• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mbelvoir

mbelvoir

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 01:17 PM

I was on 120mg for a month on Cymbalta (at 60 for two years and 90 for 6 months). I have spent the last month getting off Cymbalta slowly and getting onto Zoloft. On Sunday, two days ago, I stopped Cymbalta completely. I am a complete wreck.

I tried working from home yesterday but spent my time rushing to the bathroom, having panic attacks, and crying. I feel so dizzy it makes me sick to my stomach. I am having the brain zaps. My mood swings are crazy high and low from sad to angry to happy to scared to anxious and all over again. I m currently at work trying not to have a panic attack and I feel so sick to my stomach.

My psychiatrist said to just go back on the lowest does I have (30mg) but I feel like that will defeat what I've gone through the last two days. I've read this can last for 6 months, and that is something I just cannot handle. If anyone has suggestions or support I would love it. I feel like I am at my breaking point.

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 20 September 2016 - 01:50 PM

Welcome mb

I guess my first question is how much Zoloft are you on? Your dr has an OK approach compared to a lot of drs. Crosstapering from Cymbalta to Zoloft should take 4 to 6 weeks. Normally at this point you would have some symptoms but not too bad and once the Zoloft fully kicked in (4 to 6 weeks) you would be fine. There is a significant chance, like any ssri, that Zoloft may not work for you. I guess my first suggestion would be to take about 2 or 3 mg od Cymbalta, one time only, to see how much of a break it gives you. This is done by opening a 30 mg capsule and counting the beads. Lets say 300 beads. 3 mg would be 10% or 30 beads. Put those 30 beads back in the capsule and take it. The next day you will need to evaluate how well it worked. Do you need to take a little larger dose or can you get by with a smaller dose? Going up to 30 is OK IF you need that much BUT working your way up slowly will find the minimum amount you need to survive. One you find the right dose you can slowly, maybe 1 or 2 beads a day, reduce your dose until weaned. This is called bead counting. Others will kick in soon with their input but don't worry you are not alone. We will help you get through this.

#3 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:43 PM

Hi MB,

Reinstate the 30mg at least, you were on 90, this should bring a bit of relief.

Panic, anxiety, fear, are withdrawal symptoms. Even though we do experiment this outside of withdrawal at times.

It won't defeat what you went through these last days for sure.

90 is a high dosage, usually takes much more than three months to withdraw.

So, from all that I have read here in the last two years and more, it would be a sensible thing to do. What is your Zoloft dosage at the moment? Since when? We need to be careful about the serotonin so it doesn't go sky high.

Come back anytime and know for sure that withdrawal from Cymbalta is a real torture if not done properly. By the way, you seem to have a great doctor!

#4 Anndi

Anndi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 11:08 PM

Hope it's OK to put my experience in here, as I'm also weaning off....see Anndi Journey...I have only just, in the last week or so, started to feel relatively ok...I've been weaning off for two months by bead counting from 60mg...I've still got a long way to go. some days I get an upset tummy & don't know if it's the weaning or something I've eaten...it's an awful journey & I know it's a very slow one.

All the best in your journey...

#5 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 21 September 2016 - 08:25 AM

I am glad you are starting to turn the corner and improve Anndi. The 8 to 10 week time period seems to be when most start seeing some improvements.

#6 mbelvoir

mbelvoir

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 04:09 PM

I went back on 30mg of Cymbalta yesterday afternoon. I took it again this morning. I am going to stay on this dosage until I see my psychiatrist next Tuesday. Yet, here I am sitting at work and I feel terrible again. I was doing okay most of the day and now I feel incredibly sick and empty. Like I am physically empty. Not emotionally. I do feel my emotions going crazy again and spanning from one end of the spectrum to the other. I just don't know how people are supposed to go through these feelings while working or living their life at all. I just want to curl up in a ball and sleep until it all goes away. I would rather stay on the drug at this point than get off of it, even if it isn't doing anything for my depression anymore.

I can't concentrate to save my life. I feel so lost right now.

#7 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 21 September 2016 - 05:30 PM

You know mb, it sounds like the Zoloft is not working. What dose are you on?

#8 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 22 September 2016 - 01:23 PM

Hi MB,

I understand what you are saying, fine one minute and down the next.
I am real glad that you have reinstated. And also that you are seeing your doctor soon.

What is your Zoloft dosage by the way?

The 30 mg will help, far from perfect, but it will alleviate your symptoms.
Linear feelings are not to be expected. Especially not here nor anywhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users