#1 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 18 February 2010 - 03:37 PM

I have been on 30 mg of Cymbalta for fibro pain for only 3 months.
I am stopping Cymbalta because I still have pain and fatigue to the max. I'd rather just have fibro symptoms.

Dr. says every other day for 1 week, then every third day for the next and then quit. Problem is I am outta money and down to 2 pills. Pharmacist suggested take 1 pill, skip 3 days then take the last. After taking 30mg a day, I skipped 2 days and was going to try to go 3 but I'm feeling like I have shakey vision when looking right or left, pressure headaches, dizziness and general crappiness. Not sure how else I can wean off this. I'm kinda nervous reading what I have here.

Am I better off to just quit cold turkey rather than space my last 2 pills out? I have not been on it very long nor at a high dose. Are my chances of withrawl symptoms less?

Really sorry I started Cymbalta. Any help you can offer is massively appreciated!
Patti

Hi Patti,

sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but no, judging by how you're already feeling, you're not going to feel better soon unless you can get your hands on some Cymbalta.

Whatever you do, don't take the whole 30mg - that's just taking you right back several days; the withdrawal symptoms you're experiencing are your body trying to adjust to the lack of Cymbalta - if you take the full dose again, you have to go through those three days again. All you're doing is postponing things.

Are you in the US? I'm assuming you are by your comments. If so I believe doctors usually have samples, or Eli Lilly are happy to provide samples with your doctor's o.k.

Another alternative is to get a prescription for Prozac - the generic varieties shouldn't be too expensive. Many people find that taking prozac during the withdrawal period alleviates many of the symptoms.

If none of the above are any use, even the two capsules that you have can help. You can open them and divide the contents: as per Angie's suggestion today you could have four days IN A ROW of 15mg by putting half the contents of each into half a capsule and stuffing the end with a bit of bread.

Whatever you do, don't try alternate days - it just doesn't work with Cymbalta.

You could divide your remaining 60mg into smaller doses (e.g. 6 x 10; 12 x 5mg etc) but that would mean buying clear gelatine caps to put the beads in. It is NOT recommended that you take the beads on their own, BUT this is because it's important they get to your stomach without being damaged. (The gel capsule part breaks down within two minutes in your stomach.) If you do end up taking the beads on their own, DO NOT add them to food, dissolve them in water, crunch them in your mouth etc.

FYI There are 270 beads in a 30mg capsule.

regards, Maureen.

#2 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    I am a sufferer of depression and GAD.

Posted 18 February 2010 - 04:16 PM

^^^ what she said.

I just want to add that anti-d's chemically change the way our brains function. That is why going cold turkey is not advisable. By doing a slow wean, it allows the brain to adjust more slowly and allows a better quality of life while doing so.

Hope that helps
Junior

#3 River Gal

River Gal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • why_joining:
    After one year on cymbalta at 60 mg, I want to try to wean off again (after trying before and "failing.") The first wean, I was put on 30 mg for two weeks, and then told to stop. It was horrible. The withdrawl was evil. After withdrawls ended, after another month, I relapsed again (panicky, nervous), and was put back on Cymbalta again. I have been on it for over a year now, and was told by my Psych I have to be on drugs forever since I "failed twice". I don't buy it. I am going to see a new doctor and want to talk about weaning very s l o w l y, plus practice a depression-fighting diet, vitamins, etc. etc. I'm not sure if I can do this alone - I guess this is why I'm here. Looking for people with similar experiences who can relate, who UNDERSTAND Cymbalta withdrawl, and who have been through it before.

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:31 PM

Patti,

I am about halfway through the taper off cymbalta process, I have been on 60 mg for over two years. This is my third attempt, and the first two attempts I tried with my doctor's advice... I was told by my doctor the first times "take 30 mg for two weeks, then stop." It was horrid. Awful withdrawl. Both times I ended up back on Cymbalta (obviously.)

This time, with advice from this forum, I am working with a different doctor's approval - I brought him this slow taper idea nd he is happy to try this way. I am about halfway through and am having NO WITHDRAWLS AT ALL! I am removing 10 BEADS every third day. Yes, you have to open up the capsules, and remove beads every day (I just pour a few onto a folded piece of paper, count them, etc., and throw the unneeded ones away.) I made myself a spreadsheet and reminders on my calendar of how many to remove each day.

Here's what I would suggest to you: Drop down 10 beads every couple of days. Like this, below. Good luck!

Day 1: 30 capsule
30 cap -10 beads
30 cap -20 beads
30 cap -30 beads
30 cap -40 beads
30 cap -50 beads
30 cap -60 beads
30 cap -70
30 cap -80
30 cap -90
30 cap -100
30 cap -110