3 replies to this topic

#1 loulzb

loulzb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 11:26 PM

Hi everyone, 

Has anyone gone from taking Cymbalta to Prozac. It's been one hell of a journey and I'm dealing with a lot regarding my health. (here's my first post if anyone's interested in reading it: https://www.cymbalta...advice-please/)

Anyways, after going back on Cymbalta, I struggled with finding a way to reduce my pills. The bead count was just not working for me. After a whole bunch of failed attempts, I kinda gave up on the idea. I spoke to my GP and he managed to get me 20mg of cymbalta. So I started taking that for about 2 months. Last week I started taking the 20mg of cymbalta on one day and 10mg of Prozac the next day. I have about 2 more weeks of doing that before running out of cymbalta and then I'll be on Prozac 10mg every day. After that, he said that once my body gets used to the prozac, he'll start weening me off of that. My question is, has anyone tried this method before? Does it work? I feel like my doctors keep letting me down and I end up having to start all over again and the anxiety and depression get the best out of me. Any advice regarding this method is greatly appreciated. 

So far, I get these horrible hot flashes and I'm sweaty pretty much all day. I thought it was my hashimotos acting up but my levels seem fine. My fatigue is pretty bad but my mood swings are very hit and miss; when it's bad, it's BAD! I randomly get panic attacks sometimes and just feel helpless and hopeless; pretty much just get overwhelmed really quickly. I'm just hoping that this method works so that I can be done with all anti-depressants and never take this poison again! 

- L 

#2 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 22 May 2017 - 11:37 PM

loulzb

i have no experience cross tapering from the C to prozac, but others have, some with good results. i suspect you'll hear more tomorrow (later today?) with more input. fishing hat knows a lot. 

#3 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:12 AM

Hi Lou,

Many have cross tapered to Prozac, but really not this way.

10mg Prozac is real low and it's ok when taken at the same time as the C.

I would stay on the 20 cymbalta for a while with the 10 Prozac at least for the time that Prozac kicks in.

Then bead count the 20 cymbalta. My opinion here. Fishinghat should be here today.

#4 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:28 AM

I sort of agree with Gail. From what I have read from other members in the past is that the dose of Prozac he put you on is about right but the cross over seems strange. Normally they put you on the Prozac every day with the Cymbalta (at that low dose it shouldn't be a problem) and then phase you off the Cymbalta over about a 4 to 6 week period because it takes Prozac 6 to 8 weeks to fully kick in. Using the every other day approach it will take the Prozac longer to reach full strength. From the pdocs I have talked to though many have said it sometimes doesn't take much Prozac to help with the Cymbalta withdrawal and if it isn't enough they can always up the dose. With drs current approach I would expect you to have some symptoms but if they don't get too bad you should be alright.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users