• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Suze

Suze

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:25 AM

I've been on 60mg for about 18 months -- it actually worked wonders for me for the issues I was having (mostly job-related, but I'm also a single mother of an adult son with Down syndrome, was trying to manage all that plus arthritis and fibromyalgia and GAD and depression...). Jaw spasms are doing me in, though -- getting severe vertigo, ruining my right TMJ and a couple of teeth. I left my godawful job last month, have several months before I need to think about a job again (or just declare myself retired), so it's a good time to discontinue Cymbalta. I had such a horrible jaw spasm this weekend that I had severe vertigo and was nauseated for days, so I didn't take Cymbalta at all to give the muscles a chance to relax. After two days, I started taking some leftover 30mg capsules -- so this is day 3 on them, and I haven't taken 60mg since Friday. No brain zaps yet (I've had to skip doses before for the same issue and always get them), and I feel better than I have in days since the vertigo is finally resolving. I have some lightheadedness that's not part of the vertigo (different sensation), a bit of cramping/diarrhea, a mild headache, and the hand arthritis pain is talking a bit -- but nothing severe so far.

My doctor isn't going to like this, so I'm not involving him. I only have six 30mg capsules left, so I opened a 60mg to see what I'm dealing with here...omg...best I could count, 350 teeny-tiny beads. My headache might be from squinting for an hour, trying to count them using a toothpick as a sorting tool, damn things popping everywhere.... I read through some of the posts on bead counting, probably need to look into a scale. Anyway, just wanted to say hey and let you know I'm joining in.  :D

Suze

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:56 AM

Suze, welcome.

You need to refill your prescriptions right away and get back on 30 mg and see if you can stabilize there. Cold turkey is very dangerous. The manufacturer and FDA have both issued warnings against this. It can be so bad as to cause seizures, suicidal thoughts and even suicide. On top of that don't underestimate the severity of the withdrawal. Digestive issues, dizziness, brain zaps, severe emotional swings from anger, to fear to depression all on a matter of an hour. Even rage and lengthy spells of crying. These symptoms often take 4 to 8 months to fade away. Some of our members have been so sensitive to this medicine it has taken them over a year to get off it. (That is unusual though). It is highly unlikely that you would be able to take care of a special needs child.

Once you are stable on 30 mg then you begin what is called bead counting. Each day you open a capsule and take out 3 beads more than the day before. So remove 3 beads the first day, 6 the second, etc. AS SOON AS you feel withdrawal symptoms STOP at that dosage and maintain it until you feel better. Then you can start reducing again. It is slow and needs to be slow in order to function in any capacity. Is the withdrawal always like this? No but it is best to be prepared. If you reduce at 3 beads a day for a couple weeks and don't have a problem you can always move up to 4 beads a day and then 5 etc. But once the symptoms hit they can be very hard to deal with so go slowly.

I am sure others will post soon with their input as well. What ever you decide though, we are here for you. We know what it can be like. God Bless.

#3 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 01 March 2017 - 01:04 PM

Hello Suze,

Fishinghat is right, do get that prescription filled as soon as you can.

Many do pretty well dropping from 60 to 30mg. Give it a few weeks at 30mg before going any lower.

Get the prescription for 30mg, even if you have to say that you prefer taking it morning and evening. White lie.

We are here for you anytime you need Suze!

#4 Madison1

Madison1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • why_joining:
    To feel I'm not alone in this hell of antidepressants. Seeing others are having the same symptoms helps me to make it through each day. Hopefully my story will in turn help someone else.

Posted 02 March 2017 - 03:07 PM

At the horrible advice of a doctor I stopped cold turkey from 60mg. I had been on 30mg for about 2+ years before that too. I strongly advise against it. I am 2 1/2 years out and still believe some of the symptoms I have are caused by Cymbalta since I never had a problem prior to it. 

#5 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 02 March 2017 - 03:35 PM

Madison, I have now been off that poison for a little over 3yrs.  I, also, feel that I was left with quite a few gifts - unfortunately not the kind I would like :( I went cold turkey off of 60mg

Many current things like short term memory, lack of concentration, anxiety and several others are things I never had before...

I am happy that I am at least off, but wish I had never taken it (as do all who have gone through all of this)

Liz

#6 Suze

Suze

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 06:03 PM

I did pretty well going from 60mg to 30mg. Today I have no symptoms from withdrawal, although I'm feeling every arthritic joint in my body (first lawn mowing of the year kicked that in). I probably wasn't clear -- no intentions of going cold turkey! I'll count beads even if I have to break apart the 60mg capsules and pull out the right number...something Zen-like about it, anyway. My jaw is nice and loose, and my teeth quit hurting. No anxiety, which was the major issue Cymbalta was treating for me. I'm feeling really optimistic about this. Thanks, everyone.

Suze

#7 Suze

Suze

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 06:05 PM

Also, the reason I don't want to involve my doc -- he'll get this irritated look on his face and tell me to just take it every other day for a week and then quit. Patients are all whiners, right? He's as good as it gets where I live. 

#8 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 04 March 2017 - 06:32 PM

Oh, Suze...

If that Dr. is the best there is, that is sad.  Perhaps you could get him to take this crap for a few months and then tell him to just take it every other day for a week!

That would be interesting! :rolleyes:

Most  Drs. think they are gods - I have changed 3 times and FH more than that!

#9 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:01 PM

If they aren't working with me then they are working against me. You're fired. Next.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users