#1 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 21 March 2010 - 04:29 PM

I've been taking cymbalta for around 6 months, 60mg. I stopped cold turkey a couple of days ago and was a little yet not too concerned. Tonight, i started feeling really dizzy with blurred vision and funny feeling in my head ... 'here comes the withdrawals' i thought. I've heard a lot of horror stories but i don't think 60mg is that high a dose (was taking 90mg but it makes me sleepy which makes me depressed which is why i stopped taking it).

Reason i'm sharing my experience is:

Once the dizziness started i went to lie down and felt awesome! I was giggly, happy, listened to music that sounded extra awesome, body felt good and as if floating gently on water. I had a great time. After a couple of hours i fell asleep and woke an hour later a little sweaty and feeling good, energized, clear head. If anything, i'm kinda bummed out the withdrawal didn't last longer. But, who knows, maybe some unpleasant stuff is still in store for me or another giggle fest?

Hi Frances,

well that's a new one - haven't heard of giggling!

I do hope you're one of the lucky ones who doesn't suffer too much.

I would just say, though, that 60mg seems to be a 'typical' dose. The doses we've seen people on vary from 20mg to 150mg, with the most common being 60mg. Lots of people seem to be able to go from 60mg to 30 without too much difficulty, then struggle with the last 30mg. Many also find that the worst of the withdrawal symptoms don't hit them until nearly a week later. I don't say this to scare you, just to let you know to be prepared and don't be too disappointed if it happens to you.

regards, Maureen.

#2 QueenTimely

QueenTimely

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationItaly, at present. Australia, usually. New York, originally!
  • why_joining:
    I am currently on Cymbalta after many years of other drugs including Zoloft, Wellbutrin and Effexor. I had a terrible experience coming off of Effexor that resulted only in my going back on, then changing to Cymbalta. I feel, at this point, that the drugs are causing as many problems as the initial depression did, and am looking at the possibility of coming off but am living this year in rural Italy and need some real support in considering this possibility and its consequences.

Posted 22 March 2010 - 04:06 AM

Hi Frances -
I hate to be a party pooper, but if you're not feeling that good anymore, don't be surprised. I've gotten a real boost at first when I dropped my Effexor and also when I dropped my dose of Cymbalta. But, unfortunately, neither high lasted. And subsequently, I've seen references to discontinuation syndrome-mania. I don't know anything about it, but I can say I've experienced it -- feeling joyful, blissful, giggly, feeling my energy again, my can-do again, myself again -- but it then fades into whatever else -- discontinuation with diarrhea, funkiness, anxiety, etc.

Keep posting here -- keep us posted.

#3 Nadine

Nadine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationIllinois
  • why_joining:
    wanting to wean off cymbalta<br />taking 120 mg a day

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:10 AM

Hi Frances -
I hate to be a party pooper, but if you're not feeling that good anymore, don't be surprised. I've gotten a real boost at first when I dropped my Effexor and also when I dropped my dose of Cymbalta. But, unfortunately, neither high lasted. And subsequently, I've seen references to discontinuation syndrome-mania. I don't know anything about it, but I can say I've experienced it -- feeling joyful, blissful, giggly, feeling my energy again, my can-do again, myself again -- but it then fades into whatever else -- discontinuation with diarrhea, funkiness, anxiety, etc.

Keep posting here -- keep us posted.

HI well I have tried most of what you have.
Doctor finally gave me cymbalta and no problems
Have been on it much too long and the expense is becoming a problem.
Want to wean off if but I am on 120mg and don't know where to begin.

#4 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 24 May 2010 - 06:13 PM

HI well I have tried most of what you have.
Doctor finally gave me cymbalta and no problems
Have been on it much too long and the expense is becoming a problem.
Want to wean off if but I am on 120mg and don't know where to begin.

The general consensus is that you should come off these drugs slowly. From what I've learnt on here in the last 9 months, chances are you won't have too much problem getting down to 60 or 30 mg, but may have to go more slowly from there.

MY OPINION ONLY is that if I were you, I'd start by reducing it to 90 mg per day (if you only have 60mg capsules, you can open them and put half of the beads in each half of the capsule, and stuff a bit of bread in each end to make two x 30mg), then wait two weeks before deciding your next drop, which would be based on how your body coped with the drop to 90mg.

regards, Maureen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users