#1 Southernreign

Southernreign

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • why_joining:
    Help my spouse to get free of this drug

Posted 02 March 2010 - 10:54 PM

Okay, my wife has been on this 'drug' for YEARS... she is wants to come because it cost about $150/month. She is on 60mg...
now, there are different opinions on how to get off... I want to know what everyone thinks here is best...
I know there are 540 'beads' per 60mg capsule... some say take 10 beads out every 2 weeks, some say 10%? (which is it)?
My wife has been off two days (she is trying cold turkey- which I keep telling her is VERY BAD,) but she refuses to listen...
she has already started with the brain zaps... dizzy, and extreme mood swings, non-stop nightmares when sleeping! HELP!!!

#2 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:27 PM

Okay, my wife has been on this 'drug' for YEARS... she is wants to come because it cost about $150/month. She is on 60mg...
now, there are different opinions on how to get off... I want to know what everyone thinks here is best...
I know there are 540 'beads' per 60mg capsule... some say take 10 beads out every 2 weeks, some say 10%? (which is it)?
My wife has been off two days (she is trying cold turkey- which I keep telling her is VERY BAD,) but she refuses to listen...
she has already started with the brain zaps... dizzy, and extreme mood swings, non-stop nightmares when sleeping! HELP!!!

Howdy,

There IS no right way - the best way to go can depend on a number of issues.

There IS the hard way though, and that TENDS to be cold turkey. Some can do it easier than others. Some can do cold turkey with the aid of Prozac. It's not recommended though, even by the drug companies themselves, so ask her to be aware of that. The weaning usually suggested by doctors can work for some, but is insufficiently slow for most people who end up here - those who haven't been able to tolerate what they're having to put up with.

The easiest way for your body to adjust is to reduce the dose by no more than 10% at a time (and often less), wait until any withdrawal symptoms have disappeared (hopefully they'll be much milder than cold turkey) then reduce again. If the symptoms are too difficult to deal with at any stage, just bump up the dose a bit.

Some people find they can get to 30 o.k. then get stuck at 15mg, others need to do the whole thing slowly. We're just a bunch of other sufferers who are sharing their experiences.

You can remove one bead every day if you wish for the next 540 days.

You can remove a certain number every two weeks.

etc etc.

The withdrawal symptoms are your brain attempting to get back to normal, so generally if someone has been 'off' for a little while, the dose they need to go back to get rid of all symptoms is reducing the whole time.

To save you counting so many beads, if you can get your hands on some empty gelatine capsules, you can then divide the contents of a 60 into several different sizes.

eg. Divide 60 into two, then divide one of those (now 30mg) capsules into three. You can do this really accurately visually. No need to count beads until lower doses.

If I were you, and knowing what I do now, I'd be tempted to encourage her to try 50mg and see if that's enough to alleviate symptoms - that way there's not so far to go down.

Let us know, so we can give you more info.

The prozac option may be useful too if weaning faster than usual is necessary through not wanting to pay for another script.

(Roll on the health system you all deserve.)

regards, Maureen.

#3 Southernreign

Southernreign

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • why_joining:
    Help my spouse to get free of this drug

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:28 AM

Howdy,

There IS no right way - the best way to go can depend on a number of issues.

There IS the hard way though, and that TENDS to be cold turkey. Some can do it easier than others. Some can do cold turkey with the aid of Prozac. It's not recommended though, even by the drug companies themselves, so ask her to be aware of that. The weaning usually suggested by doctors can work for some, but is insufficiently slow for most people who end up here - those who haven't been able to tolerate what they're having to put up with.

The easiest way for your body to adjust is to reduce the dose by no more than 10% at a time (and often less), wait until any withdrawal symptoms have disappeared (hopefully they'll be much milder than cold turkey) then reduce again. If the symptoms are too difficult to deal with at any stage, just bump up the dose a bit.

Some people find they can get to 30 o.k. then get stuck at 15mg, others need to do the whole thing slowly. We're just a bunch of other sufferers who are sharing their experiences.

You can remove one bead every day if you wish for the next 540 days.

You can remove a certain number every two weeks.

etc etc.

The withdrawal symptoms are your brain attempting to get back to normal, so generally if someone has been 'off' for a little while, the dose they need to go back to get rid of all symptoms is reducing the whole time.

To save you counting so many beads, if you can get your hands on some empty gelatine capsules, you can then divide the contents of a 60 into several different sizes.

eg. Divide 60 into two, then divide one of those (now 30mg) capsules into three. You can do this really accurately visually. No need to count beads until lower doses.

If I were you, and knowing what I do now, I'd be tempted to encourage her to try 50mg and see if that's enough to alleviate symptoms - that way there's not so far to go down.

Let us know, so we can give you more info.

The prozac option may be useful too if weaning faster than usual is necessary through not wanting to pay for another script.

(Roll on the health system you all deserve.)

regards, Maureen.

I appreciate the advice.
She is one of those people that Prozac did not help her depression what-so-ever... any suggestions on what -if any all-natural A.D she can try/use while she is trying to get off of this stuff?

#4 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:57 AM

I appreciate the advice.
She is one of those people that Prozac did not help her depression what-so-ever... any suggestions on what -if any all-natural A.D she can try/use while she is trying to get off of this stuff?

I've no idea why Prozac helps with the withdrawal effects. People don't take it to counter depression, they take it to counter the withdrawal effects. I don't know whether or not those same people found Prozac helpful otherwise. It seems for most of those who use it, to have a fairly quick effect on the withdrawal symptoms.

There ARE so-called natural anti-d out there, but I'd be wary of combining any with prescription drugs. It's Cymbalta your wife's brain is missing - it has to gradually get used to being without it. It can either adjust the hard way or the easy way.

There have been (literally) a handful of people come back and say they had some recurring withdrawal symptoms months after doing it cold turkey. Haven't seen anyone here come back saying the same thing about slow taper. Anecdotal evidence only, though.

Some people find all sorts of vitamins and supplements help (there's a thread on this board about it) but personally I found stuff like Omega3 made absolutely no difference.

I found alcohol o.k. once I started tapering properly, but in the early stages when I was trying to get rid of the withdrawals it was atrocious. I didn't actually drink much, but I was so hyped up one night I thought it might be relaxing. Instead after even just a few mouthfuls I went from 'hyped up' to 'about to explode'.

Hope this helps, regards, Maureen.

#5 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am a sufferer of depression and GAD.

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:05 AM

I appreciate the advice.

Hi Southernreign

It is best not to take any natural a/ds during withdrawal. They only mess up the process and in some cases, make it worse. As Maureen has already said the brain needs to return to its normal way of functioning. You don't want to bring about set backs in this process.

Having said that, the reason people find relief by using Prozac is because Cymbalta acts on two brain chemicals - serotonin and norepinephrine. Prozac relieves the serotonin wdl while allowing the body to adjust to being without the norepinephrine boost. When symptoms settle, one can then wean from the Prozac.

Kind regards
Junior

#6 cymbalta2010

cymbalta2010

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • why_joining:
    to help

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:23 AM

Well, I have attempted several times to come off of cymbalta only to fail...the last time however was different, which is why I came to this board to help others. First off I would like to say that this is a very hard time for your wife who will need as much support as you can give her (obviously this is why you posted). She might be mean, tired, sick or feeling a million different feelings which she may or may not have a valid reason for. My husband also had to suffer through this time w/me being so difficult and not really knowing what comes next.
Everyone says cold turkey is not okay to do. Possibly, but I have also heard that the weaning process takes even longer and the detoxification is just drawn out and just as severe as quitting cold turkey. I am not a doctor I am only telling you what I did which allowed me to come off of my cymbalta(which I was on for 2years) First, take one day at a time. Today may be horrible, tomorrow easier and back and forth. After investigating the best way to get off of my meds(60 mg a day)I visited my local health food store. I believe that most ailments can be cured w/the natural remedies(plants, herbs) that God has put here for us(No I am not a religious fanatic).
Day 1 I quit cold turkey. At the health food store I stocked up on fish oils, B vitamins, and a vitamin called positive thoughts (there are different supplements similar which contain many of the B vitamins along w/st. johns wort).I ate plenty of fiber. I also belong to a gym so i spent much time excercising and sitting in the sauna/steam room to help get the cymbalta out of my system faster. Yet still, this wasn't as easy as it sounds. I did have many moments where I cried my eyes out and wanted to spend time with a puching bag and times where I would wake up in the night and feel scared to be in my own house. The supplements/vitamins really helped the most which I never took the other times when I wasn't successful.

Some people hate/curse cymbalta. I am thankful for this drug. For me it helped me through times when I couldn't get out of bed to take care of my family. While taking cymbalta it helped me to get back on track. I found hobbies I love, and know how to handle stressful times much better, it's like I was reprogrammed while on this medication.
Your wife can do this. I thought that I would be on this medication forever after my several attempts to stop where I was unsuccessful. It hurt physically and mentally. Take one day at a time.
It will physically take a toll on her. The only thing I would have done differently which is already late for her to start since she has gone a few days w/o cymbalta is that I would have started the vitamins/supplements before I stopped cymbalta so that the few days of severe brain zaps/dizziness maybe could have been stopped all together. I anticipated the nausea/diarrhea flu-like symptoms I had the other times which were so painful that I would always give in and start taking the meds again. The B-vitamins, fish oil made all of that go away this time. It's kind of funny that everyone says get a prescription for another medication to help you get off of this one, in my opinion that just puts you right back at square one. I hope that this helps you both. It can be done. When you go to the healthfood/vitamin store don't be afraid to tell them what is going on and they will be able to help you pick out the best vitamins(brands, etc). They may even have other advice that you will find helpful, this is what worked for me. Chances are they've either been in your situation or have helped others in the same situation. Good Luck to you both and I hope that this helps you and many others.

#7 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 22 March 2010 - 09:36 PM

Cymbalta2010

I'm glad you were able to quit successfully by going cold turkey but many have major problems doing it this way - myself included - so I don't think it's a good idea to recommend it to others. I also need to correct a misunderstanding you seem to have. One doesn't detox from anti-depressants, one really needs to wean. Even the drug manufacturers themselves say this. The reason for it is that a/ds chemically change the way our brains function. I can go into more detail if you like but the point is, it is far better to allow our brains to adjust to a gradual reduction in the medication than to allow the chaos that cold turkey brings.

With regards to natural therapies, many find that Vitamin B actually INCREASES their anxiety problems rather than helps. The same goes for physical exercise. I know myself that I have trouble sleeping the night that I do karate training. The point is, everyone is wired differently and withdrawal is an individual process. Some have few problems, some have major problems.

Kind regards
Junior

#8 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 23 March 2010 - 02:50 AM

Tasunka in Seattle
Remember, The best revenge is living well.

wow Tasunka, great attitude you have there!

Please keep us posted as to your progress.

I know it's easier to post as a guest, but if you become a member, you can start your own topics & threads and have an ongoing post going.

regards, Maureen.

#9 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 23 March 2010 - 04:20 PM

My response is to simply work with the physician who prescribes the Cymbalta. I am currently in process of changing daily dosage from 60 per day to 40 per day. My physician prescribed 20 mg - so now one day I am on 60, the next day 40. I will continue until the 60 dosage capsules are gone.

Hi Osceola

That may work for the 60mg and 40mg doses but in terms of actual withdrawal it very rarely works. We also find that most Drs just don't seem to understand how difficult and prolonged the withdrawal process can be. While some people can do it easily - and I hope you are one - many many people find they can't.

Just wanted you to know.
Cheers
Junior

#10 cymbalta2010

cymbalta2010

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • why_joining:
    to help

Posted 23 March 2010 - 05:55 PM

Cymbalta2010

I'm glad you were able to quit successfully by going cold turkey but many have major problems doing it this way - myself included - so I don't think it's a good idea to recommend it to others. I also need to correct a misunderstanding you seem to have. One doesn't detox from anti-depressants, one really needs to wean. Even the drug manufacturers themselves say this. The reason for it is that a/ds chemically change the way our brains function. I can go into more detail if you like but the point is, it is far better to allow our brains to adjust to a gradual reduction in the medication than to allow the chaos that cold turkey brings.

With regards to natural therapies, many find that Vitamin B actually INCREASES their anxiety problems rather than helps. The same goes for physical exercise. I know myself that I have trouble sleeping the night that I do karate training. The point is, everyone is wired differently and withdrawal is an individual process. Some have few problems, some have major problems.

Kind regards
Junior

Hello, I do agree with your post, however I just wanted to clarify that I didn't recommend anyone quit cold turkey. Any ad you read, commercial you watch or antidepressant website you visit will say DO NOT STOP TAKING MEDS WITHOUT CONSULTING YOUR DOCTOR. The man that I replied to said his wife had already quit two days before against his recommedation (cold turkey). I also quit cold turkey and just wanted to let him know what worked for me. As you stated everyone is wired differently and they just have to figure out what works for them, having tried several times to quit before succeeding I only wanted to help this man to help his wife. Best wishes

#11 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 24 March 2010 - 02:43 AM

Hello, I do agree with your post, however I just wanted to clarify that I didn't recommend anyone quit cold turkey. Any ad you read, commercial you watch or antidepressant website you visit will say DO NOT STOP TAKING MEDS WITHOUT CONSULTING YOUR DOCTOR. The man that I replied to said his wife had already quit two days before against his recommedation (cold turkey). I also quit cold turkey and just wanted to let him know what worked for me. As you stated everyone is wired differently and they just have to figure out what works for them, having tried several times to quit before succeeding I only wanted to help this man to help his wife. Best wishes

Fair enough :)

Hope things are still going well for you.

#12 Cat

Cat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationNorthern California
  • why_joining:
    coming off Cymbalta

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:12 AM

Natural supplements....1. no more than 200 mg of 5-HTP per day. 2. 2000 mg of Omega 3 and 6, fish oil capsules (check the label on back for how many mg of both are there)start with 1000 per day for a week and increase to 2000. 3. A vitamin B50 or B - Complex, 1 per day. 4. And Vitamin D3, 1200 mg per day. All but #1 you can get at CVS or Walgreens, 5-HTP you need to get at a health food store or on line.

All the best....and don't go cold turkey. I have been on 120 mg of Cymbalta and 150 mg of Wellbutrin for over a year and a half. I dropped overnight to 60 mg 8 weeks ago after firing my dr, got a new dr that gave me a pres for 30 mg which I went on overnight after being on the 60's for maybe 3-4 weeks. Its been almost a month on the 30 mg of Cymbalta and still 150 of Wellbutrin. More than a handful of people wonder how and why I am alive! The dosage I was on is a toxic amount but even I know that quitting cold turkey has some ugly effects that show up when you least expect. Please wean off the drug slowly.
Best to you..
Jerika 'Cat'

#13 Cat

Cat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationNorthern California
  • why_joining:
    coming off Cymbalta

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:29 AM

So the 5htp from walmart is not as good as one from a healthfood store?

I got my 5 HTP from CVS or Longs. Just make sure it doesn't contain a bunch of fillers or additives...I have been on 100 mg of 5HTP, 30 mg Cymbalta and 150 of Wellbutrin for 5 wks...I see my dr end of the week and will advise.
Cat

#14 Mb In Indiana

Mb In Indiana

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • why_joining:
    I feel like Im in a fog and I need to concentrate at my new job. Everyting in me is rejecting taking this medication and I started looking around tonight and found this site. I hope someone will reach out to me. I feel alone in a new city with a new challenging job. Thanks.

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:41 PM

Thank you so much everyone for sharing your stories. I dont feel so alone now and have a better action plan and feel more confident to go through the process of reducing and adding supplements and exercise until I find the right balance for myself. Im just starting this process this weekend. I have been on 2 30mg tablets that I have taken in the morning at work and then wondering why Im so tired and cant concentrate... The stress has been removed from my life, things are going better and yet this drug is making me feel worse. Im glad its not just me wondering what's wrong with ME... is the medication. I wish you all the best and myself also as I get off this drug. Take care... Ill say a prayer for us all. Marybeth in Indiana

#15 Elaine

Elaine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • why_joining:
    I want off CYMBALTA yesterday but am doing a slow withdraw

Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:31 PM

I am cutting out the cymbalta using www.pointofreturn.com program. I am down from 60mg. to less than 30mg. So far it has been just fine with a slight queasy feeling a couple of days in the last month and a very slight anxiety-I may have done it to myself. It is worth checking out there program and talking to them. It is free to talk. Even if you only look at what supplements they use in their program and consider those. They are super people and it is a non-profit.
Best wishes,
Elaine

#16 kathyj

kathyj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • why_joining:
    Former Cymbalta user. Went off the drug 2 weeks ago 60 mg cold turkey. Came here looking for support and answers to how long the withdrawals will take.

Posted 06 October 2010 - 11:30 AM

I've been off Cymbalta one month on the 10th. I am going to be OK. Right now anyway. I've had severe withdrawals and it has made me very sick. God Bless you all. All I wish for is to be chemically free.

#17 marilync5353

marilync5353

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • why_joining:
    i am sick

Posted 07 October 2010 - 01:30 PM

I appreciate the advice.

it doesn't matter how little you take and taper off this drug the minute your body recognized that it isn't in your system the symptoms start all over again i know because i have tried tappering off i have been doing that for over two weeks and the minutes one of those crazy little evil beads is not absorbed into your brain the symptoms start i have been sick since last Monday and it is getting worse i am so nausiated, my head feels like it is in a vise my eyes are so unfocused you just want to lay down and close your eyes i can't function i can't clean my house take care of my dogs not to mention your mental state of mind i called lilly pharmacutical co yesterday and they didn't have anything to say except tapper off them i told them I TRIED THAT and there isn't anything they are going to do i ask them are they going to take them off the market and she said no
everyone needs to call Lilly and complain call the FDA complain or this will be going on forever

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users