• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Hailsmarie

Hailsmarie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:30 AM

I wanted to give some good news to everyone out there experiencing withdrawal. After my other doctor recklessly thinking that I could just cold turkey 2 mg of Klonopin (I seriously experienced a 3 month long panic attack) I got an awesome mental health doctor. And we both decided together that I need to get off Cymbalta. Here is a little backstory: Got on Cymbalta 30 mg when I was 16 for depression/anxiety, went from 135 lbs to 200 lbs in three years, then went cold turkey off when I was 19 and couldn't afford it (with insurance it was still like $78 a month), for me I actually didn't have a bad withdrawal (I had brain zaps and headaches for about 4 days and was able to bounce back fairly quickly), within 6 months I weighed 145 lbs without really working out (I was the summer so I was more active but not like Olympic athlete active), met my husband at age 20 and got married (I love him bunches, he is my support buddy and best friend), when I turned 21 I got back on Cymbalta due to anxiety (again only 30 mg once daily) and now fast forward to now, I am 25, still have anxiety and weigh 220 lbs. It was time to say goodbye​ and break up with this horrible medicine for good! So this new doctor and I decided to try a different SSRI instead of my original plan of just weaning off Cymbalta using the ball counting method because my body is still trying to heal from the damage of doing a cold turkey off a benzo. So I started taking Trintellix (I think that's how you spell it). I have been on it for a week and of course, my doctor warned me of the brain zaps of doom, but gave me this amazing piece of information. She has switched many people off of Cymbalta and the one thing she has found that works to get rid of brain zaps is Tylenol Cold and Flu. On day 2 of being on the Trintellix, I woke up with the dreaded brain zaps. So I went down and bought some Tylenol Cold and Flu. And I am completely serious when I say it took them away. I had no more brain zaps or dizziness! And now, 5 days later, I don't take the meds anymore but I also am not getting brain zapped. I hope this helps someone because it really helped me. And I hope everyone will heal and we can all put this behind us.

#2 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:11 AM

Welcome Hailsmarie!

Thank you so much for your post - I hope that it helps others as well...

I have been off the poison for about 3 1/2 yrs but made the mistake of going cold turkey off of 60mg - what a hell of a year that was!

I was so happy to find this forum as it helped me immensely!  You are so fortunate to have a doc that knows what's going on with this withdrawal - they are rare!

I hope that you will continue to keep us updated - we are always here for you!

Liz

#3 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:11 PM

Excellent info Hailsmarie,

We have had at least two other members have good luck with Tylenol but in a different product. I think I am beginning to see a pattern. lol

#4 Hailsmarie

Hailsmarie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:27 PM

Thank goodness! I was so excited when it worked for me that I found this website and only signed up just so I could post that to make sure people knew that there at least a little silver lining to this otherwise nasty ordeal.

#5 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:26 PM

Hailsmarie, thank you so much for this info. I had never heard of this for brain zaps. Again, many thanks!

#6 coastgirl

coastgirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:12 PM

Hey I made an account JUST so I could post here and say:

THIS WORKS.

I found this out somewhat accidentally last year when stopping Prozac.  At the time I didn't know WHY I was getting this bizarre dizzy feeling (my brain zaps don't quite feel like zaps, more like I'm in a dropping elevator every time I turn my head).  I am honestly quite surprised that NONE of my docs at the time clued in that these might have been due to coming off an SSRI as brain zaps aren't a secret withrdawal symptom.

ANYWAY long story short I thought it was a problem with my ears being clogged from a flight, and took some Mucinex (the kind with actual sudafed you have to get from behind the counter).  Stopped the brain zaps, so I thought it WAS my ears.

Now that I'm coming off Cymbalta due to sexual side effects the brain zaps are BACK and I finally realized that they're being caused by going off SSRIs.  So, I'm about to pop some sudafed.

PS I'm pretty sure it's the actual Sudafed in the products, not anything to do with tylenol.  I could be wrong though....however Mucinex D has no tylenol or pain meds, so it would be interesting to see what the common ingredient is.

#7 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:48 PM

I will check it out later. That is great info and let us know how the Sudafed works out.

#8 SeanT

SeanT

• Site Supporter
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:50 PM

I have not tried sudafed, however, I got these recommnded supplements a few weeks ago and  brains zaps went away and have stayed away since the first dose.  truly a miracle, at least for me.  http://www.theroadba...withdrawal.aspx

#9 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:50 PM

Mucinex D

Mucinex D extended release tablets contain a combination of guaifenesin and pseudoephedrine. Guaifenesin is an expectorant. It helps loosen congestion in your chest and throat, making it easier to cough out through your mouth.

Pseudoephedrine is a decongestant that shrinks blood vessels in the nasal passages. Dilated blood vessels can cause nasal congestion (stuffy nose).

Mucinex D tablets are used to treat nasal and sinus congestion. Mucinex D also is used to reduce chest congestion caused by the common cold, infections, or allergies.

•Guaifenesin: Guaifenesin reduces the adhesiveness and surface tension of respiratory tract secretions, thereby easing their expectoration. The expectorant effect can reduce cough frequency. The increased flow of less viscous secretions promotes ciliary action and changes a dry, nonproductive cough to one that is more productive and less frequent. Guaifenesin loosens and thins phlegm and bronchial secretions to ease expectoration. By reducing the viscosity and adhesiveness of secretions, guaifenesin increases the efficacy of the mucociliary mechanism in removing accumulated secretions from the upper and lower airway. Guaifenesin can also be beneficial for irritating, nonproductive coughs and for conditions in which thick mucous secretions are produced.

•Pseudoephedrine: Pseudoephedrine is an agonist at both alpha- and, to a lesser degree, beta-adrenergic receptors. Like ephedrine, pseudoephedrine also has an indirect effect by releasing norepinephrine from its storage sites. By stimulating alpha-adrenergic receptors in the mucosa of the respiratory tract, pseudoephedrine shrinks swollen nasal mucous membranes; reduces tissue hyperemia, edema, and nasal congestion; and increases nasal airway patency. Also, drainage of sinus secretions is increased, and obstructed eustachian ostia may be opened. Oral administration of pseudoephedrine usually produces negligible effects on blood pressure. In some patients, especially those with preexisting cardiac disease receiving higher doses, pseudoephedrine may increase blood pressure or irritability of the heart muscle and may affect ventricular conduction.

Sudafed

Pseudoephedrine is a decongestant that shrinks blood vessels in the nasal passages. Dilated blood vessels can cause nasal congestion (stuffy nose).
Pseudoephedrine is used to treat nasal and sinus congestion, or congestion of the tubes that drain fluid from your inner ears, called the eustachian (yoo-STAY-shun) tubes.

Caution - In some people Pseudoephedrine can cause severe anxiety.

#10 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 24 May 2017 - 03:56 PM

Welcome coastgirl and Sean T !

So happy that you have found something that helps - I could have used that info about 3 1/2 yrs ago!

Just an FYI - The Road Back is put out by the Church of Scientology, if it matters to you

#11 coastgirl

coastgirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:09 PM

Oh damn!

Yep, sure enough Mucinex D stopped my zaps yesterday.  Didn't take it this morning and they're back.  Annoying!!!!

Also feel a bit nauseous and headachy :(

#12 coastgirl

coastgirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 11:43 PM

Just wanna say I ran out of Mucinex D and got Advil Cold And Flu (behind the counter with pseudophedrine) and it also works to combat the brain zaps for me.  My vertigo and zaps are 98% gone.  Not perfect but I don't feel like I'm hungover on a ship in a hurricane anymore.  I got the Advil b/c it's a lower dose than the Mucinex D and only 6 hours I believe (Mucinex D is 12).

#13 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 26 May 2017 - 08:18 AM

Great info Coastgirl. I will add it to my database I keep so we can pass it on to others in the future. Tx

#14 coastgirl

coastgirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 04:43 PM

I should ammend my post after reading a few other posts that I seem to have atypical brain zaps.  They are more like whooshes/elevator drop sensations every time I move my head or eyes or move suddenly.

Hence why I thought this problem last year was related to my ears.  A random doctor thought I had some nystagmus and diagnosed me with labyrinthitis.  He didn't connect this with the Prozac I had taken.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users