• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 sunny123

sunny123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am quitting cymbalta cold turkey and I want to know if there is help or if there is someone I can visit with to make sure it is possible. I have been off of 120 mg for 3 days and so far okay, but I have tried before and failed.

Posted 02 October 2009 - 08:43 PM

I have been off for 3 days and feel alive for the first time in 6 or 7 years. So far no effects, but know they are coming since I've tried before. Anybody who has any ideas that can help, I'll be interested. I am 64 year old female and have had previous heart problems and taking meds for them. I also have COPD and working on quitting smoking. I'll probably be an idiot before I'm through but I'm determined this time. If I'm going to live, I want to be me not what I have been for the last few years. I feel like I've been in hibernation.

Please help if you know of anything that with help me with my goals.

#2 libbyloo

libbyloo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • why_joining:
    i have been on cymbalta for 6 weeks and hate it, told doc wanted off who talked me in to staying on. he isnt in til tuesday and today is the second day i have gone without, i just cannot take this stuff.

Posted 06 October 2009 - 03:20 PM

hi sunny today is my 6th day off and other than alot of vertigo i am doing ok. i am determined to never infect my body with such poison. you are right i would rather just be me. last 3 nights terrible sleep but i attribute that to something personal i am going through??????? who knows. anyway i am so gun ho to get through this. if i can give up fags cold turkey almost 2 years ago without even planning to then i know i have the will power and determination to do this. i am seeing an acupuncurist and counsellor for my post trauma stress as result of childhood events. i am fine and you will be too. that is all we can do is believe in ourselves and that we come out the other end unscathed. all the best sunny. regards libbyloo

#3 Scarlet

Scarlet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am presently withdrawing from Cymbalta and would appreciate hearing the experiences of others in my position.

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:32 AM

That's great, I'm glad you are taking this step and having a relatively positive experience coming off Cymbalta. I can definitely relate to wanting to be yourself, and to feeling as though in hibernation on the drug. I wish you all the very best.

#4 mysticcherokee

mysticcherokee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • why_joining:
    I tried to commit suicide obviously unsuccessfully, shortly beofre starting a New doctor taperd from this drug, (just jumped off) and Ive strong feelings about it.

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:13 AM

I too tapered from 120 mg, more or less. Id forget how many 60 mgs I'd taken and sometimes it was more/less. Bad Idea! The doctor that prescribed was not the one to taper me. The one that tapered me took me to 30mg from what Ive just descibed. He probably thought hed halved it, Im assuming, cause thats what Id written was my dose, in a letter to him, a sort of preamble. A profound typo on my part(fibrofog), and one that would cost me, dearly. We didnt communicate enough. BIG DEAL!!! Please take note of this!. The after affects are probably permanent. My brain still hurts and taper was cold turky as of two days before Labor Day, bout little more than a month. Please dont do this alone, or Cold Turkey from the onset of Tapering. Halve your doses the best way you know how for at LEAST a week. I got froggy and wanted this poison outta my system, thought I was dying. Another bad idea! I stopped after 30mg, for a week.
Dont eff with this medicine, it will take your brain out permanent like, Im thinkin, and I THOUGHT I was a tough bird. Well this TB is waiting to hear if there is early onset dementia. Not a presenting problem at ANY time, until after Cymbalta, and withdrawal. BOTH are bad. Please for the love of all thats good in this world, make it a point to find somebody who KNOWS HOW to taper you off, and COMMUNICATE EVERYTHING, dont be shy. Even if you hire this person for nothing BUT cymbalta taper, in the long run it'll be well worth it, its your body/brain, and ya only get one,be good to it please! Hugs! I dont know if Ill ever be able to multi-task again, much less the REST! Very weak, muscles have atrophied from long stay in the house the better part of 8 months. Since March AT LEAST, fibro pain and depression. Now they want me to exercise, Im feeling overwhelmed and frightened. Where do ya start with exercise, when youre as weak as a newborn kitten. ALL THIS YEAR! 50 year old female, and this is what Im left with. Please take heed! God forbid another is stricken with anything from this POISON! Hugs to ya! Mystic

#5 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 11 October 2009 - 03:38 PM

Okay, so now I'm debating the going cold turkey. I also gave up smoking cold turkey.

Not sure what to say except ouchies. Are you sure? Are you sure you're sure??

I might have to send over our new ginger and white tomcat (Archie, we've decided) to have this debate with you - he's very efficient with his claws. And he's BIG.

Sorry, I've lost track, what does are you currently taking?

regards, Maureen.

#6 mysticcherokee

mysticcherokee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • why_joining:
    I tried to commit suicide obviously unsuccessfully, shortly beofre starting a New doctor taperd from this drug, (just jumped off) and Ive strong feelings about it.

Posted 12 October 2009 - 07:17 AM

I play with the idea because I just want it to end. I counted out 110 grains today so I'm on about 47mg, I'm reducing it by 5 grains a day. Archie (nice name BTW) may have claws but I have claw clippers, so he may come back with short nails.

@ Mysticcherokee

Sometimes I just feel like going cold turkey and then holding on for the ride. I'm tired of the side effects, I'm tired of being addicted, I'm just tired of this drug. I've got no support from the medical community as my Psychiatrist is a big time drug believer. He even fired one patient I know personally because the guy couldn't take drugs. My therapist isn't trained in Pharmacology, but he's the best I've got. The only good thing this drug has done to me is to make me look at taking a more holistic approach to my mental health.

Darlin my cats names are "Buttons and Tinky." Archie is Maureens cat.Now Tinky is our feisty one and Buttons is pretty much as animated as a button, tee hee.
I know how you feel, I DID it and I regret it, just ending the taper sudden like. In this case the end did NOT justify the means. The Heck with your shrink. Ive nobody that really cares cept for my family and their ignorance(not an insult but fact) of the subject matter may lend to their bliss, but certainly not mine. In all fairness theyre just getting informed about the fibromyalgia more, and for that alone Im lucky.Why are you afraid to get another shrink? Rhetorical, hun. However, if and when it can be done Id drop him like a hot potato. Twas a shrink that sounded very much like yours that started me on this mess, was totally unapproachable, and didnt say anything if he knew about side effects or the fact I was frequently coming up short. he didnt do the taper either, cause I walked after leaving the Psych ward for suicidal ideation. My shrink responded by saying the valium wasnt helping and suggested a taper.I did the taper but am still in the process of finding another shrink(not VA, but Private Sector, its even more cumbersome) in the community.I've just been so sick and so tired. Ive an appt this week, but I was referred to him by my Neuro, who did the taper, and frankly Im concerned that they pat each other on the back.Small town, small mentality thriving. My taper has left me feelin brain dead and more communiction woulda helped probably.Do you want to feel brain dead Tabby? Well mark my word, a cold turkey is a baaad idea, in my opinion.

Now hoilistic is an excellent idea,in my opinion, but youll need to find someone with a completely comprehensive approach, not easily done.Not impossible, though. What do YOU/your therapist see as a holistic approach, if you dont mind my asking.Chin up Tabbie. Chances are if you do the taper, you wont get any permanent damage, and unless youve suspected that you had such, you really dont know how lucky you are, from my perspective. Im here for you, if you need to talk. Lord I hardly leave the house that much, now days. Mystic

#7 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am reallly trying to get off Cymbalta, and not having, well I am having nightmares even with the decreased does, and clanging in my head.

I just found this site, and I really need help, I can't do this, I fear I willl never get off this brutal medication.

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 12 October 2009 - 11:55 AM

sunny,
Are you sure your doing the right thing? How many days has it been since you took your last dose?
I just can't even fathom the ride you will have to go on doing it that way.

This is difficult enough as it is doing a slow taper, well for me it's been real nasty at times, and
I really hit pay dirt when I do a decrease. I actually go back to feeling like I was on the full amount.

Just remember the brain is addicted to this, and it might take a few days for the withdrawls to hit
and when they do they are so brutal. It is also ok if you decide you can't do it cold turkey to do a
slow taper like so many of us have found out to do here. It really is the kindest way to get off this crap.

Good luck how ever you decide, we are all here to support you.

Welcome,
Debbie

#8 haleyanne

haleyanne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • why_joining:
    I successfully stopped using Cymbalta following the It Worked section.

Posted 03 November 2009 - 03:35 PM

I was given accurate and useful advice by my doctor and pharmacist. No, this way will not work for all...but it did work me. Sorry for everyone's struggles.

#9 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 03 November 2009 - 06:28 PM

My doctor and pharmacist gravely advised against opening the pills and counting out the beads. The capsule is designed to be a time release and there is a chance of overdose if you're messing around with the way it was meant to be administered. I would not go there, sounds very unsafe.

NO NO NO NO NO

haleyanne you've got to stop presenting information here as though it's fact.

The CAPSULES ARE NOT time release.

The CAPSULES disintegrate in your stomach within seconds.

TRY IT - DROP A CYMBALTA CAPSULE INTO A GLASS OF BODY TEMPERATURE WATER AND SEE HOW LONG IT TAKES BEFORE THE BEADS ARE FLOATING AROUND IN THE WATER.

The BEADS are time release.

It is CRUCIAL that they reach your stomach in undamaged condition.

The best way to do this is via a capsule - either the one the Cymbalta comes in in the first place, or one we've made up ourselves with UNDAMAGED beads and empty gelatin capsules.

I appreciate you joining the board to share your information - but many of us here have been talking for a long time. We know that doctors, pharamacists etc don't always either know themselves, AND don't credit their customers with the intelligence to work out the difference.

i've BEEN on time release drugs - the outer shell couldn't be destroyed by a nuclear blast. That's what started me wondering about all of this 'don't take the capsules on their own or you'll get the whole dose;.

Between us Debbie and I realized what the truth was - that it's the BEADS that are time release, and people taking them on their own may, I stress MAY damage them with their teeth etc.

Please go back to your doctor and pharmacist and ask them to stop giving out incorrect information.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Maureen.

#10 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am reallly trying to get off Cymbalta, and not having, well I am having nightmares even with the decreased does, and clanging in my head.

I just found this site, and I really need help, I can't do this, I fear I willl never get off this brutal medication.

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:52 PM

My doctor and pharmacist gravely advised against opening the pills and counting out the beads. The capsule is designed to be a time release and there is a chance of overdose if you're messing around with the way it was meant to be administered. I would not go there, sounds very unsafe.

NO NO NO NO NO

haleyanne you've got to stop presenting information here as though it's fact.

The CAPSULES ARE NOT time release.

The CAPSULES disintegrate in your stomach within seconds.
Maureene,
Thank you for finding another one of these danderous post of this person. From what I am gathering
I don't think this person had ever gone through what any of us have. She just had some depression
and anxiety, and decided to do life without meds.

This is not the place of someone to come in here, and just blow off all the things that we have been
taught by those who have had the experience getting off this, and have stories close to our own.

I wonder if she ever even took this drug.

To anyone new please read lots of older post, and do not try this way of getting of Cymbalta, or any
antidepressant. You all have been here long enough to know that, but I still feel like a mother hen
that needs to protect others from things like this that might show up. This is my first for this
kind of thing, and I did over react to what was said by her. I just as I have said would hate to have
come here, and that's what I tried!

You go GIRL!!!!

Yeah for Maureene

TRY IT - DROP A CYMBALTA CAPSULE INTO A GLASS OF BODY TEMPERATURE WATER AND SEE HOW LONG IT TAKES BEFORE THE BEADS ARE FLOATING AROUND IN THE WATER.

The BEADS are time release.

It is CRUCIAL that they reach your stomach in undamaged condition.

The best way to do this is via a capsule - either the one the Cymbalta comes in in the first place, or one we've made up ourselves with UNDAMAGED beads and empty gelatin capsules.

I appreciate you joining the board to share your information - but many of us here have been talking for a long time. We know that doctors, pharamacists etc don't always either know themselves, AND don't credit their customers with the intelligence to work out the difference.

i've BEEN on time release drugs - the outer shell couldn't be destroyed by a nuclear blast. That's what started me wondering about all of this 'don't take the capsules on their own or you'll get the whole dose;.

Between us Debbie and I realized what the truth was - that it's the BEADS that are time release, and people taking them on their own may, I stress MAY damage them with their teeth etc.

Please go back to your doctor and pharmacist and ask them to stop giving out incorrect information.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Maureen.

#11 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am a sufferer of depression and GAD.

Posted 04 November 2009 - 06:32 AM

I was given accurate and useful advice by my doctor and pharmacist. No, this way will not work for all...but it did work me. Sorry for everyone's struggles.

It was "accurate" and useful for you. You cannot assume it will be the same for everyone else. Many people have been given "accurate" information from a Dr or pharmacist that hasn't worked for them at all. In fact, most find out more from forums (including me) than from medically qualified people. In fact, some of us are educating the Drs!!!

http://www.paxilprog... ... ay.php?f=7 this is a very good forum. The 'staff' there have a very sophisticated understanding of the neurobiological basis behind common withdrawal problems, not just from Paxil but from other a/ds too. I was skeptical when I first went there, esp since I have a degree in psychology, but I've learned a lot from them in just a few months. It's a real eye-opener.

Cheers
Junior

PS - We are not attacking you. Just trying to set you straight :)

#12 haleyanne

haleyanne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 04 November 2009 - 11:48 AM

Junior~
I appreciate telling me how you feel in a friendly way. I didn't realize the intense struggles some on this site have been through. I would like to say that you are very right in the fact that you don't want to hear someone saying how "easy" it is to stop taking Cymbalta. I apologize for all the uproar I obviously caused. My only intention was to try and help someone who might benefit from the way it worked for me. Sorry if I came across as rude or as if my experience was a fact, and will work for everyone. It just seemed right to me at the time to share this information, but the reason I began taking this drug seems small in comparison to some of the posts I have been reading. I wish you all the best. I still am saddened by the fact that some had to resort to personally attacking me when my only intention was to share my experience. Thanks again Junior for your approach, it's appreciated. :)

#13 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 04 November 2009 - 01:06 PM

haleyanne,
You were never personally attacked, it was what you said that was the problem,
People have said they are sorry, lets start all over again, maybe if it would have
been stated different.

Your right in what you told junior, you dont know at all what it's like for us at all.
Think about it if you were one of us, and had someone come along, and say what
you did? You also have to remember we are all going through so much because of
this drug, and some were not on it that long either, other's were, and suffered
the loss of friends, family , jobs, homes, income.

Many are just very raw here, and one has to take that into consideration.
I have tried to tell you that I am not mad at you, I don't think you meant
harm, but again having the correct information is what is so vital around
here, as we all take this so serriously.

I saw where you were being very supportive of one of our members, and
that's why I know you will do good around here.

Peace,
Debbie

#14 haleyanne

haleyanne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 04 November 2009 - 02:04 PM

Debbie~ Right now, I am touched that you care so much about others who are being affected by this. I pray that there soon will be light at the end of your tunnel. Hopefully, it will only get better. It's a good lesson in life...always tread softly. Nothing is worse than hurting others.

#15 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am a sufferer of depression and GAD.

Posted 04 November 2009 - 04:10 PM

Haleyanne

It's ok. Your heart was in the right place.

If you felt attacked, it's only because others have had such a hard time (as you have now realised) and the drug withdrawal itself brings on all sorts of emotions.

I wish you all the best
Junior

#16 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 05 November 2009 - 02:20 PM

Hayleanne

Junior~
I appreciate telling me how you feel in a friendly way. I didn't realize the intense struggles some on this site have been through. I would like to say that you are very right in the fact that you don't want to hear someone saying how "easy" it is to stop taking Cymbalta. I apologize for all the uproar I obviously caused. My only intention was to try and help someone who might benefit from the way it worked for me. Sorry if I came across as rude or as if my experience was a fact, and will work for everyone. It just seemed right to me at the time to share this information, but the reason I began taking this drug seems small in comparison to some of the posts I have been reading. I wish you all the best. I still am saddened by the fact that some had to resort to personally attacking me when my only intention was to share my experience.
Thanks again Junior for your approach, it's appreciated. :)

This is not about you! You still don't get that! Again you were never personally attacked.
No one called you names, or anything like that. All that was said was that your "WORDS"
were not accurate, true, and harmful.

Again you do have a great story, but it is just not one that any of us can even relate to.

Peace, and Love,
Debbie

#17 pam2613

pam2613

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal sent me to the ER where I was treated with such disrespect and billed mega bucks for nothing.

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:21 AM

Hi everyone! I tapered of Cymbalta (was only on 30 mg) by taking it every 18 hours then every other day, then every 3rd day. Tried opening and counting pellets in caps and taking 10 mgs at the end of 10 days. Had SEVERE withdrawals! Can't imagine coming off a higher dosage. Anyway, this all started the first week of August,and now its been 3 months. I had to go to ER 8/16. Had seizure the day before, and became lethargic. Husband realized how bad I was and took me to hospital. This was a joke! The ER doc (Michael Myers was his name - how appropriate) told me if I wanted symptoms to stop then I should take Cymbalta again! Did CAT scan, EKG, blood work, gave me shot of Ativan and something for vomiting. Discharge papers said I should NOT SELF MEDICATE! This is the most horrible drug I have ever experienced. Went to my family doc the following week (ER was on Fri. night) and told him I read up on withdrawals and asked for generic Prozac tabs to help with brain zaps, confusion, etc. Broke the prozac tabs into fourths (2.5 mg) daily for 3 days, then halves (5mg) for 3 days. Had severe panic attacks, but the brain zaps lessened. Still do not feel like myself, but much better. I honestly believe Cymbalta does something permanently damaging to some brains, including mine. I am in for an lawsuit, but would rather just understand what this drug did to me.....

#18 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 10 November 2009 - 01:25 PM

Hi everyone! I tapered of Cymbalta (was only on 30 mg) by taking it every 18 hours then every other day, then every 3rd day. Tried opening and counting pellets in caps and taking 10 mgs at the end of 10 days. Had SEVERE withdrawals! Can't imagine coming off a higher dosage. Anyway, this all started the first week of August,and now its been 3 months. I had to go to ER 8/16. Had seizure the day before, and became lethargic. Husband realized how bad I was and took me to hospital. This was a joke! The ER doc (Michael Myers was his name - how appropriate) told me if I wanted symptoms to stop then I should take Cymbalta again! Did CAT scan, EKG, blood work, gave me shot of Ativan and something for vomiting. Discharge papers said I should NOT SELF MEDICATE! This is the most horrible drug I have ever experienced. Went to my family doc the following week (ER was on Fri. night) and told him I read up on withdrawals and asked for generic Prozac tabs to help with brain zaps, confusion, etc. Broke the prozac tabs into fourths (2.5 mg) daily for 3 days, then halves (5mg) for 3 days. Had severe panic attacks, but the brain zaps lessened. Still do not feel like myself, but much better. I honestly believe Cymbalta does something permanently damaging to some brains, including mine. I am in for an lawsuit, but would rather just understand what this drug did to me.....

Pam,
Welcome to the form,
The way you took yourself off this drug is not at all a great way to go! They are other's here that will tell
you what happened to them by doing it this way.
The best way to get off this crap, and to have the least amount of withdrawls is to do a very slow wean.
That means taking the drug everyday, a certain dose that keeps the withdrawls away, yet allows you to
slowly get off Cymbalta.

Doctors do not know about the side effects, or about the withdrawls, or how to take anyone off this.
Your ok, it's just that your still having horrible withdrawls, and I would think about starting at a does
and then slowly weaning from there. Your brain is so confused right now it only know's it want's the
drug, that's what's going on with you. The brain is addicted to this med.

It has taken me from Aug 31 on 60 mg up until today to get to 20 mg 3 beads, and I started the Proxac
long ago, taking it daily. It has helped more than I realized.

This is not easy to do, and you reallly can make all of what's going on right now stop, find a comfortable
spot for you in a slow wean.

Here is the site for withdrawl symptoms this really helps me http://prozactruth.com/cymbalta.htm

Please keep us posted as to what your doing, how you are, and what you think you might do.

Debbie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users