#31 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 11 December 2021 - 07:24 AM

Very common during withdrawal. The problem is that anything you take to raise your metabolism and compensate for the fatigue will also increase any anxiety. As far as I know the only thing that helps is time. Sorry i can not help. Maybe someone else has a recommendation.

#32 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,215 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 14 December 2021 - 06:52 PM

Sorry for delay - and I know this very well. I was only on Cymbalta for 10 weeks before the withdrawal, but I did the fatigue and Christmas, and it lasted about 3-4 months!

There were times that I couldn't even walk down the stairs out my flat as I would never make it back up. Going out for a New Years walk, I fell over after about 400 yards. A stranger then helped my wife got me back home. 

There is no underestimating what this little sod of a pill can do. I switched back to Citalopram and that combined with waiting and some remedies from my homeopath got me through.

#33 forwardlooking

forwardlooking

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 January 2022 - 01:33 AM

Hi, I have been holding at 4mg (14 beads) for over one and a half months now but still feel strong withdrawal symptoms. In addition, I have been taking Prozac (5mg) in the past few months. I discussed the plan to fully stop the Duloxetine with my Dr.  The plan Dr. suggested was to increase Prozac to 10 mg for a few days then entirely stop Duloxetine. However, I am very nervous about it. I wonder if I should drop to 2mg and at the same time increase Prozac to 7.5mg and stay there for a week. Then increasing Prozac to 10mg, and fully stop Duloxetine. I want to check in to see if there are any opinions on this plan.

Thanks so much!

#34 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 29 January 2022 - 09:42 AM

Hi forwardlooking

All I can say is that there is no clearcut answer to this question. Going on a new antidepressant to help with Cymbalta withdrawal is a matter of a flip of a coin. I went on 6 different meds (one at a time) to help with my Cymbalta withdrawal before finding one to help. Others find one on the first shot. If the 5 mg of Prozac has not helped much then going to 10 mg may not be that beneficial. Also Prozac takes around 8 weeks to fully kick in so going on it for "a few days" would probably provide little benefit and therefore stopping the Cymbalta would be risking considerably more withdrawal symptoms.

Now, having said that there are a few members who have had success with such a plan but very few.  Have you felt any improvement during those last 1 and a half months on 4 mg? Most members say it takes them anywhere from 6 to 8 months to stabilize once they get to a situation like the one you are in. There are no studies on what is going on in the body during these withdrawals and no studies on success of various "treatment" efforts by drs. This simply makes it an educated guess scenario. I can say that the best long-term success by members is a wait until it improves approach and then start weaning again but that requires great patience.

Have you tried any of the supplements mentioned in the ebook?

#35 forwardlooking

forwardlooking

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 January 2022 - 02:02 AM

Thanks fishinghat!  To understand your point about 6 to 8 months to stabilize, do you mean even for the taper dose, it might take that long to stabilize?  If that's the case, it sounds it would take forever to finish the taper.  I don't feel better after 1 and a half months.  In face the last couple weeks was worse than before.

Related supplements, I am taking fish oil daily and sometimes also B and D.  I also tried several other supplements. However, I don't see any noticeable improvement with supplements.  

#36 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,215 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 30 January 2022 - 07:41 AM

going on it for "a few days" would probably provide little benefit and therefore stopping the Cymbalta would be risking considerably more withdrawal symptoms.

That is exactly where my thoughts went when I read your message forwardlooking. Hat is spot on - as he generally is!

A gradated cross-taper withdrawal will take time - a long time. It may well be the start-up effects of the Prozac that are causing this. In fact I have just replied to another member who has been on Prozac for over 4 weeks and still having issues. If the symptoms remain and do not change, then this is potentially a cause for concern and invites a change. Although Prozac is generally well tolerated, it is not a one size fits all.

If things have gotten worse from week 4 to week 6 then I would consider this good enough reason to reconsider the options. But again, if they are new symptoms that have arisen, try to bear with it just a few days as it is not entirely uncommon for new symptoms to pop up even towards the end of the breaking in period for antidepressants. 

My advice would be, again as Hat said, consider some non-allopathic options as suggested in the eBook. It is surprising how these can really help - and often there is far less risk of negative symptoms occuring. At worst, they simply "do nothing". You have a lot of options and most do not have a period to wait. Depending on your exact symptoms at present there is Suntheanine, KSM-66 Ashwaghandha, Kratom (if you are not subject to addiction). If you would like to discuss what options there are, please detail how you are feeling and Hat and myself will sure help you with the most suitable things to try based on our own experience and that which we have gleaned from our years on the forum.

Take care my friend, and enjoy the rest of your weekend.

IUN

#37 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 30 January 2022 - 08:35 AM

If I had it to do over I would do a 3 year taper.  Yes, it can take a long time unluckily.

#38 forwardlooking

forwardlooking

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 February 2022 - 01:23 AM

I have already tapered for close to 3 years. It has been very painful no matter how small the taper dose or how long staying at each taper. I want to get it done now. I will re-try KSM-66. Thanks for the suggestion. Do you have any supplement suggestions after entirely stopping the med or just continue with the above supplements suggestion?

#39 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 03 February 2022 - 08:20 AM

You might look through our free ebook...

https://pdfhost.io/v...of_Contents.pdf

It contains information on the things members have tried over the years and their successes and failures as well as diet tips, medical research and much more.

#40 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,215 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 04 February 2022 - 07:14 AM

I have already tapered for close to 3 years. It has been very painful no matter how small the taper dose or how long staying at each taper. I want to get it done now. I will re-try KSM-66. Thanks for the suggestion. Do you have any supplement suggestions after entirely stopping the med or just continue with the above supplements suggestion?

It really depends on what symptoms you have when you stop as each supplement will offer different benefits. Take solace in knowing that there are plenty of things out there that will help you if and when this happens. And please let us know what you are feeling so that we might be able to help you choose the right supplement for your circumstances. Take it easy, keep it slow. And a massive congratulations for sticking with it for 3 years. That really is something else entire.

Well done.

#41 forwardlooking

forwardlooking

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 March 2022 - 10:58 PM

Hi, I have been entirely off Duloxetine for 4 weeks now and am still on 5mg Prozac. It's been a tough month. At this point, my appetite has been improved but other symptoms (headache, dizziness, tummy hurts) still remain and pretty bad. I cannot focus at all, which really bothers me. A noticeable change is that from a more consistent depression before to now I have a lot of up and down throughout the day. When I am 'up', I don't feel depressed. When I am 'down', my depression is even worse than before. I wonder if there is an explanation of this or it is just part of withdrawal or depression relapse. Any thoughts?

#42 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 20 March 2022 - 07:25 AM

Your body is trying to regain control of your neurotransmitters now that the body is no longer under the effects of the medication. This can be a slow process BUT it will slowly balance out. 

You have done a fine job with this situation. Just set back and let your body heal.

#43 forwardlooking

forwardlooking

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 March 2022 - 01:13 AM

In the past few days, I felt stabbing pains.  I didn't have any injury recently.  I wonder if this ever was reported by anyone as a part of withdrawal or I may have something else going on.  I will go to see a Dr. tomorrow and check here first for any advice!  Thanks!

#44 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 24 March 2022 - 08:06 AM

Pain issues are common including stabbing pains. Cymbalta has pain control properties and is often used for pain control like neuropathy. When weaning it makes one susceptible to what is called rebound pain. Not unusual.

#45 forwardlooking

forwardlooking

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 March 2022 - 10:50 PM

Hi fishinghat, thanks for your prompt reply. I didn't have any pain history before starting Duloxetine. So I want to double-check that it is still common to feel this strong pain now as part of withdrawal, right?

#46 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 25 March 2022 - 07:33 AM

Right. The sudden lack of Cymbalta in your system tends to leave your nerves hypersensitive. However, as I am not a doctor it would certainly not hurt to have a doctor check you out. 

#47 forwardlooking

forwardlooking

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 March 2022 - 11:30 PM

Thanks so much Fishinghat!  I talked to Dr. and she said it could be related and we will do some blood work to check it up.

In addition, I found this article: 10 Best Supplements For Antidepressant Withdrawal - Mental Health Daily

It mentioned activated charcoal to clear your body of potential drug-related toxins.  I wonder if I can take it now since I already stopped Duloxetine or I should still wait as I am still taking 5mg of Prozac?

#48 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 27 March 2022 - 08:01 AM

From the ebook...

Activated Charcoal Capsules
"Pharmacokinetic results from drug interaction studies show that activated charcoal decreases duloxetine exposure" (absorbtion)

Jillybean - Activated charcoal capsules- (Solaray brand name 280 mg I take 3 capsules twice a day. Lots of water or fluids, it is highly absorbable so it needs to be taken 2 hrs b4 or after other meds, vits etc. It helps to pull the poison from yours system. It may cause diarrhea or constipation hence another reason to boost fluids. Even though diarrhea is uncomfortable, do not take something to stop it as it is necessary to flush this poison out of your system. You can adjust amount based on how you feel.

Jillybean - I think the activated charcoal is working too as I am feeling better.

DonMH - One of the most harmless remedies for the stomach problems is capsules of Activated Charcoal. You can buy them over the counter. They are often used in overdose patients to prevent the absorption of ingested drugs. Completely natural and harmless - only side effect -your poop will turn black as the charcoal passes through your body. It works - I know!

FH - After reviewing the medical journal abstracts I found many research articles that looked at testing if activated charcoal would remove toxins from our body. None of the research showed beneficial effects. Caution - They are however very effective at absorbing (thus reducing) medicines and nutrients in the stomach. 

Side effects can include 
  • diarrhea
  • constipation
  • vomiting
  • abdominal pain
  • abdominal swelling

#49 forwardlooking

forwardlooking

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 June 2022 - 11:36 PM

Hi, I have been off the medicine for three and half months now. My physical symptoms have reduced quite a bit. However, my anxiety and depression have been very bad, and I didn't see any improvement signal. So I wonder if I should still hope they will get better with time or expect those are the depression relapse. I know everyone is different and puzzling...

#50 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,215 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 05 June 2022 - 05:59 AM

You wrote back in March that the depression and anxiety were less up and down and more consistent. Is that still the same, or has it changed?

I would expect there to be some flux even at this point in the recovery as your neurochemistry tries to get balanced out. This in itself can change according to personal circumstances as well, so don't write off anything that may have potentially happened that may have influenced these changes. 

One becomes very vulnerable, thus susceptible, to these things when you have stopped taking the meds so you need to try your best to avoid stressful and upsetting situations as your brain ins't totally tooled up to deal with them in its present state

IUN 

#51 Lolitawew

Lolitawew

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 July 2023 - 03:41 AM

Is Cymbalta withdrawal a hidden conspiracy orchestrated by pharmaceutical companies to keep patients dependent on the drug?

Slightly off topic :)

[ CONTENT REMOVED BY ADMIN ]

#52 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,215 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 21 July 2023 - 03:13 PM

Lolita,

We do not permit the content that you posted, so I have removed this part of your message.

There are a lot of theories about Eli Lilly who manufacture Cymbalta and their ethics about how their business started with Prozac. 

Dependence on ANY drug could be considered a "conspiracy", but the truth of the matter is that being dependant on a drug is always a possibility and it is the job of the medical professional to tell the patient offered the drug of the risks involved.

Unfortunately, most doctors do not explain the risks involved.

But it brings money into the governments around the world and I feel they should do a lot more to warn people of the risks.

The drug that kills more people than anything else (including pills, vaping, smoking) is ethanol... or alcohol. But there are no warnings on the bottle to state that it is a highly addictive substance, or that it can lead to liver failure, heart attack, stroke etc. So I would say it is not so much of a conspiracy as those involved in the drug chain being unethical. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users