available dose is 20mg though?  So would I split the capsule to get a 3 or 5 mg dose???

Thanks for all your support - I was actually recommended cybalata by a psychiatrist colleague!  I complained that the AD I was on (can't remember which) was making me fat and he suggested duloxetine instead.  I really did fine on it and it is only now I am discovering that I made a bad decision!  Oh, and I didn't lose any weight when I switched either!! 

#7 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 27 July 2016 - 12:04 PM

Yes Yang. Just open the 20 mg capsule and remove about 3/4 or a little more and you are set to go.

#8 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 27 July 2016 - 02:10 PM

Hi FH,

I've gotten confused now (not hard to do  :blink: ) ... are you talking about the "Miss B" case report that I posted (last year) and that Gail refers to?

https://www.cymbalta...awl-management/

Cuz that report refers to a different dosing approach ...

Or did you post more recent research and I missed it?

#9 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 27 July 2016 - 03:02 PM

Yup that is the same one FN. I first reported it in "Cymbalta in the News" 14May this year and you reposted it July 17th.  Good article.

#10 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 27 July 2016 - 04:54 PM

oy ... FH (and Yang), please bear (bare?) with me here ... still confused ... doesn't that report say 30, and then 15 mg?

So FH, you're saying, that to get to the 15 mg from her 20 mg capsule, Yang just takes out about 3/4 of the beads, right?

I guess what confuses me is that Yang in her post is saying "So would I split the capsule to get a 3 or 5 mg dose???"

Yang, are you trying to get to a 15 mg dose, or a 3-5 mg dose? Or do you mean you want to remove 3-5 mg from the 20 mg capsule?

I apologize ... lots and lots ! for nitpicking :wacko:  :blink:  :unsure: ... just don't want Yang to end up having more problems than are already happening ... 

#11 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 27 July 2016 - 06:49 PM

You are right that the original dr took the patient from I believe 60 mg to 30 to 15mg. But when terrible withdrawal set in he then gave the patient small doses of Cymbalta whenever things got too bad. This would give some temporary relief, and in a dew days when things got too bad again he would do another small dose. With time those doses became smaller and farther apart. Yang and I were discussing a 3 to 5 mg minidose if things get too bad and how he could prepare such a dose from a 20 mg capsule.

You now what my dad use to say?  "Don't listen to what I say. Listen to what I mean."  lol

#12 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:26 PM

oh, duh ... now I get it ... total brain fart on my part ... thanks, FH   :)  ;)  :P

#13 tmccrady

tmccrady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:31 PM

Need help !!!!!!!          Was on this drug for only three months at a doze of 20mg a day . I also  am diabetic this drug made me eat everything in the house and my sugar went sky high and I was not feeling any better so I quit cold turkey. I know stupid!! I wen threw bad brain zap and dizziness, I am on about week  eight of quitting and the anxiety attacks and crying spells are getting the best of me. I am at my wits end and dont know what to do? I took your advice and take fish oil and vit c which does help some.  I also have alprazolam 1 mg i use only when It is really bad. But this past weekend I wanted to give up and just take it to stop the madness i was feeling. Just dont what to do any help would be very helpful. As to is this normal or do I need to go to dr and get something to help I have never had attacks before. You guys have helped me so much THANKS A MILLION!!!

#14 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 07 March 2017 - 09:44 AM

There is a couple choices. You can try a Benadryl which has an anxiolytic effect but can make you sleepy. You may also talk to your dr about either hydroxyzine and/or clonidine. Both are good against anxiety and have no withdrawal. The hydroxyzine can make you a little sleepy as well. You can also take a few beads of Cymbalta from time to time to help as well but I think in your case I don't advise that.

#15 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:38 PM

Hello Tmc,

You know, withdrawal is a wax and wane process. It is said that around week 12, you begin to see the light. A mix of good and bad days.

You are not far from this point, Fishinghat has suggested a few things. He forgot Time and Patience. Give it time and thank your lucky stars that you were only on 20mg and for a relatively short period.

Don't forget, wax and wane. Anytime, do come by, you are welcomed. Oh, as a good member used to say, tie yourself to the mast. I would say that the worst is over or nearing the end!

#16 tmccrady

tmccrady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:19 PM

Thank you both so much! You have giving me hope that I will do this !!!!  I will keep checking in everyday, just reading this helps me see light at the end of the tunnel!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users