27 replies to this topic

#1 adminKen

adminKen

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 34 posts
  • LocationBoston MA
  • why_joining:
    I'm the founder and I built this site to better understand the withdrawal effects of Cymbalta of someone who was close to me.

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:55 AM

Members, please share for the new people some of the side effects you experience during your Cymbalta Withdrawal period.

#2 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    I am a sufferer of depression and GAD.

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:44 AM

Hello Admin, nice to meet you B)

Umm... severe upper abdo pain, regurgitation, flatulence (on and off it actually), mood swings, insomnia (which began when I was on it)... that's all I can remember tbh. I know that my Dr tested me for gallstones :unsure:

Junior

#3 brewster

brewster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • why_joining:
    asd

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:15 PM

I tapered from 30 to 15 to 10 to 5 over the course of a month, then went completely off of this horrible drug. These withdrawal symptoms alone should make it completely illegal. I'd rather have been addicted to heroin.

Below is a list of symptoms I noticed once I was completely off of it.

Good luck, and remember: you are not alone, you are not crazy, and the feelings will go away.

1 = infrequent, 10=very frequent

Week 1
  • Brain zaps 7
  • Irritability 8
  • Muscle pains 3
  • Itching, insect bite feelings on surface of arms and legs 8
  • The weepies 2
  • Mood swings 6
  • Food cravings 7
  • Reckless behavior 8
  • Tingling, mouth numbness 2
  • Insomnia 6
  • Nausea 4
  • Feeling of being in a mental fog 7

Week 2
  • Brain zaps 5
  • Irritability 4
  • Reckless behavior 2
  • Insomnia 3
  • Dizzyness and coordination issues 4
  • Nausea 3
  • Inability to concentrate 5
  • Loss of appetite 4
  • Loss of interest in fun things 3

#4 happygirl

happygirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • why_joining:
    Started weaning off Cymbalta 60mg today to 30mg. Appreciate the support and insight into weaning that this site supplies.

Posted 18 March 2010 - 06:25 PM

Brewster,
Did you have symptoms during your weaning process? If so, what? Do you think the gradual weaning process was worth it considering you still had all those side effects on week one and two after you were completely off of cymbalta? I just cut down from 60 to 30mg today and planned to do that for one week, then perhaps stop all together. Thanks for your reply.

#5 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 19 March 2010 - 04:51 PM

Brewster,
Did you have symptoms during your weaning process? If so, what? Do you think the gradual weaning process was worth it considering you still had all those side effects on week one and two after you were completely off of cymbalta? I just cut down from 60 to 30mg today and planned to do that for one week, then perhaps stop all together. Thanks for your reply.

Sorry to butt in on the conversation, but a month from 30mg to zero is very fast for anyone who suffers bad withdrawal symptoms. That's one of the points of this board, to let people know that you DO NOT have to suffer bad withdrawal symptoms, but it MAY mean that you take a lot longer than someone else to get off. In order to keep symptoms to a minimum, I spent 10 weeks going from 20mg to zero. Someone else may be able to do it in a week, the next person may take 10 months.

But you DO NOT have to suffer the symptoms, IF you are prepared to take your time, and IF you have access to the drug.

regards, Maureen.

#6 happygirl

happygirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • why_joining:
    Started weaning off Cymbalta 60mg today to 30mg. Appreciate the support and insight into weaning that this site supplies.

Posted 22 March 2010 - 02:10 PM

Sorry to butt in on the conversation, but a month from 30mg to zero is very fast for anyone who suffers bad withdrawal symptoms. That's one of the points of this board, to let people know that you DO NOT have to suffer bad withdrawal symptoms, but it MAY mean that you take a lot longer than someone else to get off. In order to keep symptoms to a minimum, I spent 10 weeks going from 20mg to zero. Someone else may be able to do it in a week, the next person may take 10 months.

But you DO NOT have to suffer the symptoms, IF you are prepared to take your time, and IF you have access to the drug.

regards, Maureen.

Hi Maureen,
Thank you for your reply. I believe I am going to try weaning myself slower by removing beads like you have mentioned on this site. I am doing ok right now going from 60 to 30mg and have noticed some dizziness and slight nausea if I do not take it by evening of the next day. I see from posts that this drop is usually ok for most people. I will be curious to see how I do on the next drop.

I had to wean off of Paxil about 10 years ago and had a very difficult time. I stayed home from work for a week with flu-like symptoms which did pass but the memory is still fresh. I was taking cymbalta for mood swings related to PMS, not depression. I will never take this kind of medicine again and had I known about cymbalta's withdrawal symptoms, I would not have taken it. This site is a God send to us all who need support. Beth

#7 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 22 March 2010 - 04:05 PM

Hi Maureen,
Thank you for your reply. I believe I am going to try weaning myself slower by removing beads like you have mentioned on this site. I am doing ok right now going from 60 to 30mg and have noticed some dizziness and slight nausea if I do not take it by evening of the next day. I see from posts that this drop is usually ok for most people. I will be curious to see how I do on the next drop.

I had to wean off of Paxil about 10 years ago and had a very difficult time. I stayed home from work for a week with flu-like symptoms which did pass but the memory is still fresh. I was taking cymbalta for mood swings related to PMS, not depression. I will never take this kind of medicine again and had I known about cymbalta's withdrawal symptoms, I would not have taken it. This site is a God send to us all who need support. Beth

Hi Beth,

This is just anecdotal, but yes, I've seen lots of people here not have too much difficulty getting down to 30mg, and then striking problems. Just remember you can go as slow as you like. Some people have taken a year.

I hope Junior sees your post, because she has knowledge of Paxil.

Keep in touch if you want to wean slowly,

regards, Maureen.

#8 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 22 March 2010 - 09:19 PM

Hi Maureen,

Hi Happygirl

I understand that Paxil is one of the hardest of the modern a/ds to get off. I haven't had trouble getting off it in the past but after switching from that to Lexapro and then to Cymbalta, was forced to go back on it to stabilise so it's possible there was a 'wave' of wdl probs several months after stopping it. This all happened between March and September last year :S

IMO Cymbalta is harder to get off than Paxil, if only because it directly affects 2 neurotransmitters instead of one. Also, dropping from high doses seems to easier than dropping from low doses across the board. Even my naturopath has said this!

Let me know if I can help in any way
Junior

#9 happygirl

happygirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 25 March 2010 - 11:19 AM

Hi Happygirl

I understand that Paxil is one of the hardest of the modern a/ds to get off. I haven't had trouble getting off it in the past but after switching from that to Lexapro and then to Cymbalta, was forced to go back on it to stabilise so it's possible there was a 'wave' of wdl probs several months after stopping it. This all happened between March and September last year :S

IMO Cymbalta is harder to get off than Paxil, if only because it directly affects 2 neurotransmitters instead of one. Also, dropping from high doses seems to easier than dropping from low doses across the board. Even my naturopath has said this!

Let me know if I can help in any way
Junior

Hi Junior,
I appreciate your reply. I am going to try 15mg of cymbalta today. I will see how it goes. I too was on Lexapro prior to cymbalta so I have essentially been on something for the past 3 years. I have taken off work until April 27th due to TAH/BSO surgery plus to wean off cymbalta. I really want to be through this by the time I go back to work. I am praying that I will not have withdrawals too badly. I am taking vitamins, fish oil, and drinking lots of water. This site and your input is invaluable to all of us who are going through wds. I will keep you updated and I may have a question or two. Beth

#10 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 26 March 2010 - 03:55 AM

Hi Beth

Just one small(ish) thing - I've heard many people say they can't take Vit B during withdrawal as it further ramps up an already very sensitive nervous system. Just something to be mindful of. Everyone is different.

Good luck
Junior

#11 brain zapped

brain zapped

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationNY
  • why_joining:
    Dr. gave me samples of Cymbalta to try with the Wellbutrin XL I am on. 10 days of taking the 30mg I had to stop (3/19/10). Bad insomnia every night, excessive sweating, dizziness so bad I could not function at work. Total loss of appetite. Headache almost everyday. I'm going through withdrawal HELL and am looking for help to get through this.

Posted 26 March 2010 - 02:15 PM

I am on day 7 of withdrawals and am in a living hell. I cannot believe this horrendous drug was ever allowed on the market. So far the symptoms of withdrawal I'm going through are brain zaps (the worst, they are almost constant), frequent nausea, loss of appetite (looking at food makes me want to throw up), uncontrollable crying, mood swings, almost constant headache, brain fog, joint/muscle pain (which started today) and frequent dizziness upon standing. All of these combined makes me feel like I'm dying, or at best making me wish that I was dead.

FYI, my Dr. gave me two weeks worth of samples for the 30mg, plus another two weeks for the 60 mg. (I am also on 450mg of Wellbutrin XL). After 12 days on Cymbalta I stopped taking it, not realizing how HORRIBLE these withdrawals would be. Had I known any of this about Cymbalta I never would have put one pill in my mouth. I'd rather deal with depression as opposed to all the side-effects and withdrawals of these drugs. To me it is just not worth it. :(

I am hoping and praying that these withdrawals dissipate soon...I also pray I will not acquire any others.

Eli Lilly should be sued to every possible extent, and made to feel every symptom anyone has had to endure due to Cymbalta.

#12 happygirl

happygirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 27 March 2010 - 07:35 PM

Hi Beth

Just one small(ish) thing - I've heard many people say they can't take Vit B during withdrawal as it further ramps up an already very sensitive nervous system. Just something to be mindful of. Everyone is different.

Good luck
Junior

Hi Junior,
I reduced from 30mg to 15mg Thursday. I have noticed some dizziness and slow motion vision. These symptoms come on when it is time for me to take my pill and last around 4-5 hours after I take my pill. Today was the first day that I had a emotional "cry" and I am not sure why. I am sure the decrease in serotonin is kicking in. I find that I tend to want to eat comfort food like ice cream and chocolate too. I think the fish oil has helped my brain and I really haven't had any bad headaches either. Not sleeping too well but not hyper either. I seem to be flat affect for the most part. I can live with this for now. I will post on my progress. Happygirl/Beth

#13 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 27 March 2010 - 07:47 PM

I am on day 7 of withdrawals and am in a living hell. I cannot believe this horrendous drug was ever allowed on the market. So far the symptoms of withdrawal I'm going through are brain zaps (the worst, they are almost constant), frequent nausea, loss of appetite (looking at food makes me want to throw up), uncontrollable crying, mood swings, almost constant headache, brain fog, joint/muscle pain (which started today) and frequent dizziness upon standing. All of these combined makes me feel like I'm dying, or at best making me wish that I was dead.

FYI, my Dr. gave me two weeks worth of samples for the 30mg, plus another two weeks for the 60 mg. (I am also on 450mg of Wellbutrin XL). After 12 days on Cymbalta I stopped taking it, not realizing how HORRIBLE these withdrawals would be. Had I known any of this about Cymbalta I never would have put one pill in my mouth. I'd rather deal with depression as opposed to all the side-effects and withdrawals of these drugs. To me it is just not worth it. :(

I am hoping and praying that these withdrawals dissipate soon...I also pray I will not acquire any others.

Eli Lilly should be sued to every possible extent, and made to feel every symptom anyone has had to endure due to Cymbalta.

Hi Brain Zapped

Did you doctor tell you to take 60mg one day, then 30mg the other? If so, I hate to tell you but that weaning method NEVER works. I really don't know why doctors suggest it. It is far better to drop the dose and STAY on that lower dose for a few weeks before dropping again.

Are you taking any now?

Junior

#14 fellow sufferer

fellow sufferer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • why_joining:
    support. can't believe how awful this withdrawal is. and i loved the drug while on it. didn't like the side effects but never coul dhave imagined in my wildest dreams that it could be like this. i wonder if it is ever gogin to stop.

Posted 28 March 2010 - 10:23 AM

I tapered from 30 to 15 to 10 to 5 over the course of a month, then went completely off of this horrible drug. These withdrawal symptoms alone should make it completely illegal. I'd rather have been addicted to heroin.

Below is a list of symptoms I noticed once I was completely off of it.

Good luck, and remember: you are not alone, you are not crazy, and the feelings will go away.

1 = infrequent, 10=very frequent

Week 1

• Brain zaps 7
  • Irritability 8
  • Muscle pains 3
  • Itching, insect bite feelings on surface of arms and legs 8
  • The weepies 2
  • Mood swings 6
  • Food cravings 7
  • Reckless behavior 8
  • Tingling, mouth numbness 2
  • Insomnia 6
  • Nausea 4
  • Feeling of being in a mental fog 7

Week 2
  • Brain zaps 5
  • Irritability 4
  • Reckless behavior 2
  • Insomnia 3
  • Dizzyness and coordination issues 4
  • Nausea 3
  • Inability to concentrate 5
  • Loss of appetite 4
  • Loss of interest in fun things 3

I too have these symptoms plus reckless jerking legs, bloating...and the absolute worst is the zaps in the brain. I am new here and feel for all of you. I am a full time yoga teacher and can't afford to take any time off and wow....just wow. I have tapered very slowly (imo) from 30 mg. (7 weeks of tapering, breaking open capsules etc.) i "thought" i LOVED this drug. (while i was on it other than constipation, low sex drive...a few side effects) My main question and I don't see any responses anywhere on this forum is..is this permanent or is there a light at the end of the tunnel? Id love to know.

#15 brain zapped

brain zapped

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationNY
  • why_joining:
    Dr. gave me samples of Cymbalta to try with the Wellbutrin XL I am on. 10 days of taking the 30mg I had to stop (3/19/10). Bad insomnia every night, excessive sweating, dizziness so bad I could not function at work. Total loss of appetite. Headache almost everyday. I'm going through withdrawal HELL and am looking for help to get through this.

Posted 28 March 2010 - 12:41 PM

Hi Brain Zapped

Did you doctor tell you to take 60mg one day, then 30mg the other? If so, I hate to tell you but that weaning method NEVER works. I really don't know why doctors suggest it. It is far better to drop the dose and STAY on that lower dose for a few weeks before dropping again.

Are you taking any now?

Junior

Junior,

No, she started me on the 30mg for 2 weeks and then she wanted me to switch to the 60mg. After 12 days of the 30mg I couldn't take it anymore. I had terrible insomnia every night, nausea, dizziness, lack of appetite and a constant headache. I go to see her tomorrow.

Today is Day 9 of Cold Turkey. Still a bit of nausea, the headache that will NOT go away (which right now is the worst part of it) Claritan D nor Excedrin are putting a dent in it. Brain zaps have gotten to be less frequent. I've been chugging on Gatorade to rehydrate and for the electrolytes the last 2 days. Been trying to eat alot of fruit for the antioxidants. Fruit is really one of the few things I can stand to look at so I can at least eat, as I still don't have much of an appetite. Taking my multi-vitamin. Got some OJ that has Omega 3 in it...we'll see how that works, haven't tried it yet. I've seen others say sugars and caffeine aggravate the symptoms and I'm finding that to be true, so I'm trying to avoid those as much as possible. the joint/muscle pain has lessened also.

I'm really hoping to push through this soon only having been on it for less than 2 weeks. I want "ME" back. This stuff is POISON. About the only time I am really okay is when I'm sleeping and I'm thankful for that as I've seen alot still suffer from the insomnia while on withdrawals.

I would seriously rather deal with my depression than to be on all these chemicals messing with my brain and giving me alot more problems than I started with. There has to be an easier way. I've been doing alot of praying and trying to think positive as well.

#16 Solitude

Solitude

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, UTAH
  • why_joining:
    Weening of Cymbalta

Posted 17 April 2010 - 11:47 PM

I am in the process off weaning of this drug completely. I have been using cymbalta for about 4 years now. It's not that I don't think it works. It does have it's benefits, however, I have been on such a low dose that I don't see what the point is. 20 mg once a day. I am a 44 year old women with GAD. I have gone to taking it once every other day. I CAN tell the difference when I don't take it. Very dizzy, sleepy, a little on the emotional side. So far that is about it, except for the slight nausea that I feel throughout the day. I am hoping to be completely off this drug by end of the month. I know it is a low dose, however, I think the withdrawls come from taking it for longer periods of time, and not just the dosage. But I could be wrong.

#17 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:48 AM

I am in the process off weaning of this drug completely. I have been using cymbalta for about 4 years now. It's not that I don't think it works. It does have it's benefits, however, I have been on such a low dose that I don't see what the point is. 20 mg once a day. I am a 44 year old women with GAD. I have gone to taking it once every other day. I CAN tell the difference when I don't take it. Very dizzy, sleepy, a little on the emotional side. So far that is about it, except for the slight nausea that I feel throughout the day. I am hoping to be completely off this drug by end of the month. I know it is a low dose, however, I think the withdrawls come from taking it for longer periods of time, and not just the dosage. But I could be wrong.

You can still get plenty of withdrawl symptoms from 20mg (sorry about that info). For many people, the hardest part is getting rid of the last 30mg. Cymbalta has a short half life, so it's not helping you withdraw by taking it every second day. You really need to be taking some dose every day. At this stage you could take 10mg EVERY day, then wean down from there.

You can use your 20mg capsules, put half of the beads into each half of the capsule and stuff the end with bread.

regards, Maureen.

#18 Antonia

Antonia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • why_joining:
    Longtime cymbalta user going through bad withdrawls and finding support here has helped.

Posted 20 April 2010 - 03:14 AM

Members, please share for the new people some of the side effects you experience during your Cymbalta Withdrawal period.

Hello, I have been on Cymbalta for 5 years. I originally was put on it after the birth of my last child due to severe anxiety, and chronic neck pain from a car accident. It was horrible to start, I felt floaty and dizzy and couldnt sleep at all!! I literally went 6 days without any sleep at all before I was told I needed Lunesta to retrain my body. I wanted to have another baby so I called my doctor and requested a withdrawl plan. I was told to stop taking my 60mg and take 30mg for 7 days, and then take 30mg every other day for 7 days and I would be fine. My last pill was two weeks ago, and I am in agony. I have severe migrains, nausea, stomache cramping, neck pain, joint pain, irratability, mood swings, hours of "blankness", fogginess, severe dizziness, brain pains, insomnia, severe nightsweats (which I had for the past 5 years). This has been horribly painfull and stressfull. I will literally end my day not knowing how my day was spent. I will drive somewhere, and have no idea why I drove there. It ws so bad a few days ago, that after grocery shopping while my meds were being filled at the local grocery store, I payed for my meds, chatted with the pharmacist, gathered my daughter and was on my way home when I was pulled over by a police officer because I didnt pay for my groceries. I had to drive back, pay for them and then go to the police station and recieve a citation. I even fell asleep in the police waiting room with my daughter while they were verifying my identity. I had no ability to feel anything other thatn off balance and foggy and exhausted. It wasnt until two days later, that I felt shock and embarassment and anger at how I could lose control over my brain and body so badly that I could be that unaware of goinggs on and driving with my child. This is a horrible horrible drug. Sure it helped while I was on it, but I suffered horrible soaking wet night sweats, and insomnia, and lack of motivation for anything the whole time I was on it. Now I do'nt remember anything I have done, where I park, where my keys are, where my phone is even if I am talking on it. this is just ridiculous. I am snapping at my daughters, my husband, my friends. Everyone thinks that when the pills stop, things should be normal, but its not, and I dont understand. How much longer will this go on??? My migrain headaches are daily and not lessening. Is anyone else experiencing symptoms like this, will it end soon?

#19 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future I would like to stop cymbalta

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:26 PM

Antonia:
I recently went from 60 to 52mg (a 8mg decrease). In spite of this small decrease sometimes I get blank, I forget words. I cannot find words to express myself.
Regards
C.

#20 Gail F

Gail F

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • why_joining:
    I have been off Cymbalta 60mg CT for 7 day, and was just wondering how long I would feel like this. Didn't know this site existed till I typed cymbalta withdrawal, glad I did.

Posted 21 May 2010 - 07:48 AM

Hi Maureen,

Hi Beth. I to am doing the removing the beads from the capsules and am on day 3 of this. I went from 60 to guessing 30. I will do this for another 2 weeks then try and go down more beads.
The side effects of going off have been : severe sweats, fever,nausea,brain zaps,dizzy, foggy,extreme tiredness,headache,no appetite,nightmares,shakes,lite sensitivty. The more I get clear headed the more I remember the side effects. This last week was like a bad dream. Takeing the 30mg has helped a whole lot, but still have some side effects, but can deal with them now. This forum is a God send! Gail :-)

#21 terrible mom

terrible mom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • why_joining:
    Terrible withdrawls from cymbalta & feel like worst mom in the world. Need help before I lose I mind! Do not want to start back on Cymbalta. Have been on this for many years and went from 60 mg to 30 mg in two weeks then none. Feel like I am losing my mind. Go from yelling to crying to wanting to sleep all the time. This is the most horrible thing I have ever been through and if possible will NEVER go back

Posted 28 May 2010 - 07:57 PM

Junior,

No, she started me on the 30mg for 2 weeks and then she wanted me to switch to the 60mg. After 12 days of the 30mg I couldn't take it anymore. I had terrible insomnia every night, nausea, dizziness, lack of appetite and a constant headache. I go to see her tomorrow.

Today is Day 9 of Cold Turkey. Still a bit of nausea, the headache that will NOT go away (which right now is the worst part of it) Claritan D nor Excedrin are putting a dent in it. Brain zaps have gotten to be less frequent. I've been chugging on Gatorade to rehydrate and for the electrolytes the last 2 days. Been trying to eat alot of fruit for the antioxidants. Fruit is really one of the few things I can stand to look at so I can at least eat, as I still don't have much of an appetite. Taking my multi-vitamin. Got some OJ that has Omega 3 in it...we'll see how that works, haven't tried it yet. I've seen others say sugars and caffeine aggravate the symptoms and I'm finding that to be true, so I'm trying to avoid those as much as possible. the joint/muscle pain has lessened also.

I'm really hoping to push through this soon only having been on it for less than 2 weeks. I want "ME" back. This stuff is POISON. About the only time I am really okay is when I'm sleeping and I'm thankful for that as I've seen alot still suffer from the insomnia while on withdrawals.

I would seriously rather deal with my depression than to be on all these chemicals messing with my brain and giving me alot more problems than I started with. There has to be an easier way. I've been doing alot of praying and trying to think positive as well.

#22 terrible mom

terrible mom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • why_joining:
    Terrible withdrawls from cymbalta & feel like worst mom in the world. Need help before I lose I mind! Do not want to start back on Cymbalta. Have been on this for many years and went from 60 mg to 30 mg in two weeks then none. Feel like I am losing my mind. Go from yelling to crying to wanting to sleep all the time. This is the most horrible thing I have ever been through and if possible will NEVER go back

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:09 PM

Very new to all of this. Let me start by saying that I have been on cymbalta for 7+ yrs. I also take lamictal and have been taking this for almost a year. I told my dr. that I wanted to try and come off cymbalta b/c of weight gain, sexual side effects, and so on. I went from taking 60 mg once a day for 2 weeks to taking 30 mg for 2 weeks. I stopped completely a week ago today. I don't want to say that I am depressed, but I feel like the most horrible person, especially mom, in the world. I have one child who just turned 7 and I feel like I am the devil. I hurt, want to sleep all the time, cry, and just simply do not know what to do. I absolutely do not want to go back on this med. and I go back to see my dr. in a week. Do these symptoms get "ANY" easier or what can I do to become a normal person? I know it has only been one week without but I cannot stand the person I have become. The highs and lows of this medicine are unreal. Is there any suggestions as to how long I should expect this to go on and is there anything that makes it easier? Please help!!

#23 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 31 May 2010 - 04:12 AM

Hi tmom

Firstly, you are NOT a 'terrible mum'. You are someone who is exhibiting class signs of withdrawal. The best way to resolve it would be to go back ON Cymbalta at say, 15mg, then wean from there but if you do not want to do that.. then buckle up. You are in for a ride.

These drugs chemically alter brain function and it takes time to undo that. It's not about getting the drug out of your system. It's about how long it takes the down-regulated receptors to 'up' regulate. They can fluctuate.

If you want to continue the way you are, you will feel your symptoms for a month or more and they will lessen over that time. HOwever, I have known of people to be off their a/d and be fine for months only to have a bad 'wave' 6 or 7 months out. EVERYONE who has done a quick wean (believe it or not, yours is pretty quick) or gone c/t says the same thing: DON'T. It is far better to do a slow wean and allow the body to adjust slowly.

Whatever you decide, good luck
Junior

#24 Tonibell

Tonibell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • why_joining:
    Withdrawal from Cymbalta

Posted 02 June 2010 - 10:57 AM

Gosh im so relieved to find this message board.
My experience started 3 years ago when I found my mother dead. I just couldnt handle it. I was put on 90 mg of Cymbalta a day as well as 300 mg of Wellabutrin - (and Ambian to sleep) I stopped taking the Wellabutrin and nothing really to report on that.
I have gained 70 lbs over the past 3 years. I eat about the same thing daily- Its not enough to keep this amount of weight on me. I decided 8 days ago to cold turkey stop the Cymbalta. I have been very jumpy and yesterday i got the worst headache ever. I was so bad that I actually threw up. I guess its all the withdrawals. I am on my 8th day and just wondered how much longer till its out of my system.
Thanks for any help-

#25 Ms_M

Ms_M

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • why_joining:
    Am currently going through withdrawals.

Posted 03 June 2010 - 03:54 PM

Gosh im so relieved to find this message board.
My experience started 3 years ago when I found my mother dead. I just couldnt handle it. I was put on 90 mg of Cymbalta a day as well as 300 mg of Wellabutrin - (and Ambian to sleep) I stopped taking the Wellabutrin and nothing really to report on that.
I have gained 70 lbs over the past 3 years. I eat about the same thing daily- Its not enough to keep this amount of weight on me. I decided 8 days ago to cold turkey stop the Cymbalta. I have been very jumpy and yesterday i got the worst headache ever. I was so bad that I actually threw up. I guess its all the withdrawals. I am on my 8th day and just wondered how much longer till its out of my system.
Thanks for any help-

The good news (always good to lead with that, right?) - this will get better. The not-so-good news - there is not a tried and true answer to how long. I was on Cymbalta for just over 18 mos., completely without for 3 weeks, and am just now feeling decent. It was only REALLY bad for about 5 days. The rest of the time I have just had a kind of general malaise about me.

Keep hangin' in!

#26 mtngal

mtngal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am tring to wean myself off Cymbalta

Posted 12 June 2010 - 12:15 AM

Brewster,

#27 mtngal

mtngal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am tring to wean myself off Cymbalta

Posted 12 June 2010 - 12:26 AM

Hello:First time on this forum. I have been on Cymbalta for several years,not to sure how long. Yes I have gained at least 30+ lbs. My energy level is fairly low. My cholestrol is high, I have tried several meds for that, most of them I can't take, the ones I can hasn't lowered it any. I have to take something else to sleep, I had insomnia so bad. Dry mouth is another problem I have, don't know if it is related to cymbalta or not. I am trying to wean myself off, by just pouring out some of the 60 mg. I am gonna do that for one more week, then try to take that amount every other day, to see how that works. The sweating I am having with the cymbalta is awful! I have complained to my Doctor, he didn't seem to have any comment. I am going to continue decreasing my dosage and see what goes. I was put on it for fybromylgia symptoms. Not working for that.

Good luck and best wishes to all of you who are trying to get off the med. Huggs, Mtngal

#28 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 12 June 2010 - 06:14 PM

Hello:First time on this forum. I have been on Cymbalta for several years,not to sure how long. Yes I have gained at least 30+ lbs. My energy level is fairly low. My cholestrol is high, I have tried several meds for that, most of them I can't take, the ones I can hasn't lowered it any. I have to take something else to sleep, I had insomnia so bad. Dry mouth is another problem I have, don't know if it is related to cymbalta or not. I am trying to wean myself off, by just pouring out some of the 60 mg. I am gonna do that for one more week, then try to take that amount every other day, to see how that works. The sweating I am having with the cymbalta is awful! I have complained to my Doctor, he didn't seem to have any comment. I am going to continue decreasing my dosage and see what goes. I was put on it for fybromylgia symptoms. Not working for that.

Good luck and best wishes to all of you who are trying to get off the med. Huggs, Mtngal

Hi Mtngal,

The dry mouth is definitely from the Cymbalta - a real problem for me. Google cymbalta side effects, or check out the leaflet that comes with the drug and you'll see that.

The every other day doesn't work for most people. Whatever you take, make sure you're taking SOME every 24 hours. Have a look through lots of posts and you see that story repeated ad infinitum.

regards, Maureen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users