4 replies to this topic

#1 tipping

tipping

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 February 2022 - 05:42 AM

Hello

After 25 years on ADs and about 12 on duloxetine, I've never had much of a libido. But I could sometimes orgasm in a normal way.

Last summer 2021 I was prescribed mirtazapine, 7.5mg, to help with sleep which i took for about 3 months, alongside 30mg duloxetine. It worked great on the sleep. However I soon noticed 2 things - I no longer get that buzz when you have your first drink of alcohol (I'm not a big drinker but it helps in social situations!) - no longer getting that that happy feeling with a couple of mouthfuls of wine. It was gone.

Also, more distressingly,  I stopped being able to orgasm. I stopped the mirtazapine 6 weeks ago and nothing has changed.

I've done deep dives into published medical papers but can't find any help. 

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Especially the sexual dysfunction?

Thanks.

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 13 February 2022 - 09:33 AM

Welcome tipping

Very common. It is due to the fact that antidepressants can lead to a massive loss of sexual hormones. I myself suffered such a fate in 2013 when my testosterone dropped 84% in just 3 months. Total loss of all sexual function and ability to orgasm.  Most drs respond to this condition by immediately starting the patient to wean off the antidepressant. After coming completely off the antidepressant most recover within 3 months however some never recover (such as myself). The situation for women is essentially the same. The first step in addressing this situation is to get a hormone screening performed. It usually is comprised of testing the blood for the 3 forms of estrogen, prolactin and progesterone. This will confirm or disprove the suspicion of loss of hormone generation. If hormones are low then the doctor may recommend hormone replacement therapy or perhaps biogenic cream as well as stopping the antidepressant. This condition is far more common than people realize. From my time on this site I would say it occurs in about 1 to 3% of our members, usually those who have been on an AD for an extended period of time. You will find many quite a few references to this occurrence on this site.

As for myself...Well I have been put on hormone replacement therapy but have not been able to have intercourse in 7 years and have been assured that I will never have intercourse again. Mine is a particularly severe case and is not the norm.

I would suggest you review our free ebook....

https://pdfhost.io/v...of_Contents.pdf

Do a search for related words and you will find many references to this and the closely related condition PSSD.  

Read things over and I will be more than happy to answer any questions on this matter. Remember this has NOT been closely studied but there is some medical research and that is presented in the ebook.

#3 tipping

tipping

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 February 2022 - 09:51 AM

Thanks for your reply. I am on HRT already - sorry I should have said. Have been on it for about 18 months. I'll read the ebook.

#4 tipping

tipping

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 February 2022 - 09:55 AM

Actually I've already read that ebook and use several of the methods listed - exercise, meditation, EMDR, Alphastim, plus various supplements.

#5 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 13 February 2022 - 12:01 PM

If you are already on hrt you might have the dr recheck your hormone levels to see if a shift in dose is necessary. Many women, especially post menopause, suffer loss of testosterone which can generate these types of symptoms as well. Something to check out. Otherwise all I can suggest is to come off the antidepressants and hope you get lucky and it helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users