#31 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:11 PM

I think several of these forums share only the horrible experiences people have coming off of cymbalta. To be honest, these sites are the sole reason I have been nervous coming off of Cymbalta. After being unable to lose weight, I have decided that it is time to be off of cymbalta. After taking 60mg for a year, I decided to go Cold Turkey. It has been a week tomorrow--and I have not had one side effect. I have been a little sluggish and maybe a little less than par--but nothing unmanageable. I understand that it is common to have horrific side effects, I just want to let you know that it is not always the case. You know your body best--if you can handle things, then have some confidence in yourself and do what is best for you.

I think you're right. In fact I KNOW you're right. There are many, many doctors out there who've had people come off Cymbalta without too much difficulty - leading to them not believing the patient when someone suddenly has huge problems.

Unfortunately, until research and trials are done (on people who've been on it for a while) no one is ever going to know what the figures are.

It's great that you posted, because, as you say, the assumption is everyone has problems, otherwise, because why would people even bother to research the problem if they didn't have one, much less post a comment.

"We' urgently need to know the figures for those with no problems and those with horrific problems (and in fact that those problems are CAUSED by Cymbalta withdrawal); until then, there will be doctors like mine who wouldn't touch Cymbalta again with a ten foot pole.

regards, Maureen.
  • Doob likes this

#32 Nana Nan

Nana Nan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • why_joining:
    Want to stop taking Cymbalta

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:44 PM

Just wanted to post to let you know you can get off this stuff! I was on effexor XR for 3 years and then did 14 months cymbalta after. I was on 60 mg daily. I started doing every other day of 60 mg cymbalta in December. Then I got down to one every 3rd day starting in January. I did this until last Sunday, which was my last dose of cymbalta. I then started 20 mg of prozac daily on Monday. I continued it daily until Friday. I am now taking it every other day with no problems at all. When I came off of effexor I had the worst side effects. Vomiting, diarrhea, dizzy spells, intense headache, and brain zaps. I literally was stuck in my bed. And that was with a slow weaning down and starting the cymbalta!

I am hopeful that I will be able to continue the every other day 20 mg prozac for this week and then drop it all together.

I want to convert to natural substances; has anyone else heard of Amoryn?

#33 Yvonne

Yvonne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • why_joining:
    To join discussions regarding Cymbalta, FMS / CFS and related medications and / or side effects

Posted 31 May 2010 - 06:38 PM

I was using 90mg Cymbalta per day for Fibromyalgia - with this drug, I was prescribed 900mg Gabapentin (thrice daily) and 100 mg Indometacin (thrice daily). It worked wonders for my pain for about a week - then I started experiencing severe brain fog, I couldn't remember what I was saying in the middle of sentences and I would forget the names of simple day to day things - I would point at something and my husband would name it for me. Mornings were the worst!! After the usual night of insomnia I would fall asleep at 06h00, wake up again at 07h00, take my medication and lapse into a trance like state which I would fight as long as I could. Eventually I would fall asleep for about 2 hours. I would wake up totally exhausted and unable to focus for very long.

Last month I had no pain for about 8 days and thought that I must have been misdiagnosed. I decided to go cold turkey and left ALL my medication. I had a wonderful fortnight - no pain, no brain fog, energy, I played ten pin bowling, walked a kilometre without having to sit down, weeded my garden and started exercising on the treadmill. THEN.... the pain hit me - BIG TIME - I was nauseous, vomiting, had severe headaches, brain zaps, nightmares and other really weird dreams, had extreme vertigo and started experiencing severe symptoms of breathlessness. Because of the above it takes me 40 minutes to walk around 200 metres when my pain levels allow me to.

I went to see my GP and he told me that these are withdrawal symptoms because I left the Cymbalta cold turkey. He said that I will experience these symptoms for at least another month. I am using Gabapentin and Indometacin again - I am able to slowly make my way downstairs (huffing and puffing and trying to breathe). I am still having bad dreams when I finally fall asleep, I am still experiencing brain fog, brain zaps, headaches and breathlessness. Will it ever get better???? I have become emotional and angry, I cry a lot. I was not a depressed person to start with but leaving Cymbalta has caused depression. I refuse to use it again - that would be taking huge steps backwards. I just want to be ME again.........it's not asking for much, is it??? I guess I know the answer to that one.

To those of you who have stuck it out and are feeling better, I am so pleased for you. I hope to reach that level of health soon too!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users