• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Walkingcalamity

Walkingcalamity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 04:18 AM

I noticed some people ended up gaining unwanted weight while on cymbalta. I am also one of those people. I gained a total of 50 pounds in 8 months and while I know this may not be a big issue for some but it Is for me. I struggled with being over weight all of my life and when I started this medication I was in the best shape of my life. I worked extremely hard for 3 years to get there and now all of that progress and hard work Is gone which triggers my depression big time. I know another one of my problems is my lack of confidence which I never had under control. I guess my question here Is : for those who have gained weight, was it easy to lose after stopping the medication? If so, how long did it take until you started to see results? I realize that everyone is different but I was just curious. Thanks for listening!

#2 Raven72

Raven72

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • LocationSomewhere In The Stratosphere
  • why_joining:
    Additional support outside my atmosphere.

Posted 25 January 2017 - 09:37 AM

Hello WC,

I was one of those who gained weight in the 1 1/2 years I was on this sinful drug. I too have struggled with my weight my entire life. Before I was put on it, I too was in the best shape of my life. I had worked hard for an entire year to lose close to 75lbs. Now I am struggling to get back to where I was. It's not easy but it can be done. I lose a little here and there and then some of it comes back. There are those that will tell you that exercise helps with more than just the weight, it also helps calm the anxiety. I am finding it hard to exercise like I used to because, well to be honest it just plain hurts. While my mental situation continues to get better, my body just doesn't want to catch up and I hate this sinful drug for it. But it can be done and I do not intend to give up until I am where I want to be. I know this probably wasn't much help to you, but I wanted you to know you were not alone.

Raven

#3 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 25 January 2017 - 09:45 AM

My situation is a little different than Ravens because I have other health issues that effect my diet as well. I gained about 50 lbs while on various antidepressants and after coming off the Cymbalta I was determined to lose the weight. It took me about 9 months of hard work and shifting my diet a little to do it but I lost 54 lbs.  Like Raven said, not easy but it can be done.

#4 Walkingcalamity

Walkingcalamity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:58 AM

Thank you so much Raven and Fishinghat

I have switched to a plant based diet since being off the cymbalta but currently my joints are extremely sore (never had this problem before cymbalta) and I still get dizzy spells from time to time which makes me leary to work out. I think it's time that I start small though, like the treadmill. Thank you so much for replying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users