• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 startingnow

startingnow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 06:42 PM

Until yesterday, I was unaware of issues related to withdrawal from Cymbalta/Duloxetine.  I was on 120mg/day for more than 2 years to treat a deep depression I was in, as well as my GAD and Fibro.  Gained a lot of weight.  Didn't even think related to the introduction of the drug because when I looked it up, it appeared to me, that people lose weight on this drug.  Earlier this year, I decided I wanted to cut back on my dosage and without consulting a DR. (I moved and did not yet have a new physician) I went from 120/day to 60/day.  That was at least 5 months ago.  Since then, I have had symptoms that I did not connect until recently when I decided I was too tired too often and I started to look for answers.  That's when I came across this site, and others, and was horrified to read what I had gotten myself into.  I have seen three Drs including the prescribing Dr. and none told me anything about my dosage level, or withdrawal issues.  

I had planned to go off cold turkey until I read the postings here.  Now, I don't know what to do.  I guess I'll have to do the bead count reduction.  

I am very angry and disappointed at myself, my physicians and the pharma industry.  

But, before I waste time on my anger, I want to put my energy into getting off this as quickly and safely as possible.

Any advice would be welcomed.  

#2 Raven72

Raven72

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • LocationSomewhere In The Stratosphere
  • why_joining:
    Additional support outside my atmosphere.

Posted 25 August 2016 - 10:07 PM

Welcome startingnow,

The first thing we all tell one another is don't be angry at yourself. We have all gotten angry at ourselves for falling victim to this drug. We are all led to believe that would should be ableto trust our doctors.

Me for example I did the wrong thing entirely. I was so desperate for a medical fix for my problems; I didn't listen when my husband told me not to take it. We saw the same doctor & she had tried him on it. He stopped it because he didn't like how it made him feel. He all but begged me not to. I wish I had listened.

It will be a rough ride but you are in the right place for help. Can you tell usca little more about what symptoms you are having? To get a better insight into how your symptoms are treating you.

We are here for you.

Raven

#3 Gran23

Gran23

Advanced Member

• Site Supporter
  • 43 posts
  • why_joining:
    Want off Cymbalta for good

Posted 26 August 2016 - 07:05 AM

Welcome.  You have come to the right place.  Raven is correct in saying don't be angry at yourself.  We've all been there and it does no good.  Be determined.  Bead counting is the way to go, a little at a time but not more than a 10% decrease at any one time is best to keep symptoms at a minimum.  Different brands of generics have different amounts of beads/pellets. The pellets are a little harder to work with but it can be done.  I decreased with the pellets but would wait 2 to 4 weeks between decreases to see how my symptoms were. Always base your decreases on how you are feeling.  Take good care of yourself, drink lots of water, eat well and take a good fish oil supplement.  

That's my advice in short.  There's others on the forum who have a greater knowledge of the process than I do and I know they will jump in here to help you.  Best of luck to you in weaning.

Gran

#4 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 26 August 2016 - 08:47 AM

Welcome Startingnow.  You have received some sound advice. If your symptoms aren't too bad at this point then you can go ahead and start the bead counting. I normally recommend a drop of about 1 to 2% per day. How many beads in you capsule will determine how many beads that is per day. If you have 300 beads/capsule then you would drop around 3 beads per day. Keep us posted.

#5 startingnow

startingnow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 02:18 PM

Thank you very much for your responses, and advice.  What I have done thus far is not pick up my script.  I know, based on what I have read here, that approach may sound crazy.  To recap:  I went from 120mg/day to 60mg/day approximately 5-6 months ago.  Knew I wasn't feeling "right" but I have so many variables in my life right now, including auto-immune disorders, anxiety, being overweight, lots of stress associated with moving and recently losing my boyfriend of 6 years, as well as a dear friend of 30 years.  I attributed "not feeling well" -- tired, very tired, mood swings, and weight gain, to all that I had going on.  Never thought of Cymbalta/Duloxetine, nor did my Drs.  I am on the "delayed release capsules" by the way, in case that makes any difference.  

I just want off.  My script is sitting at the CVS, and it have been since Wednesday, and I know going "cold turkey" off of 60 mg may not be smart.  So far, I am suffering with extreme fatigue, sweating, painful leg cramps, extra intense anxiety, foggy brain, including inability to find words that I would normally use, and the most pronounced effect so far is anger.  I am not an angry person (except toward myself) and I have lashed out at my sister several times since Wed.  I have apologized and asked her to ignore me, as I believe this must be due to the cessation of taking the drug.  And, oddly, I have imagined things -- imagined that she said things to me, that she said she did not say?  Anyone else have this?

Finally, I don't have a stomach ache, but I find myself hungry at night.  Only right before bed.  And, of course, not sleeping well, but that's nothing new for me.  

I want to just keep going without taking any, until/unless the symptoms become unbearable.  I will pick up my script so I have it, but, as I said, I really just want to keep on this path of cold turkey and hope that I am one of the lucky ones who can make it this way.  

I look forward to your thoughts/feedback.  Feeling really alone on all this, so I am glad I found this site.  

#6 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 27 August 2016 - 03:36 PM

I understand where you are coming from SN. What you are doing is risky but can be managed. If it does prove to be too much you can take a small dose of Cymbalta (say 4 or 5 mg) to take the edge of. You may have to experiment with it. It might take 10mg or only 2 or 3 mg. With time those small doses should become smaller and farther between. Keep us posted.

#7 startingnow

startingnow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 03:40 PM

Thank you for your response.  I am going to check in frequently to get feedback on what I should do.  I am crying now, but hope, as I said, I can just keep going and get off this and all scripts.  I don't have any faith in Dr.'s or the FDA or anyone, other than people like you.

#8 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 27 August 2016 - 04:40 PM

We will help all we can but don't get too down on the drs. The drug manufacturers are NOT required to train the drs on their particular drugs and certainly don't train them on any new information that may ne forthcoming about a drug. The FDA provides a lot of good medical information, including warnings, on drugs but it is up to the drs to keep up with all the FDA notices. On top of that there are approximately 300 new medical journal articles published each week and NO dr can keep up with reading them as busy as they are. We must educate and investigate ourselfs.  What a shame.

#9 Raven72

Raven72

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • LocationSomewhere In The Stratosphere
  • why_joining:
    Additional support outside my atmosphere.

Posted 27 August 2016 - 11:25 PM

You are right in the fact that going cold turkey from 60g is risky. But the bead counting didn't work for me either. I stopped cold turkey from 30mg though. The hardest part for me was how quickly my doctor at the time. Hang in there. We are here for you.

#10 startingnow

startingnow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 03:31 PM

So, on day 5 of cold turkey off of 60 mg.  Lots of crying, anger, anxiety, confusion, and soooooo tired.  Slept longer than I have since I can remember.  

No brain zaps, that I am aware of at least.  Terrible leg cramping at night.  Blurred vision.  Lack of understanding from family members.  Strong desire to drink alcohol?  

Thanks for listening and just being here.  

#11 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 28 August 2016 - 03:35 PM

SN, the urge for alcohol has been mentioned by many members when going through the withdrawal. Not exactly recommended therapy though.  lol

#12 startingnow

startingnow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 07:58 PM

Hello - update since my post on Sunday -- day 5 of cold turkey from 60mg/day.  On Sunday night, I hit the wall so to speak.  I had horrible nightmares and thoughts of leaving Earth entered my mind.  I decided to get help immediately on Monday morning.  I don't have a treating physician because I have moved. 

I was fortunate to find a Dr. who listened and worked with me on a plan that was safer.  I went back on at 30mg/day and feel significantly better.  I am still having side effects including fatigue and mood swings, blurred vision, sweating and difficulty sleeping, but I am doing ok and hoping to stay at this dose for a period of time then drop down again.  Glad to have a place where I can share information and get advice from people who have gone through this.  Thank you.

#13 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 01 September 2016 - 07:15 AM

Hi Startingnow,

What a good move! Your doctor is wonderful, we don't hear this often.
Thinking of leaving earth is what most feel. What a terror feeling.

Your plan to stabilize first then drop is the right move.
I am glad that you are feeling better!

You are on the right track and please keep updating.

#14 Pittbullmomma

Pittbullmomma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 09:34 PM

Hi SN!! Saw your posts and was wondering how your doing. Iam on my 6th day without. I hope all is well!!

#15 emoothart

emoothart

Advanced Member

• Site Supporter
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 01:06 PM

How are you doing now, StartingNow?  I'm glad you found a doctor who could help you stabilize.  I'm bead counting my way down and even that is tough - I can't fathom going cold turkey!  Hope you're well!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users