• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Walkingcalamity

Walkingcalamity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 05:32 PM

The first week on cymbalta, in my opinion, was kind of fun. I felt drunk but I looked like a crazy person. My eyes were so dilated and I didn't really care much about anything, which at the time, was a relief for me. However, I gained 50 pounds in 4 months without changing my eating habits. In 8 months I blew up With water retention to the point where it felt like my bones were being crushed. I went to an urgent care and they told me to stop taking it right away. I did and now I'm going through absolute hell. My family doctor who prescribed the drug thinks I'm crazy because the manufacturer of this drug claims that withdrawal symptoms aren't that bad. As I'm sure all of you know that is not the case. I can't work like this and am trying to get short term medical leave - (I groom dogs) - but I am worried because my doctor doesn't seem to be taking me seriously. I am experiencing it all : mood swings, suicidal thoughts, brain zaps, migraines, nausea, crippling panic attacks. I feel like I can't get any relief or help. Not to mention the water retention comes and goes still. I just needed to vent to people who know what I am going through and hopefully some of you can offer suggestions on what to do as far as some relief and any suggestions on my medical leave and my doctor. Thanks for listening.

#2 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 19 January 2017 - 05:54 PM

Welcome WC!  So happy that you have found us - we are always here for you :)

A few questions here - What dosage were you taking and how long were you on this evil drug?  How long have you been off? Was it the name brand or generic?

I'm sure that we will be able to help - we need your answers tho...

I must add that your Urgent Care didn't do you any favors and I suggest you change Drs.  So typical of the ignorance of this withdrawal.

Liz

#3 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 19 January 2017 - 05:57 PM

Welcome WC

Actually the manufacturer, Eli Lilley has a black box warning on their Cymbalta drug insert which should come with the medicine. Cold turkey stopping can lead to seizures, suicide, etc. The FDA has also issued warnings about this. The dr is an idiot. What you did is absolutely dangerous as well as exposing you to severe withdrawal. Get back on your original dosage as soon as possible and then you can slowly reduce from there using a system called bead counting.

Please see...
https://dailymed.nlm...f2-c185fbad64ba
This is the info from the manufacturer that should come with your medicine. See Section. 5,7.

http://www.fda.gov/s...n/ucm319241.htm
See Oct 2012 entry on discontinuing Cymbalta.

#4 Walkingcalamity

Walkingcalamity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:01 PM

Sorry, I forgot to add the details. I was on it almost a year. 60 mg and then 30 for a few months. I started taking it for anxiety and honestly it helped. However, I spent 2 years losing 95 pounds and I've gained 50 of it back and that made me depressed. I continued to take it until I blew up with water retention because my body felt like it was being crushed. It has gotten better since I've been off of it but I still go experience some swelling. I stopped taking it January 1st (Happy New Year)

#5 Walkingcalamity

Walkingcalamity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:04 PM

I'm also going to see an actual psychiatrist which I'm nervous about. I've only ever went to my family doctor. I'm not sure why this makes me so nervous but I feel like I'm not getting any help or answers from the medical professionals I've seen about all of this.

#6 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:23 PM

A good psychiatrist can be a big help with the meds but finding a good one can be difficult. Psychiatrists only regulate meds but a good psychologist can help you control the anxiety without meds. They can teach you relaxation techniques, control your heart rate and breathing and much more. I would highly recommend one. These techniques can help you greatly reduce your need for meds. Pick a psychologist who has experience with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy or Mindfulness. These seem to be the best techniques for anxiety.

#7 Walkingcalamity

Walkingcalamity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:32 PM

Thank you so much Liz and Fishinghat. I'm so happy I found this website and so thankful for such quick responses. I am going to start researching psychologists in my area now.

#8 Raven72

Raven72

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • LocationSomewhere In The Stratosphere
  • why_joining:
    Additional support outside my atmosphere.

Posted 20 January 2017 - 12:17 PM

Welcome WC,

So, glad you have found us. You have received so good advice so far. I am up there with Liz in that you need to find a new physician.  If you  need anything just let us know. We don't judge here.

#9 Walkingcalamity

Walkingcalamity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 07:35 PM

Thank you very much Raven. I've got some recommendations from friends and family that I'm looking into.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users