#1 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 30 November 2016 - 05:39 PM

Went to my every three month visit with my psychiatrist today and was surprised by a sign posted on the wall of the lobby. It says that this mental health center will no longer be writing prescriptions for Xanax unless you are currently weaning off Xanax. Xanax will not be prescribed in the future.

When I got done with my dr I asked her about the message. She said that according to the statistics at their office (9 psychiatrists there) they treat more patients for benzo withdrawal than for all other types of withdrawal from prescription meds. She said they had a full meeting of all the drs and everyone agreed that the use of benzos has gotten too routine. While sleeping meds (the Z drugs), ssri and snri all have significant withdrawal for many the occurrence of withdrawal is less than that for long term benzo users where almost all experience significant withdrawal. And of course there is buspar, hydroxyzine, clonidine and others that have no withdrawal. She said they were going to continue to collect data and monitor the situation and will probably issue policies on the use of Clonazepam and Lorazepam at a later date.

WOW!!  Somebody is learning that there is an issue with benzos. Can you imagine that?  lol

#2 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 05 December 2016 - 04:34 PM

Gosh, I never saw that post until today.

You mean that benzo withdrawal is worst than antidepressants?
In our case, or mine, it's such a slow process that it doesn't seem so. Of course, we are talking about years to withdraw. And it's not the case with antidepressants.

I am at two years and a half in withdrawing from 30 mg valium, in a month or so, it should be over. I should add that anxiety is my weakness, so I am real slow with this process.

Thanks for the info. But why Xanax? Is it a trend or what? I don't even know what it is, never tried it. Don't intend to either.

#3 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 05 December 2016 - 04:53 PM

Xanax is the most prescribed benzo by this clinic so of course that is why they are having the most problem with it.

You hit on a good point. If the withdrawal is very slow than there is little problem but most patients want off in a few weeks. Even if they are willing tot ake time the dr still has to deal with the prescription and withdrawal and it is on the record that the patient is withdrawing from XANAX SO it makes it looks like a huge problem because it takes them so long to get off the med.

#4 Raven72

Raven72

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • LocationSomewhere In The Stratosphere
  • why_joining:
    Additional support outside my atmosphere.

Posted 05 December 2016 - 05:16 PM

My father was addicted to Xanax. I believe it is was led to her untimely absence from this earth :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users