• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 martay76

martay76

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:05 AM

I have been on Cymbalta for 2-3 years now for my fibromyalgia and have made the decision to go off of it.  I am tapering off from 60mg, I have been on 40mg for 6 days and have had a horrendous headache and muscle spasms like never before.  I am on the 40mg for another week and then go down to 20mg for two weeks and then off.  I have been reading everything I can find and came across something last night about taking fish oil in the morning and again at noon to help with the head issues and was wondering if anyone has tried this, has it worked?  Are there other things to try to help with these symptoms?  I also read where people are tapering slower than I am and am wondering if I should speak with my physician about extending it somehow.  I am just ready to be done with it!

#2 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:21 AM

Welcome Martay!

I will say that you are definitely weaning way too fast!  I went off of 60mg cold turkey 3 yrs ago and almost immediately had a horrendous headache that lasted 2 weeks.  I spent  a year in total hell...

Have you read about the bead counting on any of these posts?  It is definitely a safer way to get off this stuff and you can go at your own speed and control the withdrawal symptoms.  I wish I had known about this type of weaning when I went off the crap.

Unless your Dr. is really up to date with this weaning process, he/she will probably be of no help.  I have changed Dr.s 3 times due to their ignorance regarding this evil drug.

Please come back with any questions you may have - we are always here for you!

Liz

P.S.  I have had fibro for about 20 yrs now and found no benefits while taking this...I was on it for depression after I lost my daughter

#3 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:28 AM

"I am currently bead counting, on day 4 of my taper.  I began taking Omega 3 as well as fish oil supplements and haven't had any of the nasty side effects from C withdrawal yet.  Which is very promising, because I used to get them from time to time throughout the day even when I was on a full dose of C!"

This is a quote from a post yesterday...hoping this will answer your question regarding fish oil...

#4 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:39 AM

Welcome Martay

As Liz has pointed out many have gained benefit in there symptoms from Omega 3. Not a cure all but helps. I must also reiterate Liz's comment on weaning way to fast. Normally I would recommend a 1% a day reduction or slower.  In any case, we are here if you need us. We know what it is like.

#5 martay76

martay76

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:43 AM

Thank you!  I think I read taking 7 beads out each day or every other day? Maybe there's a thread in here somewhere that has details.  And it really hasn't done anything to help with my fibro either which is why I am wanting to stop taking it, my insurance changed and I cannot see spending $50 a month for something that doesn't work!

#6 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:48 AM

Regarding the number of beads to remove...

Please count the number of beads in one of your capsules - are you on the name brand or generic?  If you will let us know what the count is, we can help with the number to reduce daily..

#7 martay76

martay76

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 10:12 AM

I've never opened a capsule.  I will count them when I get home tonight.  I take two 20mg caps right now and it's generic.

#8 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 01 February 2017 - 10:20 AM

Be sure and notice if all the beads are the same size or not. Some generics have a variety of sizes.

#9 martay76

martay76

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:56 AM

Okay, so it appears there are 100 beads in each capsule.  I take two capsules every night....at least until next week when I'm supposed to drop down to one.

Did you feel extra tired when coming off of Cymbalta?  I am absolutely exhausted! And according to my daughter we have middle of the night conversations now that I have no recollection of in the morning!

#10 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 02 February 2017 - 09:22 AM

The fatigue  is normal as is restless sleep.

So you are taking a total of 200 beads a day. That means you would need to drop 2 beads a day normally. If you are determined to drop another capsule next week you can but it could be asking for trouble. That is a big drop. Just be prepared if you do make that drop things could get a lot worse. Hopefully you will be one of those that have few problems BUT in the case things do go bad just return to 200 beads a day and be prepared to bead count.  Whatever you choose we are here for you. We will help you through it.

#11 martay76

martay76

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 09:38 AM

I want to get off of this with the least amount of harm to my head and body as well as to my kids and coworkers feelings!  I seem to turn into an exhausted, angry person as the day goes on!  I wont have enough capsules to discontinue that way so will probably need to call my physician for a refill (eye roll-this crap is expensive!).  She wanted to see me back in six weeks thinking I would be completely off of it by then.

#12 EnjoyLife

EnjoyLife

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:14 PM

I am in the same position martay76!  I just went to my doctor on Tuesday and talked to him about weaning me off of the Cymbalta. due to my large weight gain (I always heard it causes weight loss for most people).   I gained 25 pounds in 15 months (big change when my normal weight is 115).  It is the only medication change I have made. Eating and exercise has remained the same.

Anyway, I have been on 60 mg for about 15 months. My Psychiatrist wanted to drop me down to 30 mg for a month and then see me back.  I said, "Wow, that is half of what I take now".  He said, "It's really not a big deal". So we finally agreed on 40 mg.  

It has only been 2 DAYS and I have had a horrible headache for both days!  I work from home and just woke up from a 1.5 hour nap since I couldn't keep my eyes open.  I am so behind in my work schedule from only 2 DAYS of this dose change. Ugh!

My teeth are also hurting which is really weird (not sure if that is related)!

I would greatly appreciate any advice.  I am also now taking the 40 mg GENERIC ( 2 capsules of 20 mg each).

Thank you!

#13 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:50 PM

Welcome EL!

Sorry to say, you have dropped WAY too much...with only a 12 hr half life, it doesn't take long for this withdrawal to start.

I went cold turkey off of 60mg 3 yrs ago and I know about the headache - thought my head would spilt!  I gained 30 lbs - was on this crap for 4 yrs.  The weight did come off though - no diet was necessary.

Doesn't sound like your Psych Dr. is knowledgeable regarding this poison drug.  I wish we could put these Dr.s on it and then have them go off cold turkey - they are total asshats...

My suggestion is to go back on the 60 and you will eliminate those withdrawal symptoms.  Stay at 60 until you are stable (this will not be but 2 or 3 days since you have been off those 20mg for only 2 days.) and then bead count your way down.  This will eliminate those withdrawal symptoms because you will be in charge and can go at your own speed.  If you need help with this, please come back and we will help you.

There is no time line here so it just takes as long as it takes - please come back and let us know what you decide

We are always here for you!

#14 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:51 PM

Hello Enjoylife,

Welcome! I would say stick with this 40 for a few days more. If still the same or worse, then back to 60 and bead counting.

Many do real well from 60 to 30, perhaps this is not your case. You will find out in a few days.

Come back anytime, we are listening.

#15 EnjoyLife

EnjoyLife

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 03:06 PM

Thank you Gail!  I will do that. :)  

#16 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 02 February 2017 - 03:13 PM

Welcome Enjoy life

I am going to agree with both ladies. I would estimate about half do well in the 60 to 30 drop and then you have to go slow from there. Obviously you dropped from 60 to 40 and are feeling the effects already. It really depends on how bad your symptoms are. I might add that if you can hold out a few more days it will either get better or worse. If worse, like Liz said, you will need to go back up to 60 and bead count your way down slowly.

There is another option also. If things are too uncomfortable you can open a capsule and take a few beads from the capsule and take them. This will give you some relief. You may have to do this once every day or too at first until you settle down but eliminates having to go back up to 60 and starting over and yet gives you some relief. you will need to open one capsule and count the beads. For temporary relief I would recommend taking 1 to 5% of the beads. Some times my descriptions are as clear as mud so let me know if you need clarification.  lol

#17 citrusbliss

citrusbliss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario Canada
  • why_joining:
    I need support in tapering off 30mg Duloxetine. I was on 60 mg for 4 years for chronic back pain and depression/anxiety. After 2 spinal fusion surgeries and a great psychologist I'm ready to go med free and see how it goes.

Posted 03 February 2017 - 03:02 PM

Hi, This is my first post. I have been weaning off of Duloxetine (Canadian generic) 60mg since January 7 of this year. I have been reading a lot of advice on this site and it is so helpful and comforting to know other people have been going through the same stages of withdrawal! My doctor started me on 30mg Duloxetine on January 7 (half of the usual dose) and the first few days were not too bad...I started counting beads and each capsule varies in number from 138 to 155 and no uniformity in bead size. So...after a week I began taking out 1% of beads (cumulatively) in each capsule each night. I also started taking Omega 3, magnesium, B 50, Vit C and Vitamin D.

I've been having headaches, insomnia, wild dreams, brain zaps and nausea since I have hit the 21mg mark (taking out 44 beads)! Anyone else have to take Gravol just to get through the day? I'm now going back up to 22mg hoping to ease the suffering. I really don't want to go back up to 30mg after getting through a month so far but this is sheer hell...I don't know if I should try a few more days, or cross taper to another SSRI. Difficult to think straight :(

#18 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 03 February 2017 - 03:20 PM

Welcome Citrus

You have come so far I would hate to see you go back on another ssri/snri.

I might suggest a little Benadryl. It should provide some short term relief. If it were me I would stay at the 21 mg mark until things settle down and when I started to wean again I would go a little slower. I assume you are removing 2 beads a day to achieve the 1%. You might have to go to 1 bead a day. You wouldn't be the first to have to do that.

#19 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 03 February 2017 - 03:27 PM

I almost forgot. I didn't have to take Gravol (Dramamine) but the brain swishes and spinning can be very annoying. I did however have to live off of pepto and Imodium for about a month. luckily the brain swishes are one of the first symptoms to fade for most.

#20 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 03 February 2017 - 03:39 PM

Hello Citrus,

Welcome. I would say that since this is pure hell as you mentioned, I would go back to 30mg.
Stabilise for a while, then bead count more slowly this time.

Yes, Gravol is Canadian, and I took it to ease the "hell", plus Benadryl Total. Orange and white box, one and a half tablet. Not every day as it loses its effectiveness.

You can always cross taper with a long half life antidepressant like Zoloft or Prozac. Before doing this, as I said before, I would go back on the 30mg.

Whatever you decide, we are here for you. Just curious, what province?

#21 citrusbliss

citrusbliss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • why_joining:
    I need support in tapering off 30mg Duloxetine. I was on 60 mg for 4 years for chronic back pain and depression/anxiety. After 2 spinal fusion surgeries and a great psychologist I'm ready to go med free and see how it goes.

Posted 03 February 2017 - 09:25 PM

Thank you fishing hat, encouragement is much appreciated! Very lonely going through this alone as I am now on disability due to back surgeries and depression/anxiety. I will give benadryl a try as you suggested and stabilize until I feel more human.

An odd thing that I have noticed is that I feel so much better by late afternoon/evening. Tonight I was able to spend time with my daughter shopping for her birthday while this morning I could hardly move with nausea and headache. 

#22 citrusbliss

citrusbliss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 03 February 2017 - 09:28 PM

Hi Gail, thank you for your suggestions and I'm definitely going to try benadryl. I'm in Eastern Ontario. Hi neighbour!!

#23 GettingGimpy

GettingGimpy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 06:11 PM

Just an update here (Day 17). I found out the reason I haven't experienced brain zaps as much is because I was taking Adderall, which basically mitigates a few of the Cymbalta WD symptoms. As soon as I weaned down, the "whooshing" returned. I assume that by the whooshing, the discontinuation effects on my mood are still in play; I will have a really awesome day and then feelings of worthlessness the next. It's f***ing mindblowing that it has lasted this long, although it's way more tolerable now than it was the first week. My doctor was dumbfounded after I told him I still have the zaps, and honestly, I don't even think he believes me. This is going to turn into a rant if I continue typing here. I feel so "boo-hoo. Why am I the only person in the world that has to deal with this?"

#24 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 04 February 2017 - 06:17 PM

Oh GG, It really sucks doesn 't it?

Even the drs who realize there is Cymbalta withdrawal don't realize how long it can last. Those 6 months to a year or two episodes do exist. You are doing fine though just take it slow and be patient.

#25 citrusbliss

citrusbliss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 04 February 2017 - 09:32 PM

Yes it does really suck!  I feel similar symptoms as GG, one day okay, next day hellish.

I have been looking through this site's posts on cross tapering with Prozac and I will call my GP on Monday to book an appointment. Gail also suggested this to me due to hellish withdrawal effects. 

When I realized that I haven't left the house in a week and I don't make any plans because I don't know if I can walk and talk at the same time it's time to ask for help  :blink: !!

Thank you to all who answer questions and offer support. I hope to do the same for others one day.

#26 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:

Posted 05 February 2017 - 08:13 AM

Good morning Citrus,

It's a good plan that you have by cross tapering.

I hope that you went back on 30mg. Don't bead count before the Prozac takes effect, four to six weeks. It will not take long to stabilize on the 30mg. I believe that they start you at 10mg Prozac.

And then the party will begin while you bead count!
Keep us posted, and welcome any time you want.

PS, walking and talking at the same time, that made me laugh!

#27 martay76

martay76

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 03:45 PM

How common is it for your eyeballs to feel like they are going to explode?  No headache today but my eyes seriously feel like they have tripled in size!

#28 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 February 2017 - 06:48 PM

U have read this a few times on posts before but not often.

#29 citrusbliss

citrusbliss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:33 AM

Good morning all!

I'm ready to ask my GP for Prozac for the purpose of cross tapering off C. Yay!!

My brain is a little off woozy so I'm asking those in the know for some clarification on timelines:

I went back up to 30 mg C after trying to bead count down to 22 mg and being too ill to function. 

Is it safe to take 30 mg C and 10 mg Prozac for 2 weeks and then start bead counting down C?

I'm in Canada so 30 mg is the lowest dosage of C available.

I have read that if you take the two AD's together for more than 2 weeks your body becomes dependent and you lose the cross taper effect of the Prozac...just wondering how to present a safe plan to my GP or least know if her plan is doable...Confused in Canada  :huh:

#30 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 07 February 2017 - 01:15 PM

Well bliss, the normal procedure around here would ne something like this...
30 mg C for a week
30 mg C every other day and 10 mg Prozac daily for a week
30 mg C every third day and 15 mg Prozac daily for a week
Stop C and 20 mg Prozac daily.

Now, having said that I can tell you that some drs start at there is a problem with that schedule. The every other day routine is bad as it jerks your Cymbalta levels up and down too much. The second thing is that it takes Prozac 4 to 6 weeks to kick in even if 20 mg is enough, which is iffy, that leaves you a in the middle of full withdrawal for about a month or more.

First of all why didn't you just stabilize at 30 mg and bead count a lot slower?  Secondly I would recommend, as you suggested, that you slowly bead count the Cymbalta while increasing the Prozac. Try a very slow bead count, over a 2 month period which will give the Prozac time to kick in. Most drs say that it is no big deal just tough it out but they haven't been through it like we have.

Have you though about talking to your dr about clonidine and/or hydroxyzine to deal with the withdrawal? It might be better than getting on another antidepressant or a different addictive drug like a benzo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users