• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCali
  • why_joining:
    Curently on day 6 of stopping "cold turkey"
    Just looking for some support.

Posted 04 April 2010 - 10:57 PM

New to this site and wish I would have found it sooner. I have been on Cymbalta for 9 months after
being on Zoloft and Wellbutrin for years on a mininal dose. I am ending day 6 of "Cold Turkey". It is painful
I have been fustrated for awhile that I have not gotten any better. Still depressed, lethargic and on a drug that if I miss my dose by 3 or 4 hrs, I would get headaches, and what I have come to know as "Brain Zaps". So last week I decided since my script ran out I needed to get a baseline of how I feel on just my diabeties meds.
Symptoms were felt quickly. Ab pain, Zaps, joints ache, migrane headaches, loose bowels and all around irritability.
Mornings and Evenings are worst. Brain Zaps have started to be accompanied by a twitch. Still will cry just driving down the street.Just tired of taking these meds from docs who push these drugs.
Did some yard work yesterday and if felt good to sweat. Music always gets me through rough times. On the brightside my lost sense of taste is hopefully returning. A small victory but at this point I hope it's true.
I appreciate finding sites as this. Peace be with you all
Doob

#2 Doob

Doob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCali
  • why_joining:

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:16 PM

Day 8
Day 7 ended well. Felt good-smiling (wife commented on that). Still had head aches dizzyness and brain zaps but compared to the first week. I felt better. Slept well.
Day 8 came on like gangbusters. A run to the bathroom was followed by some of the worst ab pain and brain zaps I have ever felt. Emotional instability put me back in bed as I cried for an hour or so with a general feeling of detachment and dread. Sat down and eventually did some yard work. had lunch.
Headed to a Angels game with my brother and his family. Tho I am somewhat aprehensive.
There is light at the end of this tunnel. Is it worth feeling like this?
I think it is.
Peace
Doob

#3 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    I am a sufferer of depression and GAD.

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:22 PM

Hi Doob

Going off an a/d is not the recommended way. Not even by the drug companies themselves. One way to lessen your symptoms would be to go back ON Cymbalta, wait a week or so, then taper slowly.

If you prefer not to, then buckle up, because you are in for a rough ride. I went cold turkey from 60mg and on Day 4 got the same abdo pain you have described. I found I couldn't eat at first, for fear of throwing up. Then I introduced a very bland diet for a few days. After that I was gradually able to return to my normal diet. Then I had hypomania and extreme insomnia. I don't know how much of that was from coming off Cymbalta per se - as I was only on it for 19 days - and how much was due to not having been off a/ds for over 11 yrs.

Whatever you decide, I wish you all the best.
Junior

#4 Doob

Doob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCali
  • why_joining:

Posted 08 April 2010 - 01:39 AM

Day 9
Went to the Angels game with my brother last nite. Some dizzyness and pain but overall I was not overwhelmed. Still had Zapps and
some pain but bearable. I was fine until that "Rally Monkey" showed up.
Slept well, got up early to drive to SD about an hour away. Usual zaps and ab pain in morning but subsided after brekfast.
I have been watching my food closely this week. On Cymbalta my sugars were constantly elevated. Since stopping they have come down to manageable levels. Had a good easy drive to SD. Had lunch with a friend and took care of some business. Usual pains, zaps, headaches not as intense. Best day in a year.
Things are getting better but I am still hurtin.

Has anyone developed a twitch or affect in conjuction with a brain zap?

Peace out!
Doob

#5 Doob

Doob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCali
  • why_joining:

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:02 PM

Day 11- Have had a good couple of days. Emotionaly I haven't cried in 3 days. For me that feels good.
Some irritability, nice discussion on a 3 dollar blanket that lasted way to long with me but we were able to get
through it with both of us feeling better. So these moments of "clarity" give me hope. Oh yea I have only watched one hour of television in 2 days!!!
Now for the dark side.
Physicaly I am hurtin. For the last 2 days Every joint hurts, cramps and muscle spasams. Got up at 3 with cramps on my shins. Ab pain, my tops of my feet were killing me. Brain Zaps and Headaches -moderate to heavy.
But I keep to my regime of watching my blood sugar and staying hydrated. Been meditating again. A little difficult at first but eventually things get quiet. And of course a few hours of guitar playing and puppy raising is good for the soul.
Progress is being made.
It's work tho.
Peace

Doob

#6 Doob

Doob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCali
  • why_joining:

Posted 11 April 2010 - 12:06 AM

Day 12
Wow. What a glorious day. Way to early to declare victory but " Damn I felt pretty good today". Familia helps so much. Lot's of neices nephews and close family today. Execept for some zaps and minor aches and pains and headaches I was very centered.
It feels so good to be able to express myself again. One of my most debilitating symptoms for me was crying jags that were set off by the smallest hit of emotion. Could be rage could be happiness but it was 2 much. No crying in 4 days. I have come to the brink a couple of times in the last couple of days but have complete control over it again. Well OK maybe not complete. Not even close but there is a control mechinism there. ;) But I do love my family and have been missing some events.(Not fit for public viewing)
Blood sugar has been in line.
Taking some flax seed (2x daily), Metformin for my diabeties and lovaza (perscricption fish oil).
Lots of water, some green tea instead of coffee.
Sleep has been good and I am not oversleeping. Have been getting up at a fairly decent hour. Before 8am.
I have been reading alot of posts and hope everyone can find a path through this mess.
Gonna rain tomorrow. Let's see what is up.
There is hope. All I know is I am thinking again. And I am off what I call the "Devil's Pop Rocks".
Peace
Doob

#7 Doob

Doob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCali
  • why_joining:

Posted 12 April 2010 - 11:19 PM

Day 13
Very mild symptoms. no real physical pain. I would consider them just to be aches
Mild brain zaps all day. No real headaches.
Feeling very clear. Starting to interact with family and friends.
Since I do not trust this drug. I am still watching my food (sugar), staying hydrated, flax seed and something to focus on.
I play guitar and am currently raising pups (6wks).
Havent cried in 5 days.
Stay the course.
Share your thoughts with family and friends. Finding this board and sharing it with family has helped alot.
You think no one can relate. Until they read it from other people.
I thank you all for helping me find my path through this mess.

Peace out
Doob

#8 Doob

Doob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCali
  • why_joining:

Posted 14 April 2010 - 11:38 PM

Days 14/15-
As I suspected this drug is not ready to let me go. Woke up irritable and with brain zaps. Some joint / ab pain. Felt worse in afternoon and spent a couple of hours naping on the couch. I did not have the energy I had had even 3 days ago.
Still very emotional but no crying jags and my thinking has been good. Slept well. Did not meditate, blood sugar on upper range of normal - not much of an appitite.
Today started the same but had much more drama in it. Still achy and sweaty. Involved in family /custody issues. Even tho I am not feeling good physically. And really these symtoms are minor compared to the first week and a half. I was able to recognise when things were not going well for me and i was able to deal in a rational way. I will take that over feeling perfect. (No crying in 8 days). Overall regaining the trust and love with my family has been filling a void that was not possible while on this drug.
I still know I am on the back side of this withdrawl. Maybe one of the hardest things I have ever done. (20 yr Vet)
Brain zaps most of the day.
It is a brighter day.

Doob

#9 Doob

Doob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCali
  • why_joining:

Posted 26 April 2010 - 10:02 PM

Day 26
This site gives me plenty of support but today was a rough day.
After a week of feeling very good and in a much better space, Today was hell.
Massive Migranes for most of the day. Slept away most of the day to no avail.
Still have a massive headace. Checked my blood sugar and it was fine.
Hope everyone is doing well.
Peace
Doob

#10 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 26 April 2010 - 11:46 PM

Day 26
This site gives me plenty of support but today was a rough day.
After a week of feeling very good and in a much better space, Today was hell.
Massive Migranes for most of the day. Slept away most of the day to no avail.
Still have a massive headace. Checked my blood sugar and it was fine.
Hope everyone is doing well.
Peace
Doob

Hang in there ... :)

Cheers, Maureen.

#11 Doob

Doob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCali
  • why_joining:

Posted 30 April 2010 - 12:35 PM

Hang in there ... :)

Cheers, Maureen.

Thanks Maureen,
Day 29
After 2 days of headaches and body aches, I feel great.
Beautiful days here in SoCal. No headaches,mininal brain zaps. Sleeping well
I pray that the "alien" attached to my brain stem has "detached" it self. B)
I know this is not over but I feel the worst has passed.
All I know is that I am alive again. And I will not take another AD.
The void I felt on this drug was where my life was supposed to go.
I no longer sit in front of the TV for hours a day. I don't cry at the drop of a hat. (20 days).
Really want to get back to work as I have been unemployed for over a year.
Not yet a success story but working on it.
Could not have done it without this site and finding it and sharing on it have been a god send.
I Thank You all.
Peace and Love,Peace and Love,
Doob

"First the sun will shine, See how bright the day" :D

#12 Doob

Doob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCali
  • why_joining:

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:52 PM

Day 32
All is well. Almost ready to consider this over but at least most of the physical and mental pain have left.
After the headaches early last week I have had very few brain zaps or headaches. None today.
Today would have floored me a month or so ago. Dealing with the bank and people would have left me in the car crying my ass off. Today it was jump in the truck and take care of business. Now to deal with the turmoil of my "year of discontent".
Close so close. Hang in there peeps. No matter how you get there there is a brighter day.
And good people to get you through it.
Peace Out
Doob

#13 Sierragal

Sierragal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • why_joining:
    Getting off Cymbalta

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:03 PM

Thats terrific Doob!! :D
I am now crossing into day 23.. Headaches now, nausea more pronounced than ever but overall not feeling to terribly bad.

#14 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future I would like to stop cymbalta

Posted 04 May 2010 - 09:57 PM

Good for you Doob!!!
I´m glad there is a bright light after all this suffering. Congrats.
C.

#15 Doob

Doob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCali
  • why_joining:

Posted 10 May 2010 - 11:44 AM

Day 37
Sorry for not posting. (Doesn't mean I am not reading tho.)
Most of my symptoms have gone. Very mild brain zaps every few days.
Still have some bowel issues. But I have not felt this good in years.
Engaged in all aspects of my life at the moment. Just trying to repair the
damage I have done over the past 2 years of being a guinne pig for drug companies.
With all the pain out there I just want to tell you all that when you emerge from this
reborn. I have some interviews this week. I really want to get back 2 work.
My pups are 9wks and are leaving one at a time. Weird but they helped me through this.
I will miss them but am keeping one.
Compassion people, Be good to each other. Just trying to let negative things/people/thoughts go. (Hell it is hard enough trying just to identify them)
I have wasted enough time being the neg one. Let it go.
Tanks for listening.
Peace
Doob

#16 Doob

Doob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCali
  • why_joining:

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:58 PM

It has been about 42 days.
I have never felt better. Still have the occassional brain zap and I stumble every now and then.
But now it is days between occurances.
Emotionally I am fine. It has been over a month since I have cried uncontrollably.
Attended a good friends wedding this weekend. Couldn't have done that even 2 months ago.
My relationship with my wife and family has never been stronger.
Lost everything but am in a much better place now. I guess I didn't need "everything"
Found a home here tho. I thank you all for reading and all who post keep posting.
Found homes for 3 of my pups also. And we have a new addition by keeping one.
I think that raising them during my withdrawl helped so much. They needed me.

Peace and Love
Doob

#17 Doob

Doob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCali
  • why_joining:

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:58 PM

Thats terrific Doob!! :D
I am now crossing into day 23.. Headaches now, nausea more pronounced than ever but overall not feeling to terribly bad.

How are you?

#18 Bon Bon 54

Bon Bon 54

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am on day 4 of weaning off cymbalta.

Posted 18 May 2010 - 06:51 AM

hi..I learned a lot reading your story today. What dosage did you go cold turkey from? I was on 60 mg. Six days ago went down to 30. I didn't take any today which is day 7. I am bracing for the worst but hoping for the best. I, too am on metformin which i have had to double since being on cymbalta. I have been on cymbalta for a year for fibromyalgia and depression. it helped the fibro but not the other. I just want to think clear and be me.
Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bon bon

#19 Doob

Doob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCali
  • why_joining:

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:54 PM

Hey Bon bon,
Yea this drug really plays havoc with your blood sugar. When I was on Cymbalta my blood sugar levels where quite high.
I stopped the cymbalta and am only taking my metformin and Lovaza which is a Omega 3. Monitor your blood sugar, stay hydrated. Try and think your way through situations vice just reacting. That's when things start getting clear.
Good Luck. We are watching and reading everyday. Share what you feel. I couldn't verbalize my feelings for a long time.
Peace
Doob

#20 Ms_M

Ms_M

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • why_joining:
    Am currently going through withdrawals.

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:59 AM

I am glad that there does seem to be hope... Right now I think I have had the worst of this, but who knows? Thank you for the updates, Doob. It is a real help.

#21 Bon Bon 54

Bon Bon 54

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:01 AM

hey Doob,
you mentioned medical marajuana. My son is an advocate of the natural herb and has encouraged me to medicate for the severe pain of fibromyalgia. My earlier experiences with it were not good..a bad feeling of being out of control. But with no cymbalta, fibro pain has already starting to return. i live in canada and know one person who has a script for it for pain. I am just examining my options for the future. Now i am concentrating on getting through withdrawal of cymbalta.
Any advice would be appreciated. I am 54, son is 31.
thanks,
Bon bon

#22 Bon Bon 54

Bon Bon 54

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:46 PM

Thanks for the advice Doob. I will probably not go there...but my son gave me some just in case the pain of the fibro returns and is unbearable. His enthusiasum for it has decreased lately and has said the same thing as you did..'i can see an end to it'. I have to say i have really missed having a drink while on cymbalta. I abstained after reading the horror stories how cymbalta is hard on your liver so stay away from drinking while on it. I heeded the warning but can't help looking forward to having a drink in the future.
Take care,
Bon

#23 MenaLeigh

MenaLeigh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • why_joining:
    bead counter

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:07 PM

Hey Doob!

glad to see you are doing well! well except for your cold of course!
it's liberating to be off this mess lemme tell ya.. lol..

Later gator
Leigh

#24 TimC97124

TimC97124

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • why_joining:
    Taking Cymbalta for 4 years has taken it's toll and now I need to get off of it.

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:11 PM

Doob:
Thanks for putting your story out here. You are a great encouragement. And thanks for serving our great country. Man, you're a hero.
TimC

#25 perL

perL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationSouth Central Indiana USA
  • why_joining:
    Stopped Cymbalta cold turkey

Posted 06 September 2010 - 07:16 PM

TimC wrote:

"Doob:
Thanks for putting your story out here. You are a great encouragement. And thanks for serving our great country. Man, you're a hero.
TimC"

Ditto from me, Doob. I'm new here today. It's day 6 for me. I have the nausea, the runs and the mood swings you describe among what I'm experiencing. So far only two days of headache at the beginning, but that may be back because I have a history of "I'd ask you to shoot me if I could talk" migraines. You are a great encouragement.

#26 musicnut

musicnut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • why_joining:
    Have been on Cymbalta and want to get off. Would like to share experiences.

Posted 07 September 2010 - 02:27 PM

I just found this site and don't know if I'm excited or scared. I'm on day 5 of cold turkey withdrawals. I feel horrible today. My whole body aches and I feel so disoriented. So far I haven't experienced brain zaps as people have been described... I'm thankful for that. I feel the stomach churning and didn't know that was part of the withdrawals until reading this.

I don't have insurance so I go to a clinic where I can't get an appointment just anytime I want. I can't see a Dr until next month. What is best? Do I continue my withdrawals for get back on it until I see the Dr? My side effects when I was on it were bad, but I don't know if it was this bad. I hope someone reads this soon to give me some guidance. I'm really miserable right now and doing all I can to work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users