Photo

Alcoholic In Recovery. Want To Start Weaning Off 120Mg. Petrified.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Snowangel

Snowangel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 05:17 PM

I have been on anti depressants for about 20 years or more. Too many to remember. I was on Venlaflaxine last, and swapped it for cymbalta when I was trying for a baby. The side effects of coming off Venlaflaxine were horrendous. I was on 90 cymbalta for a year or so. But I got post natal depression on top of my normal depression and I fell into what I call my madness. They upped my dose to 120 cymbalta and I improved a little. I have been on that 120 ever since that was 4 1/2 years ago.

I have always used alcohol and other drugs to help self medicate my depression and anxiety. To my surprise 8 months ago I found out I was an alcoholic. After 28 years of daily drinking, I had no idea I was an alcoholic, I truly believed it helped the depression and anxiety!!!

I am now in Alcoholics Anonymous. Which is amazing , I'm sober 8 months. Going to the gym 5 days a week. Discovered today the reason I can't excercise like everyone else is my resting heart rate is crazy high. It seams it's the cymbalta.

My husbands very nervous of me lowering the dose. We are very scared of suicidal thoughts.

If I start with 2 beads a day will I still get withdrawal effects. I already know I'm sensitive to withdrawals?

I can't believe I found this forum

Thank you for any advice any one has

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 11 April 2017 - 06:09 PM

Welcome Snowangel

(Personally I hate snow but I love that name, lol). First of all, how many beads in your capsule? We usually say no more than 1% drop a day which is usually 2 to 3 beads a day but the slower you go the easier it will be. Some have had to do a little as 1 bead every other day. Time and patience. I once read a research article comparing the withdrawal of Cymbalta to other ssri and snri. Cymbalta withdrawal was rated second followed by Paxil and then Effexor right behind. Your concern about the suicidal thoughts is legitimate. There is indeed a significant risk of it but normally only for people who wean to fast. You will be fine. Your husband is welcome to join the sire as well and feel free to ask questions.

I would add that if you can handle alcohol withdrawal you are a strong person and we will help you get through this too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users