5 replies to this topic

#1 Turbolag

Turbolag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 10:10 AM

I think I want to try a low dose of Zoloft. So this was my plan. I think the lowest dose is 20mg. I was going to 1/4 it and take that. My question is, can I take Zoloft every other day? In the past when I took it, it caused a lot of stomach pain. When I tried it I stopped the cymbalta completely and went to zoloft. I only could stay on it about 4 days before having to stop it.

I have no clue why it caused so much stomach pain. So I thought id try a small dose.

Also, I searched here and I can't find any information on Kratom. Is it safe to take?

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 30 July 2016 - 01:47 PM

Kratom is a tropical plant itself and has an action similar to opiods but is not an opiod. It has been used to treat anxiety. Adverse effects may include palpitations, seizure, myalgia, insomnia, fatigue or chest discomfort. I believe it has a withdrawal as well but am not sure. I will check the medical research and let you know. By the way it is in the coffee family of plants.

#3 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 30 July 2016 - 01:50 PM

Interesting...

From Wiki...
"There are more than 40 compounds in M. speciosa leaves,[5] including many alkaloids such as mitragynine, mitraphylline, 7-hydroxymitragynine and mitragynine pseudoindoxyl.[13][14][15] Other active chemicals in M. speciosa include raubasine (best known from Rauvolfia serpentina) and Pausinystalia johimbe alkaloids such as corynantheidine.[16][17]

Mitragyna speciosa also contains at least one alkaloid (rhynchophylline) that is a calcium channel blocker, and reduces NMDA-induced current.[18][19] The amount of mitragynine within the leaves depends highly on many factors; one major factor is the location of the tree. When trees are grown in Southeast Asia, the levels tend to be higher, but when grown elsewhere (even in greenhouses), the levels tend to be low or non-existent.[4] One analysis of products marketed as kratom leaf found, using liquid chromatography-electrospray ionization mass spectrometry (LC-ESI-MS), mitragynine at levels of 1–6% and 7-hydroxymitragynine at levels of 0.01–0.04%.[20] The chemical structure of mitragynines incorporate the nucleus of the tryptamine, and these may be responsible for the molecules observed in the serotonin and adrenergic systems. In mitragynine, the phenolic methyl ether is considered to be stronger in analgesic paradigms according to some studies. Moreover, the pharmacokinetics of M. speciosa in humans has not been well known.[21]"

#4 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 30 July 2016 - 01:54 PM

The U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration has issued a "Drugs of Abuse Resource Guide", which states "Kratom is not controlled under the Federal Controlled Substances Act; however, there may be some State regulations or prohibitions against the possession and use of kratom. Alabama, for example, outlawed the use and possession of kratom in May 2016, and all stores in Alabama were ordered to immediately remove all kratom products from their shelves.[37] In addition, DEA has listed kratom as a Drug and Chemical of Concern."[38] There is no FDA-approved medical use for kratom in the United States.

On June 9, 2015, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announced an import alert for kratom, issuing guidance that shipments are to be seized without physical examination from several vendors listed due to concerns that there is no evidence that Kratom does not pose an unnecessary risk of illness or injury, further stating that "[C]onsumption of kratom can lead to a number of health impacts, including respiratory depression, nervousness, agitation, aggression, sleeplessness, hallucinations, delusions, tremors, loss of libido, constipation, skin hyperpigmentation, nausea, vomiting, and severe withdrawal signs and symptoms."[39] (Wiki)

I thought I remembered that.

#5 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 30 July 2016 - 01:58 PM

I also found 7 medical research articles dealing with the severe withdrawal from Kratom.

#6 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 30 July 2016 - 04:35 PM

Turbolag,

As for your question about Zoloft, I would tend to say yes to every other day, if it's like Prozac.

When on it, as soon as I reached 100mg, diarrhea started. Not before.

I take a real low dose of Prozac every other day, no problem here. Of course, it has a longer half life than Zoloft. Can't remember Zoloft's half life. Check it out. I would go for Prozac for a every other day ad. No stomach problems with this one. I know nothing about the other product. And, I must add, what is good for one is not necessarily good for the other.

Trial and error! Best of chances for you Turbolag. It will end one way or the other...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users