#541 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:50 AM

Not unusual. The tinnitus, "shady, sleepy and sometimes somewhat headache... " usually fades over the next 2 or 3 months. The floaters can be permanent or last for months.

#542 Howtostoppropperly

Howtostoppropperly

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 06 June 2017 - 08:13 AM

Today my brain is kind of off and I'm terrible tired alltough I've slept 8 hours full. It's better with 0.25mg alprozolam x2 a day.

It's better to take that then to fight against it, isn't it FH?

#543 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 June 2017 - 08:22 AM

If you have a job to keep you really have no choice, beside that is a small dose of alprazolam and shouldn't be too hard to come off of that size dose.

#544 Howtostoppropperly

Howtostoppropperly

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 06 June 2017 - 10:10 AM

Okay FH, Then I take 0,25mg in the morning en 0,25mg at lunch the coming period.

#545 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 June 2017 - 12:53 PM

I see no problem with that.

#546 Howtostoppropperly

Howtostoppropperly

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 08 June 2017 - 06:28 AM

I hope this period will go over because Im not feeling that well this week... Anxiety/sweating/snoaring/dry mounth... 

#547 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 08 June 2017 - 07:38 AM

Just time my friend. It should slowly fade.

#548 Guest_gardenlady_*

Guest_gardenlady_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2017 - 08:14 PM

Okay FH, Then I take 0,25mg in the morning en 0,25mg at lunch the coming period.

Forgive me for chiming in here, but from my experience and that of thousands of others, taking a benzo to offset the antidepressant withdrawal symptoms is like playing with fire.  I've already been burned by the benzo fire and it distresses me to see others playing with it.  I write this with all due respect to the moderators here who do such a wonderful job.  I know I'll need their help when I tackle my Cymbalta taper.   I think one of the most important things I've learned through my experience is that there are no rules when it comes to psych drug withdrawal....except, perhaps, do not go cold turkey.  We are all different...no two experiences are alike...all we can do is to share our own, so that's what I'm doing here. 

Benzo withdrawal is as hard if not harder for many people than antidepressant withdrawal.  .5 mg of alprazolam is equivalent to 10 mg. of diazepam (Valium), so it's not a small dose by any stretch of the imagination and you can become physically dependent on it very quickly.  Just a warning.  I'm nearing the end of a benzo taper, myself, and then will start the Cymbalta taper after I'm stable enough, which may be quite awhile.  I hate to see you free yourself from one poison only to be a prisoner of another one. Please use caution and wean off of the alprazolam before taking any more of it.  At least read up on it on Benzo Buddies and find out for yourself.  There is a wealth of information there and on many more websites.  

Congrats on a great job of getting off of the Cymbalta!  You are an inspiration to me!!

#549 Howtostoppropperly

Howtostoppropperly

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 09 June 2017 - 04:33 AM

Hi Gardenlady, thanks for your input. I don't take the alprozolam automatically, there were weeks that I did not needed it at all so I did not took it then.
I do it only when its tough I take 0,25mg and not 0,5mg en on a hard day like yesterday I take 0,25mg in the morning and 0,25 at 6 in the evening

#550 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:07 AM

Garden Lady has a good point. I am a strong believer and promote the use of hydroxyzine and/or clonidine instead as they are non-addictive and do not have a withdrawal. I must also add that benzo buddies and my pdoc are the ones that educated me to water titration and using it to come off benzos with little to no withdrawal. A great technique. But when a choice is available try the hydroxyzine or clonidine first. You bring up a great point and I appreciate your position on this. The psych clinic I go to has recently stopped prescribing Xanax for a drug therapy sue to the addictiveness to it. They will be cutting back on use of other benzos as time passes. Any dr wishing to prescribe a benzo must get the clinics approval. A great idea.

By the way Garden Lady, this site is not moderated. We are all just members that have been through or are going through the fire of Cymbalta withdrawal.

#551 Howtostoppropperly

Howtostoppropperly

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 09 June 2017 - 09:04 AM

Would this say that Im addicted to alprazolam when I take 0,25mg only when needed and max 2x 0,25mg?

#552 Guest_gardenlady_*

Guest_gardenlady_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:28 AM

Hi Gardenlady, thanks for your input. I don't take the alprozolam automatically, there were weeks that I did not needed it at all so I did not took it then.
I do it only when its tough I take 0,25mg and not 0,5mg en on a hard day like yesterday I take 0,25mg in the morning and 0,25 at 6 in the evening

Hi HTSPP.  If you are taking .25 mg alprazolam twice a day, that is a total of .5 mg and = 10 mg diazepam.  Each .25 mg alprazolam = 5 mg diazepam.  If you take it intermittently and for only a few days, you are less likely to develop a dependence on it.  Benzos are not to be taken for more than a few days because of their addictive properties.  Fishinghat's advice, in my opinion, was spot on...try taking hydroxyzine and/or clonidine instead of alprazolam.  The more you rely on alprazolam, the higher the probability of developing a physical dependence on it.  If you stop taking it altogether and don't experience withdrawal, you are ok. The problem is that you are already in withdrawal from the Cymbalta so it'll be hard to know which symptoms are from which drug.  All the more reason to avoid complicating matters by introducing another psych drug to help in withdrawal from another one.  My advice would be to avoid the alprazolam completely and try the other, non-addictive options. That way, you won't have to wonder.  

FH is right in that we simply cannot avoid withdrawal symptoms...we can strive only to minimize them.  You sound like a real fighter to me.  You CAN do this, knowing that it WILL end.  Do yourself a favor....be completely psych drug free in the safest and most expedient way possible.  That's my goal...I have a long road ahead of me with 5 mg of diazepam and 48 mg of Cymbalta yet to taper, but stories like yours inspire me to keep at it. 

I wish you all the best...and keep posting!

#553 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:41 AM

Actually GardenLady (I love that name), I don't know of anyone who has had benzo withdrawal symptoms in the last few years when using the water titration method (unless they get impatient, lol). Like you said though the other two are a far better choice if you can take them they should be tried first. I only know of a few drs around here that still use the diazepam conversion method. Use to be around here they converted to Xanax and weaned from that. I never understood that as diazepam is an easier wean than Xanax.

#554 Guest_gardenlady_*

Guest_gardenlady_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:43 AM

Garden Lady has a good point. I am a strong believer and promote the use of hydroxyzine and/or clonidine instead as they are non-addictive and do not have a withdrawal. I must also add that benzo buddies and my pdoc are the ones that educated me to water titration and using it to come off benzos with little to no withdrawal. A great technique. But when a choice is available try the hydroxyzine or clonidine first. You bring up a great point and I appreciate your position on this. The psych clinic I go to has recently stopped prescribing Xanax for a drug therapy sue to the addictiveness to it. They will be cutting back on use of other benzos as time passes. Any dr wishing to prescribe a benzo must get the clinics approval. A great idea.

By the way Garden Lady, this site is not moderated. We are all just members that have been through or are going through the fire of Cymbalta withdrawal.

Thanks for the clarification, FH, about the moderator issue.  I've read so many of your posts and am amazed at your kindness, patience and wisdom.   I hope you'll be around to help me when I resume my Cymbalta taper.

I stupidly tried to taper Cymbalta while holding my benzo taper at 5 mg and while in benzo withdrawal.  I tapered rapidly after crossing over to 13 mg diazepam from 1.75 mg Ativan in Jan-Feb.  I tried and failed to taper Ativan due to it's 6 hr half-life.  I crossed to diazepam slowly, but it caused a black, chemical depression unlike anything I have ever experienced.  So, I tapered rapidly to get to a lower dose.  The depression lifted, but I hit the wall at 5 mg and had to hold.  I thought I could embark on the Cymbalta taper while holding and found out that I couldn't since I was already suffering from a downregulated GABAergic system from the benzo taper.  I made 2 10% cuts of Cymbalta, the first from 60 mg to 54 mg and the 2nd fro 54 mg to 48 mg.  I was practically non-functional with anxiety and akathisia.  In the middle of all this, it turns out that I am moving!  So, I'm holding everything until the move is completed which will be at the end of July.  I have to be as functional as possible now to withstand the rigors and stress of moving.

I plan to resume and complete the 5 mg diazepam taper after I'm settled in my new home.  Then, when I am stable enough (who knows how long that will be???), I'll resume the Cymbalta taper.  I'm kindled, so I'm bracing myself for a tough go of it.  I hope you'll still be around here to help me when that time comes!  You are the kind of mentor I'm looking for.  

#555 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 09 June 2017 - 11:06 AM

I will be here GardenLady. You are doing the wise thing to hold where you are at especially while moving. When coming off a benzo, even after you are completely off, many drs recommend 2 years to let your body fully adjust, I think that is a little long though. It wouldn't surprise me if it took you a couple 3 months to get your strength back. time and patience (but you already know that, lol)

#556 Newbegining

Newbegining

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationSurrey UK
  • why_joining:
    because i thought i was going mad and if i get out of this hell,i will be committed to helping others,if not with knowledge but by listening and responding(if i can understand how too! computer useless)!!!!! :)

Posted 11 June 2017 - 03:03 PM

Good Evening everyone, 

just wanted to update, im now down to 42 beads and was feeling quite positive about how things were going. I still have tinnitus,the stiff neck but not feeling so dizzy and depression wise i was beginning to see little glimpses of things lifting. I have now been on 150mg zoltof for 7 weeks  and i definitely feel as though this is going to be a good medication, especially as my OCD thinking has calmed.

However my appointment to see a psychiatrist was on wedsnesday. Went in quite positive . I had to go through all my history of breakdowns, medication, therapy etc which i find very difficult and upsetting as it brings back very bad memories and traumatic times.  Then when we came to discussing my medication and i explained about weaning down by bead counting he smirked and said WHY? That being down to 5mg was having no effect so should just stop. I explained how id been feeling from coming down from 120mg the stiff neck, dizziness, tinnitus etc and he said thats just a coincidence . I explained about all the research i had  done and the forum and also my GP saying about people having problems coming off this drug, and he said" i have never heard of anyone having problems stopping cymbalta" and i should," stop reading up on it!"  He then said"what do you think is wrong with you? " By which time i just felt as though he thought me as a time waster , hypochondriac  and a bit dim!!  He asked if i was suicidal or felt as though i wanted to harm my son or anyone, when i said no, he then completed his tick list and that was it!!

Spent the next two days in bed as so drained and low, felt as though i was mad and imagining all how i was feeling, making me question myself, could feel the anxiety creeping back and that sheer fear. Thank goodness for this site all i could do was read old threads to reassure myself it wasnt just me.

I felt so angry that someone who was supposed to help me made me feel so bad again when i was beginning to feel stronger mentally!! A good talking to from my dear hubby and 2 days of him telling me to " take no notice of the man he is a bloody idiot, and see your regular gp as she seems to know more than the psychiatrist does" .  Also seeing a lot of comments on this site about bad doctors and their opinions made me take control again!!

Seeing my GP on tuesday for my fortnightly chat to see how the weaning is going , so will discuss with her . 

Sorry gone on a bit but wanted to record how i was feeling so i can look back on it, and other people reading this will know they are not alone in having crap appointments.  I have been fortunate in the past that my insurance covered me being able to see psychiatrists privately who have the time and resources to fully listen and not like now, i am no longer covered as my depression is classed as a chronic illness, i have to rely on the NHS, when as long as im not in danger to anyone or suicidal and the " tick list" has been completed , im then dismissed.

Anyway, feel better for that!

Sending lots of get well wishes and strength to everyone, hoping a positive solution for everyone really quickly. x

#557 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 11 June 2017 - 05:36 PM

NBG - Can you get assigned to a different dr. this one is way out of date? If not, I can get you some literature from the FDA and the manufacturer that documents the dangers of Cymbalta withdrawal and maybe you can show that to the dr before you shove it down his throat!! 

#558 Newbegining

Newbegining

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationSurrey UK
  • why_joining:
    because i thought i was going mad and if i get out of this hell,i will be committed to helping others,if not with knowledge but by listening and responding(if i can understand how too! computer useless)!!!!! :)

Posted 12 June 2017 - 11:19 AM

Hello FH

thank you for your reply, im seeing my GP tomorrow and will discuss with her. To be honest i think seeing a psychologist will be better for me, if past experience is anything to go by.

As for the info thanks for the offer but do not want to go anywhere near him again, or it could be my hands round his throat!! :blink:

As always thank you so much for all your help , information and support you give to everyone, you are a very special person.

God bless x

#559 Howtostoppropperly

Howtostoppropperly

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:31 PM

Small update, since 2 weeks I don't have any symptoms except of tinnitus and floaters so I' a happy man again!
alprozolam isn't needed anymore and I quit with instantly for 2 weeks also  :)  :)

have a nice weeken d all!

#560 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 16 June 2017 - 06:05 PM

Super, Now, of the Zoloft?

#561 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 17 June 2017 - 12:49 AM

Yeah for you! Enjoy it, enjoy it to the max.

As for the Zoloft, I would forget it for a while. When and if time comes,you have travelled from so far. Bon voyage mi amigo.

#562 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 17 June 2017 - 08:52 AM

Gail is right. I would give myself at least a few months for my nervous system to recover some. Good point Gail.

#563 Howtostoppropperly

Howtostoppropperly

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 17 June 2017 - 12:30 PM

I lowered to 75mg zoloft because I want my libido back so I can enjoy sex back again!! Cheers guys

#564 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 17 June 2017 - 01:00 PM

Let me know how that goes because I will be doing the same thing in the future. I read a lot of posts on it and they say the digestive issues are worse than Cymbalta but the other symptoms are lighter. It will be interesting to see what your experience is like.

#565 Howtostoppropperly

Howtostoppropperly

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 18 June 2017 - 03:34 AM

with cymbalta, I haven't had any digestive issues so I hope that this will be same with Zoloft. I will take 75mg till the end off july and my body feels okay then I lower to 50mg.

Keep ya posted guys!

#566 Newbegining

Newbegining

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationSurrey UK
  • why_joining:

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:37 AM

Hello , just checking in, im down to 15beads today. The last few days my stiff neck has gone and the tinnitus isnt so loud. Feel very acidic in my stomach which goes through to my shoulder blades, but not sure if thats withdrawal or would happen anyway?

Glad things are going well HTSP, and going down to 75mg of zoltoft as well, fantastic :)

Hope everyone else is having a good day. :rolleyes:

#567 Newbegining

Newbegining

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationSurrey UK
  • why_joining:

Posted 02 July 2017 - 03:41 PM

Evening , 

I finished my last bead 7 days ago!! Did not want to post anything too soon as my last post when i said my tinnitus wasnt so loud and my neck pain had gone, they both came back soon after :( 

The first couple of days off my cymbalta i felt ok, but since then ive had really loud tinnitus, feeling of general unwell. its as though im drunk and trying extra hard to have a normal conversation , all the pressure in my head , very snappy mainly because my head feels loud and buzzy.

What i wanted to ask FH or anyone else reading this , is it normal to feel like this while on 150mg of zoltoft, of which ive been on for  9weeks now. Because i am having trouble getting out of bed, i do make myself but it takes a very long time to psych myself to get up and am constantly pushing myself to do anything. I was just wondering if this is my depression and i need to up the zoltoft. I will discuss with my Dr but just wanted some thoughts from people with experience.

I have read so many posts going back years but when my heads like this cant seem to remember things and take stuff in. Sorry rambling but feels a bit like going backwards and i was having periods when i seemed a bit better.

Just want to say as always thankyou to everyone who posts on this site, its such a life saver, especially to those who help others when they are still suffering, it makes me feel very selfish as i find im getting through each day as best i can and dont seem to have the energy to reply much on here, hopefully when my " get up and go" comes back i will be more active with posting and help others.

Good well wishes to all xx 

#568 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 02 July 2017 - 04:02 PM

"What i wanted to ask FH or anyone else reading this , is it normal to feel like this while on 150mg of zoltoft, of which ive been on for 9weeks now. Because i am having trouble getting out of bed, i do make myself but it takes a very long time to psych myself to get up and am constantly pushing myself to do anything. I was just wondering if this is my depression and i need to up the zoltoft. I will discuss with my Dr but just wanted some thoughts from people with experience."

Definitely NOT typical. More than enough time for the Zoloft to kick in. The difficulty getting out of bed and residual brain function issues indicate that this maybe side effects from the Zoloft and/or that Zoloft may not be the right medicine or you. Do you have a lot of apathy? Just don't care about much of anything? This would be typical for someone who is on too high a dosage.

#569 Newbegining

Newbegining

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationSurrey UK
  • why_joining:

Posted 03 July 2017 - 10:41 AM

Hello FH

Thanks for replying, i will speak to my Dr when i next see her.  When you go onto another med , does it then take away the withdrawal symptoms mainly meaning tinnitus, head pressure dizziness. when i look back in my journal a month ago im better from then, just im getting a bit anxious that these symptoms are not the cymbalta. Perhaps ive been reading things wrongly and it takes up to eight weeks to see the light as people describe for people coming off without any other meds? 

sorry to take up your time but feeling like a hypochondriac ,or theres something really wrong with me or im imagining the dizziness head pressure neck pain. :(  

Hope you are ok, i dont mean it to seem me me me x

#570 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 03 July 2017 - 06:12 PM

No apology needed NB, that is what I am here for. Yes, usually things start to slowly improve around 2 or 3 months. If you start another ssri or snri  they usually take 4 to 8 weeks to fully kick in although you may see some help sooner than that. The new antidepressant usually takes care of the withdrawal symptoms but sometime an antidepressant works and sometimes it doesn't. Drs have been trying to figure out why for years. The only thing you can do it give one a try and hope you get lucky.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users