• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ChristinaKatrina

ChristinaKatrina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 10:44 PM

I just registered and honestly not up for lengthy, detailed posts, but I will say it's been difficult and lengthy. It's been 4 1/2 months since my last dose. I weaned from 90 to 60 to 30 about two weeks apart. I gave up on the last phase of weaning midway through and quit it altogether.

My worst symptoms are anxiety, fuzzy headedness and disorientation. And paranoia
I thought this would be gone by now. I will add that there are other factors involved and other medications but I'm not going into it now. I'm on my tablet and simply have no patience for doing anything like lengthy posts.

Also involved are the death of my two pets, my best friends at the same time. The death of number 1 triggered giving up 30 mg cold turkey.

Since giving up Cymbalta I've been hospitalized, put on Risperidone, had my Xanax raised then lowered.

I'm a mess and can't tell how much of this is Cymbalta and how much is everything else. Sometimes I feel I'm being manaced and oppressed by a negative entity and other days I deny such exist and if they did, nothing wants to hurt me.

I will end this post by saying the main culprits right now are fear, fear, fear. Paranoia and more paranoia. Anxiety and more anxiety.

I was on Cymbals for almost 8 years. Before Cymbalta was Effexor, before that was Paxil.

Some days I believe I died and am in hell. I feel worse in the AM and daytime and feel better in the evenings.

Thanks for listening.

#2 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 21 October 2016 - 07:13 AM

Hi Christine and welcome to the forum,

You are going through quite an ordeal here and I am sorry for all that suffering.

My first thought is that there could be an bad interaction between the meds you are taking that may cause this suffering. If this should be the case, we have a member here that is quite experienced in that matter. Should you want to further this, a list of your meds would be necessary.

Could it be an old condition coming back? From all that I have read about the Cymbalta subject, I don't think that it is the culprit here.

Come back anytime Christine, we are here for you. How I wish that I could make that suffering go away!

#3 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 21 October 2016 - 08:31 AM

Hi Christine

WOW!! This sounds like a repeat of my experience although I weaned a little slower. I was in deep fear for nearly 3 months before any sign of relief. There are a couple things to consider.

First, Xanax is a benzodiazepine and is very addictive with its own withdrawal. Benzos are to be used for short periods only due to the dependence factor. Lowering a benzo would set off its own withdrawal and would make the cymbalta withdrawal much worse. No more changes in Xanax until this gets under control.

Second, there are a couple options to get some control over this. First, the use of Clonidine and/or hydroxyzine. neither have withdrawal and can provide significant relief. Also, over the counter Benadryl contains diphenhydramine which will provide some relief from anxiety and some assistance in sleeping.

A third option is to take and open a capsule of Cymbalta, count the beads and calculate out a 3 to 5 mg dose. Put that number of beads back in the capsule and take the dose. This should bring you some relief for a day or two. Only do this when in severe withdrawal. With time you will need a smaller and smaller dose to help handle things and eventually none.

Each person is different and your success with any of these steps may vary compared to others but it is a starting place.

Please keep us posted. 

#4 ChristinaKatrina

ChristinaKatrina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 09:50 PM

Hi Christine
WOW!! This sounds like a repeat of my experience although I weaned a little slower. I was in deep fear for nearly 3 months before any sign of relief. There are a couple things to consider.
First, Xanax is a benzodiazepine and is very addictive with its own withdrawal. Benzos are to be used for short periods only due to the dependence factor. Lowering a benzo would set off its own withdrawal and would make the cymbalta withdrawal much worse. No more changes in Xanax until this gets under control.

Second, there are a couple options to get some control over this. First, the use of Clonidine and/or hydroxyzine. neither have withdrawal and can provide significant relief. Also, over the counter Benadryl contains diphenhydramine which will provide some relief from anxiety and some assistance in sleeping.

A third option is to take and open a capsule of Cymbalta, count the beads and calculate out a 3 to 5 mg dose. Put that number of beads back in the capsule and take the dose. This should bring you some relief for a day or two. Only do this when in severe withdrawal. With time you will need a smaller and smaller dose to help handle things and eventually none.

Each person is different and your success with any of these steps may vary compared to others but it is a starting place.

Please keep us posted.

Just wondering if it's possible it's not Cymbalta related anymore. I haven't touched any for six months now.

I will say I still struggle with grief when I think of my cats and I tire badly fighting the notion I'm tormented by a negative entity of some sort.

I struggle with solid foods during the day and generally only feel better in the evening after 9pm or so. My stomach relaxes more and I can eat then. During the day I drink Ensure and have apples and bananas. Sometimes I can force myself to eat cereal but I often feel like gagging.

#5 ChristinaKatrina

ChristinaKatrina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 09:57 PM

Also, the fear is still there. Every day I wake up feeling afraid. Especially of being left alone.

I know Cymbalta was a triggering factor because all the rest of this crap happened when I quit. I've quit opioids and Xanax before but never had symptoms this long and intense and there wasn't the level of fear I have now.

#6 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 21 November 2016 - 07:07 AM

Hello Christina,

No one should live like this. I do think it's time to go on another medication.

I do hope that you have a psychiatrist to help you determine what would be right for you.
Six months of suffering like this is way too much!

#7 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 21 November 2016 - 09:33 AM

Hi Christina.

If you look back at a month ago do you think you have improved any? If you decide to get on a medicine I would suggest Clonidine. It is very good at controlling fear and anxiety and has no withdrawal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users