#1 Julie

Julie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • why_joining:
    Discontinuing Cymbalta

Posted 30 December 2009 - 02:59 PM

I have been taking Cymbalta, 60 mg. for about a year. It concerned me because there were times, like when my mother died, when I had a subdued reaction. My new year's resolution is to be more authentic. The protocol I have received from my health care practioner involves the use of 30 mg. and 20 mg. capsules and introducing 5HTP and sunthealine (L thealine) and lithium oronate (not to be confused with lithium carbonate which is used in prescription strength for bipolar illness) The whole shebang is to take 10 weeks. I am 59 years old and very motivated to keep it real. Many of the reasons I had to be depressed are not in the picture.

Any thoughts?

#2 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am reallly trying to get off Cymbalta, and not having, well I am having nightmares even with the decreased does, and clanging in my head.

I just found this site, and I really need help, I can't do this, I fear I willl never get off this brutal medication.

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 30 December 2009 - 03:11 PM

I have been taking Cymbalta, 60 mg. for about a year. It concerned me because there were times, like when my mother died, when I had a subdued reaction. My new year's resolution is to be more authentic. The protocol I have received from my health care practioner involves the use of 30 mg. and 20 mg. capsules and introducing 5HTP and sunthealine (L thealine) and lithium oronate (not to be confused with lithium carbonate which is used in prescription strength for bipolar illness) The whole shebang is to take 10 weeks. I am 59 years old and very motivated to keep it real. Many of the reasons I had to be depressed are not in the picture.

Any thoughts?

Julie,
he Cymbalta is what kept you from having any emotions.
Here is the site for the withdrawls, but also most of
them I had/have on the drug.

I am on a very slow wean to get off the noxious stuff,
so is everyone here.

If you trying to find your authentic self, why are you staying
on this drug, and adding all the other's too.

Have you looked up the othe Lithum? Read Read what it is, and
side effects of all meds that you think about taking.

http://prozactruth.com/cymbalta.htm
This site you can find all kinds of drugs too

Good luck, get off the Cymbalta, show your doc the
withdrawls/side effects!

Good luck,
Debbie :unsure:

#3 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 30 December 2009 - 03:13 PM

Hi Julie,

sorry to hear about your mother. I recognize those aspects of being on anti-depressants - although I actually 'sharpened up' a bit when I moved from Lexapro to Cymbalta (I was on Lexapro for about six months then Cymbalta for two).

I was also in the situation that the reasons for being depressed were no longer in the picture, but, without wishing to scare you, please know that one of the withdrawal effects is temporary depression. Just warning you so that if it happens to you, you can hopefully keep the big picture in mind and remember that it's not the real you suffering depression, it's just your brain's response to having this drug withdrawn.

Until you start reducing your dose, you won't know if you're one of the lucky ones who can get of Cymbalta easily, or one of the unlucky ones for whom it's a long haul.

Sounds like you're talking about dropping to 50mg for a start??? Sounds like a plan to me, but please do keep in mind that if you do suffer from that drop, you can make up your own dose using clear gelatine capsules. The little balls inside the capsule are slow release, so need to be treated 'with respect' but it's the way most of us who've had to go slowly have found to work best.

Just keep an open mind about the pace at which you go, and you'll be fine. Don't be in too much of a rush to drop to the next level - something we're all tempted to do (and most of us have done!). Some find it takes nearly a week for withdrawal symptoms to hit properly, so it would be wise to spend a week at your first drop.

If you keep in touch here, there'll always be someone to give their perspective.

I really hope it works well for you. Good on you for checking out the withdrawing process beforehand.

regards, Maureen.

#4 Julie

Julie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • why_joining:
    Discontinuing Cymbalta

Posted 30 December 2009 - 05:33 PM

Thank you Debbie,

Maybe I wasn't clear. I am withdrawing off of Cymbalta not starting it. L theanine is an amino acid - also found in green tea, not a drug, so is 5HTP. Lithium oronate is a salt found in soil. These three supplements are not considered drugs.

I no longer see the doctor who prescribed the Cymbalta.

I know there will be side affects, but I'm going to do my best to stay occupied and not dwell on them. The worst seems to be a lack of energy, hopefully this will eventually improve

#5 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am reallly trying to get off Cymbalta, and not having, well I am having nightmares even with the decreased does, and clanging in my head.

I just found this site, and I really need help, I can't do this, I fear I willl never get off this brutal medication.

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 31 December 2009 - 01:55 PM

Thank you Debbie,

Maybe I wasn't clear. I am withdrawing off of Cymbalta not starting it. L theanine is an amino acid - also found in green tea, not a drug, so is 5HTP. Lithium oronate is a salt found in soil. These three supplements are not considered drugs.

I no longer see the doctor who prescribed the Cymbalta.

I know there will be side affects, but I'm going to do my best to stay occupied and not dwell on them. The worst seems to be a lack of energy, hopefully this will eventually improve

Julie,
I just looked up the three things that your going to take,and I think I will add them to what I am doing.
Yes, I was a bit spacy yesterday, and knew that you were weaning off Cymbalta, but by the time I went to
write you, I lost the info.,lol. This still happenes to me, and it's very frustrating.

I just want to wish you so much luck with this journey. It has een a very long one for me, and after almost
not 5 months I can really seee that I will be ok.

God Bless,
Debbie

#6 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    I am a sufferer of depression and GAD.

Posted 04 January 2010 - 03:28 AM

Hi Connie

Everyone's experience is different so it is hard to say. You didn't say what dose you have been on and how quick / slow you tapered so, again, there is not much to go on.

Sorry you are having such a rough time.

Junior

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users