• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 libbyloo

libbyloo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • why_joining:
    i have been on cymbalta for 6 weeks and hate it, told doc wanted off who talked me in to staying on. he isnt in til tuesday and today is the second day i have gone without, i just cannot take this stuff.

Posted 02 October 2009 - 07:39 PM

hi, today is my second day off. i have been taking 60 mg for 6 weeks. pharmacist informs me it will take approx. 6 weeks for it to 'kick in'. i refuse to take this poison any more. just over a week ago i had suicidal idealisations and uncontrollable crying episodes. i have not had them since. i also at this time had a viral flu. i have been to a naturapath and am now taking a herbal supplement. i told doc wednesday just gone i no longer wanted to take this cymbalta, i detested it and it wasnt treating my depression properly. he encouraged me to stay on it as it wouldnt have quite reached its optimum purpose. i called yesterday and he is away until tuesday, i spoke to nurse who consulted another doc who said to ring back tuesday???????????? i am horrified that this drug is prescribed without informing patient of the relevant information around this drug. i am open to any suggestions. has anybody been on it for short period and successfully gone cold turkey without any major episodes of withdrawing.

#2 Houdi

Houdi

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • why_joining:
    I have been a member that you have knock off 3 times. I have withdrawn from Cymbalta and supported forum members that are in withdrawal. Find my old posts. I have pleaded with you to clean up this forum, and my thanks is you erasing me....three times! Thanks a lot! I come back here to pay forward what others did for me. You are quite disrespectful to the members of your forum that support others while you let the spammers take over! Shame on you after you started this for a good reason. Is it money now?

Posted 02 October 2009 - 08:05 PM

Hi libbyloo:

I posted the following reply to you on your post from earlier. It may not answer all your questions, as I just don't know if you will have an issue...I'm so sorry.....

Dear libbyloo:

Welcome to the forum. I am sorry that you have to be here. We cannot give you medical advice, as we are not physicians. We will give you our stories; successful forays into withdrawal and our mistakes. From there, you are going to have to make your own choice, what you think will work best for you. And you should always consult with that illusive MD of yours. :) Ring up on Tuesday...well, that's helpful, huh??? I'm sorry.

First of all, from stories told here, the severity of Cymbalta withdrawal doesn't correspond to the amount of time with the drug. You may very well get off this drug without much of an issue. I think you are wise to be very concerned about your experiences of suicidal thoughts. You must be very careful, and if you feel that you will hurt yourself, please call for help immediately.

Are you taking Cymbalta now? I know you were at 60 mgs. And your MD talked you into staying on the medication. And you say this is your second day off, but then there is a discussion with the pharmacist telling you it will take 6 weeks to be effective. So are you completely off? Are you having any withdrawal symptoms if you are off totally? Or are you cutting down on the dose? I'm sorry, so many questions. Last question, what do you want to do?

Hope to hear from you soon....Houdi

#3 libbyloo

libbyloo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • why_joining:
    i have been on cymbalta for 6 weeks and hate it, told doc wanted off who talked me in to staying on. he isnt in til tuesday and today is the second day i have gone without, i just cannot take this stuff.

Posted 02 October 2009 - 08:26 PM

hi houdi, this is my second day totally off, cold turkey. i rang pharmacist before who recommended that i dont cold turkey with it. but i cannot bear the thought of taking another one of those things, it horrifies me. i have great supports in place with close friends who are aware of my situation. i wont hurt myself even though the thoughts have arisen. i dont feel too bad. I have some valium to calm me if i get a bit anxious and i have some herbal medicine as well. I think my determination, insight and ability to seek assistance will help me through this. as stated earlier the only thing that does give me the heebie jeebies is the 6th day that others have had experienced awful things. i am prepared to collapse in a heap and rebuild myself if that is what is needed to get off this drug. thank you and if there is anything else you may offer please continue to contact me. thanks again. i will keep in touch with my progress.

#4 barney59

barney59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • why_joining:
    I have been on Cymbalta for several years and my doctor started weening me off 3 wks ago. I am now having symptoms that I don't understand

Posted 02 October 2009 - 08:43 PM

libbyloo

Although I cannot and will not tell you what to do, I hope you would reconsider the cold turkey stop, especially since it is only day 2. I was weaned off over 3 week period (way too fast my doc now knows). Im day 14 (I think...confusion still w/me) since last dose. From everything I have read on these posts, and also learned from docs that this is one drug to really ease off of. Had I not already been on day 6 off when I saw my doctor, I may have followed his suggestion and gone back on so as to reduce more slowly. I also didn't think I would still be in such bad withdrawals after 2 weeks. I have had no let up in the symptoms. As others have stated before, everyone is different on how they will react, so maybe this will work for you. I really hope it does. We all do!

B

#5 Houdi

Houdi

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • why_joining:
    I have been a member that you have knock off 3 times. I have withdrawn from Cymbalta and supported forum members that are in withdrawal. Find my old posts. I have pleaded with you to clean up this forum, and my thanks is you erasing me....three times! Thanks a lot! I come back here to pay forward what others did for me. You are quite disrespectful to the members of your forum that support others while you let the spammers take over! Shame on you after you started this for a good reason. Is it money now?

Posted 02 October 2009 - 08:49 PM

libbyloo:

I posted this to terrigirl on another thread, but the same applies to you IF you start getting withdrawal symptoms. I love hearing that you have a tight network of supporters close at hand. Of course, you have the full force of the members of this forum too. Valium will help with the sleep, but as you know, it is really addictive. So be careful with it. Remember, you may not be a 'heap' withdrawal person. It may not be pleasant, but maybe no 'heaping'!!! I'm hoping :) no heaping...ok, that's just too much fun to type. Sorry.

Because I am so far 'out' from withdrawal, I forget some things until forum members bring up symptoms they are having. So please post what you are feeling, and I will see if I can dredge up any of the coping methods I used or others used that were withdrawing when I was going through this.

Benadryl helped me with the sinus pain, sleeping issues, and dizziness. I could only take it at night 'cuz it makes me sleepy. And I could only take one. Some people take something called bonine...kind of the same type of otc drug.
Dramamine helped me with the dizziness.
Ibuprofen and tylenol for general overall pain...body aches, headaches, muscle aches....etc.
Ginger root - I made a tea out of real ginger shedded and seeped into a tea. Helped with tummy issues and it is supposed to be really good for us.
Imodium - for diarrhea
Omega 3 - good for us withdrawing from antidepressants. Supposed to be good for us for other things too.
Potassium/magnesium supplements - natural muscle relaxants
I did add St John's wort, but not until I was really sure I was clear of any anti depressant in my system.
Lots of water and otc gerd medication, like pepcid, cuz I was so nauseous and couldn't always get to my ginger root tea. Someone else said peppermints are really good for nausea too.

Hope some of this helps you and I hope you are one of the really lucky ones that gets through this very easily. That'd be the best story I could read here from you.

Post often and let us know what is happening with you......Houdi

#6 libbyloo

libbyloo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 02 October 2009 - 11:49 PM

the more i read the more i am shocked that this drug is prescribed to anyone. i am feeling a little woozy but not too bad, early days i am sure. i am having acupuncture tuesday and have discussed with the naturapath what i am doing. your support is wonderful, because you have been there and i am so grateful that i have this to help me through. houdi could you tell me more about day 6. i am a little concerned but am prepared to ride it out. i am aware of the valium which i have had laying around for ages and am determined to not rely on it but use it to ride the storm, of course if and when the storm hits. i hope it doesnt but if it does then i think it better that i have them. please keep in touch i am in australia thanks bye for now

#7 Houdi

Houdi

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 03 October 2009 - 08:20 AM

lillyloo:

Honey, you may not have a 'day 6'....but you know that. For me, it seemed I got most of my withdrawal symptoms by like day 8. But I started 'googling' how I felt about day 4 'cuz I thought I was going nuts. And for me, I wasn't bed ridden and incapacitated from most activity. The 'brain zaps' drove me to distraction. But I found some otc medication that helped. I would lay down from time to time and cover my eyes with something to 'reset' my brain. I tried to alleviate loud noises, couldn't watch tv (too much eye movement), not a lot of computer work, and def no multi tasking. And no real confrontations. I didn't drive for a while either. Symptoms came and went. Some blossomed while others retreated, then they would show back up again...damn! Yes, I'd have a day here or there that I just didn't want to face the world, it was just too much. How much of a brave face can one put on somedays? But, I was able to get the 'have to' things done for the day, just not everything I had let pile up. Then I got much more energy and the ability to get things done I had put off since I started Cymbalta. It was thrilling! With that new focus, I could really push through the withdrawal symptoms. It was empowering. Then I'd have a set back day, and omg...I took it hard mentally. I didn't know it could happen. Phew, I was a puddle of emotional brown dung and had to pull myself together and figure out set backs do happen. And the good days came back again eventually.

Oh I ramble...sorry. The point being, just take this one day at a time. You will be just perfect...'cuz you are you! And it will be what it will be and you'll deal with it. Sure, you'll need some help from that great support system of yours. But that will happen if you are withdrawing from cymbalta or not...right? You are to say 'right'! Don't sit around and wait for a certain day or withdrawal symptom. Try using this thread to journal how you feel for each day. Not just physically, but mentally. You will have documentation of how far you've come and how well you've done it. Right now you are a little scared of the unknown. So, today just deal with what is in your day today. If you are a little woozy...ok...not bad...check. It's a good day.

Sleep well libbyloo....Houdi

#8 libbyloo

libbyloo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 03 October 2009 - 08:32 AM

thanks houdi, all i can do is take one day at a time, and remain positive, i am off to bed now and tomorrow is another day and i am very thankful to have this forum as a 'hand holding buddy' who will help me walk through this. i will remain positive and draw on my supports if necessary. i am a little nervous but time will tell. good night and hope you all have a great day.

#9 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 03 October 2009 - 04:59 PM

Hi libbyloo,

hope you're feeling better.

Whereabouts in Australia are you?

I'm in Melbourne,

regards, Maureen.

#10 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am reallly trying to get off Cymbalta, and not having, well I am having nightmares even with the decreased does, and clanging in my head.

I just found this site, and I really need help, I can't do this, I fear I willl never get off this brutal medication.

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 04 October 2009 - 01:15 PM

Libby,
Hi I was a say 6 person, but always remember everyone is different!!!! This is only
my experience. What happpened was by then I started to have nightmares, and my
sleep was really disturbed. It was as if I was awake, but not really, so hard to explain.

I also felt depersonalization, my skin was coming off in sheets, just on my shins, and
top of my feet, severe constipation worse than before while on it, urinating trouble.
So many things.

Here is my favorite site to give out it has all the withdrawl symptoms, and was so helpful
for me

http://prozactruth.com/cymbalta.htm

I still have bad withdrawls with each decreas, but just for the first couple of days, and then
I am much better. I am feeling so much more alive, and capable of doing things that I could
not do for the entire time I was on the durg. Did you know they call it "The Slug Drug"?

I do hope you find a way that works for you, and stay in the now. I had such a hard time with
that, and still do at time when I think about the next decreas, but then I just know it's the
stupid drug talking.

You can do this, we are all here to help!

Debbie

#11 libbyloo

libbyloo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 05 October 2009 - 01:36 AM

hi, my fourth day completely free of the cymbalta is coming to a close. i had a terrible night sleep last night but i think that was caused by other things such as the death a friends father and daylight saving time change. i havent had any major withdrawal symptoms as yet, although today my body is aching and i am lethargic but i attribute that to a relapse of the flu i am still trying to shake. could well be a combination of both. i also believe that because i had only spent 6 weeks on the drug there wasnt a huge build up of it in my system when i decided to go cold turkey. so far so good. i honestly believe that i will get through this without any major scathing withdrawals, well at least i have my fingers crossed. anyway just to let you all know I am travelling better than i had anticipated. I will continue to post my progress and please feel free to respond to my posts. this forum is the best thing i believe that has given me the mental strength to cope; i am not in this alone. tonight i am sure i will sleep well. stay tuned and keep faith.

#12 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 05 October 2009 - 01:44 AM

Hi Libbyloo,

I was blaming the daylight saving change for my lethargic mood this morning too.

It had absolutely nothing to do with the champagne I drank last night. :))

Hope the good reports keep coming.

Maureen.

#13 libbyloo

libbyloo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 05 October 2009 - 03:48 AM

hi maureen
now where would we be without the likes of champagne, and what a wonderful excuse daylight savings appears to be for the lethargy we have experienced today. yes i am pretty happy with my progress and am less afraid of 'falling over' ( or as i call it 'falling off my perch') as each day passes. i will continue to post until i am not sure, if i get through this well then i think if i keep in touch with this forum then i can be a positive support for others journey. early days yet but sailing ok. dont let the french see you calling it champagne either or you might get into strife (tongue firmly planted in cheek). another thing i have found my sense of humour has returned. adios for now all, i am hungry and must dine. :)

#14 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 05 October 2009 - 05:01 AM

And how do you know it wasn't Veuve Cliquot??? :))))

Oh I see - my reputation travels before me - yes, it was Yellowglen. On special at Woolworths - $16 for two. (so of course I bought two, didn't I?)

maureen.

#15 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am reallly trying to get off Cymbalta, and not having, well I am having nightmares even with the decreased does, and clanging in my head.

I just found this site, and I really need help, I can't do this, I fear I willl never get off this brutal medication.

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 05 October 2009 - 05:42 PM

Glad you not having any withdrawl symptoms. Good for you, and I do hope your
one that does to have any either.

The length of time on the drug makes no difference if a person wil get withdrawls or
not from what I have found out, not only here, but in other form's , and information I
have been gathering.

Just in case you do get them please don't think that your a failure if you have to start
taking it again, and wean yourself off slowly. The brain has become addicted to it, it
has nothing to do with willpower.

I wish you continued support.

Oh I know, I am in the US, Long Beach Calif. When do you guys change your clocks there?
We havn't done so as yet? OOPs , wellll I don't think we have,lol.

Debbie

#16 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 05 October 2009 - 05:46 PM

Maurene,
Don't tell me you all have woolsworth there in Aus.! !
I havn't heard that since I was a kid! Wow I used to
go there all the time, just loved the place.

So your having day light saving already where you
are, and now you two have me wondering if I have
forgotten to turn my clock back!!!

Dazed and confused(can't spell, or type)
Debbie

#17 libbyloo

libbyloo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 05 October 2009 - 06:07 PM

hi debbie thank you for your support, i am having minor withdrawal symptoms as i keep reminding myself that they are minor in comparison to what i have read about. i will get through this and for the life of me there is no way on this earth that i would ever take another one of those hideous pills.that is why i went cold turkey and was prepared for the barrage of doing so rather than continue to poison my system. in fact i am opting for natural remedies and counselling to cure my depression which is a result of child hood trauma. i am still amazed after what i have encountered and read that this medicine is prescribed. my withdrawals are only slight giddiness and nauseousness but manageable all the same. at present it is 10.03 am here in Australia, victoria at least. i look forward to keeping everyone up to date and hopefully hope. cold turkey is by far the best decision i have made. and as for the docs well?!!!! i am prepared for a rocky road but my guts and determination to put this to rest forever is what i will cling to in my no doubt times of desperation. lets make this world a cymbalta free one.

#18 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am a sufferer of depression and GAD.

Posted 06 October 2009 - 03:46 AM

Ahhhh. Another Victorian. Excellent :) Are you in Melbourne, perchance?

I am sorry to inform you that I suffered bad withdrawals despite only being on Cymbalta for 19 days (60mg). I had severe upper abdo pain, among other things. I hope you don't go through what I went through but be prepared. I was ok for the first 3 days. The upper abdo pain hit on Day 4.

Welcome to the board
Junior

#19 libbyloo

libbyloo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 08 October 2009 - 03:58 AM

hi, today i have been 7 days cold turkey free of cymbalta (detest the sound of that word), withdrawals are manageable but the vertigo does my head in rather. does anyone know how long before it is completely removed from your system? i so look forward to that day. the last 3 days have been the worse but as mentioned manageable. if anyone knows the timeframe that i can look forward to being completely free of it bearing in mind of course it will vary in individual cases. hope all are going great. libbyloo

#20 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 08 October 2009 - 11:27 AM

libylou,
I would first of all say that one sould never stop any medication cold turkey, and with Cymbalts all the more so.
I have been decreasing since Aug 31 from 60 mg x's 3 years, and it still is the hardest thing I HAVE EVER DONE.

My withsrawl symptoms didn't hit until the 6 th day, and yes we are all different, but have yet to find anyone who
has come here that does it cold turkey without it being the most brutal of brutals.

It is hard enough to just decrease it slowly for so many of us, and sometimes when we do we even have to go back
and add a few beads to get the right adjustment so the withdrawls are tolerable.

Everyone has to find their own method of getting off this crap, and even if you end up having to go back on it, and
do a slow wean, your not a failure, it just that this drug has made your brain addicted to it. That why all the horrible
withdrawl symptoms.

Here's the site so you can look at all of them, and know what's what http://prozactruth.com/cymbalta.htm

I wish you luck no matter how you do this. We are alll in the same boat either way, it's awful coming off this noxious
drug.

Debbie

#21 libbyloo

libbyloo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 08 October 2009 - 04:04 PM

hi debbie,

you know it still to this day amazes that this drug is available let alone prescribed. today is day 8 and last night i had my first decent night sleep. as opposed to waking every hour and getting up at 5 am. i slept in til 7.40 am this morning.delightful. the vertigo and nauseousness is very unpleasant but i have managed it to date without taking anything. i am just riding it out. they can put me in hospital for a month before i take another one of those insidious pills. must go now but will still be around. i am focussed on that light at the end of the tunnel. ok bye for now debbie, regards libblyloo.

#22 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 09 October 2009 - 01:20 PM

libbylou,
Glad you got some sleep finally! OMG that's one of the worst things about this crap.
I had been doing good up until about 3-4 days ago, and the bottom just dropped out again
for me. I get more of the mental stuff, and so tired. I was the same on the drug, so I
really get scared when it gets like this.

I also have some things going on with my finances, so that's got me in a dither, but I know
due to the withdrawls it's not making it any easier on me. I know this would be scary for anyone
but add all the withdralws, and what it does to the thinking process. I am just scared.

Talk to you later,
Debbie

#23 libbyloo

libbyloo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 09 October 2009 - 05:23 PM

hi debbie,

had the best night sleep i have had in a long time. i am more than pleased. i am sorry to hear about your situation. is it the drug talking perhaps? i dont know i just know that from my experience when i was on it, i was having irrational ridiculous thoughts, suicidial idealisations DEFINATELY NOT ME and uncontrollable crying. in fact i commented to a friend last night that i havent felt this alive in many years. also that everytime i popped a little 'happy pill' over my time it was a constant reminder as to why; i dont need a reminder particularly one in the form of a pill. also i think it just is a bandaid and a superficial remedy. also understand that it is necessary to take in times of getting through the worse periods of in my case depression. but now is my time to confront this with great determination and put it to rest forever. gee i also wonder whether i was as badly depressed as the doctor had me think. anyway i am taking alternative methods to my inner healing which i believe what all this is about. i like me, the real me. keep in touch and i look forward to the day soon where i experience absolutely no form of nausea and vertigo. bye for now libbyloo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users