13 replies to this topic

#1 todayIstheDay

todayIstheDay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 12:46 AM

I am not sure which topic to post to.

I have been on Cymbalta for over 2 years. I was having some family problems and getting therapy through a LCSW who I was referred to by my MD. She diagnosed me with Generalized Anxiety Disorder and called my MD and recommended anti-anxiety meds. Dr. prescribed Cymbalta, 120 mg. (The real problem I was experiencing was not an anxiety disorder, but having to being married to a mama's boy who's mother is evil, which I have now learned to cope with after changing therapists twice.) After the problems with the evil mother in law were put in their place, my husband got very ill and I had to cope with that. I really think that I coped well. I usually do fine with stress. I simply needed advice on how to deal with a narcissist.

So, now 2 years later, I weigh 75 pounds more. I feel weak all the time and often have a bad taste in my mouth. I also have very strange dreams. Although I have gained lots of weight, I don't eat very much. In fact, my appetite is low. I get a "full" feeling very quickly. I also have been having more body odor than normal. The Dr. has not found any cause for any of these symptoms. My sleep patterns have gone totally wierd. For instance, I am up now and not sleepy at all. If I go to bed, I'll be back up. But cannot get up in the mornings. Before Cymbalta, I could get to sleep whenever I wanted and get up whenever I wanted to. This I had not mentioned to my therapist because I figured that she would tell me to go to bed earlier even if not sleepy and that does not work for me. Now I wonder if that could also be Cymbalta?

I approached her with perhaps it's the cymbalta because I read that it can cause weight gain.

She was open-minded. Her suggestion is that I take it every other day for two weeks, then quit taking it altogheter. If having trouble with it, to call her. I think I shall call her Monday. On the off days, I feel worse each of them and not better. On those days, I do have my appetite back -- with a vengeance. I can't keep out of the fridge. By the end of the day, I am shaky, dizzy, headachy and feel my heart racing. I took some Tylenol for the headache. I also had a night when I could not get to sleep, had "night sweats", then when I finally did get to sleep had absolute nightmares. I also had some unsettled stomach that a little dairy seemed to settle. Also, the bottoms of my feet are hurting. I remembered that at the same visit that I was first put on meds, I told my Dr. about pains that I have in my feet. She said it was Plantar faciaitis. I sort of thought that wearing better shoes had helped with that. Now I wonder if it was the cymbalta dulling that pain. Or if it's the weight that is making the pain come back.

I can say that all of my symptoms have been physical. Not mental. I have not felt any mood changes from what I was feeling before.

Tomorrow (Saturday) is supposed to be another "off" day. I will give it one more try.

I did read on this site that every other day and tapering off too quickly is problematic. I did read about the Benedryl. Not sure if I should try that since I am already on Allegra for allergies. Another question for MD on Monday.

I know that I listed a lot of things in this post. Do any or all of them sound like they are from Cymbalta or from Cymbalta withdrawal? Are there any that are simply coincidental? Should I go back to my dosage until I can speak to my Dr again?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give. I hope that I posted to the right section of the forum.

#2 Sarah J

Sarah J

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 07:25 AM

Welcome. Glad that you signed up to talk about this. First, many people experience no problems when coming off of Cymbalta, I hope that you are one of them. It is very individual so go into this open minded knowing that you will probably have a different version of normal that others here do.

Taking the Cymbalta every other day essentially puts you into withdrawal every other day. I don't think any of us here had the every other day method work for them. Is your dose still 120 mg/day? You may want to talk to your doctor about dropping down SLOWLY. Two years is a good bit of time to have this in your system. Did you ever feel strange when you were late with your dose or missed one? If so, it may benefit you to take your normal dose until you speak with your doctor.

I don't think that your symptoms sound coincidental. When I came off of Cymbalta, I did notice that parts of me "hurt" more than normal. Some are prescribed Cymbalta for fibromyalgia and pain disorders.

120mg/day is a large dose. Make sure your doctor knows the capsules come in 60, 30 and 20, some don't.

Again, some people can come off this stuff no problem, but it is so good that you came here before starting to withdrawal. I am sure many others here would not recommend the every other day dosing method. Only you and your doctor can decide what is best for you.

Let us know how you are doing.

#3 todayIstheDay

todayIstheDay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 12:39 PM

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, I do feel that I am having physical problems from the withdrawal, but so far not emotional mental ones.

It seems like the dizziness comes earlier each day. It used to be that if I forgot one, I'd start feeling dizzy late in the afternoon. Today is my fourth "off" day, and I started feeling dizzy around 1pm. It seemed like my evening symptoms came stronger each day too. It surprised me that I was having symptoms. But day before yesterday, I was feeling really dizzy late in the day, and had the stomach, headache, night sweats, etc. that I mentioned. And my foot is hurting again too. I'll give it a couple more hours, but I will definitely call my Dr. Monday. Or do you think I should give it up until I can speak to my physician and go ahead and take one now? No matter what, I'll be sure not to drive today!

She did tell me to call her if I had any problems because she had other things to try. She is generally a very good Dr, so I have faith that somehow we can work this out. She is one who sticks with things if the first thing doesn't work.

#4 Sarah J

Sarah J

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 12:56 PM

Good to hear you have a great doctor who will listen to you. It does sound like you are experiencing withdrawals.

I am not a doctor, but Cymbalta has a short half life, I think something like 14 hours, so your body is "looking" for it when it does not have it. And 120 mg is a very large daily dose.

If you are not feeling well, dizzy, confused and such, you may talk to your doctor about dropping down to a lower dose to help you wean correctly.

And if you feel really bad over the weekend, since you are just beginning the weaning process, you may wish to take some, if not all of your normal daily dose. I am assuming that they don't make 120mg capsules, so perhaps it could help you to take a 60 to lessen the dizziness. You are the one who knows your body and what is bearable, but if you do every other day, you will feel this way, every other day.

It is not that your doctor is an idiot, but with some other anti-depressants, they do stay in your body for a couple of days, and it is tolerable for people to wean on every other day doses, just not Cymbalta it's out quick and your body is looking for more!

#5 todayIstheDay

todayIstheDay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 01:12 PM

Thanks again. It is 60 and not 120. I don't even know where I got that number from, other than being slightly ADD as well!

I think I shall go and get one in a few minutes since I am already feeling dizzy,my foot is hurting, and I am not due my next one until tomorrow morning.

Then I'll talk to my Dr. on Monday. The only reason that we discussed going off of it is my unexplainable weight gain (she's checked for diabetes, thyroid, etc.), but from what I read on this board, some other more vague symptoms I have experienced can also be from the Cymbalta. I had originally attributed the vagues symptoms and weight gain to age, thinking I could be pre-menopausal (late 40s), but MD said that was not it and did tests that ruled out the other things that I mentioned in the last post as well. She is very unusual in that she is open minded about things instead of having the attitude that her diagnosis is the only possibility and that's that.

I haven't seen my counselor in a couple months, but I will leave her a phone message as to what's going on as well. She is great too.
She is the third one that I got, but is the only one who had a handle on why I was there. If she had been my first counselor, I would not have been on Cymbalta (due to my second one) and I would not have almost gotten a divorce (due to some really stupid suggestions from my first counselor). I should have followed my gut, because the first two did seem wrong to me. The one I have now made sense and working with her has gotten things back in order. She had a way of stating things that seemed so obvious that I wondered why I didn't realize them before.

#6 schmb01

schmb01

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 04:02 PM

I had the same problems with sleep while taking Cymbalta; I would be up most nights, and then just collapse and sleep 12-14 hours, and along with that, have the lovely night sweats, which I attributed to starting menopause. I'm on day 13 of zero, and I haven't had the sweats even once since I stopped taking it. I also now hurt in places that didn't use to hurt before taking it, so yes, some of the same things that you describe.

Every other day on this does not work, and will make it so much worse. A slow taper is the only way to go, and it sounds like your doctor is open to ideas, so you may want to read some of what others are doing, and take them with you to your next appt.

Good Luck!

#7 todayIstheDay

todayIstheDay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 10:28 PM

I have a progress report. I may be luckier than some. My Dr. did give me an alternate taper schedule. There were a couple times that I waited a little longer for the next step if something stressful was coming up.

My last 20mg capsule was on Mother's day, May 11. I did and have continued to have some symptoms, but not unbearable.

I was getting dizziness but less and less of the time. I also have had a sour taste in my mouth. I hear a buzz in my ears occasionally, and even less occasionally, I sometimes hear something in my left ear that sounds like water running for about 5 seconds.

My original reason for going on Cymbalta was GAD. Dr. agrees that a single dose of Xanax at a stressful time would be more appropriate for me, since I don't have addictive behaviors. In fact, I had to be talked into the Cymbalta (regret that now).

My original reason for stopping was that I was researching online some new medical problems that I had and looking for connections. I had gotten very weak and was found to have a vitamin B12 deficiency. I never found anything connecting that with Cymbalta, but when putting some of my other symptoms in, I found that weight gain could be one. I gained approx 60 pounds on Cymbalta, over 3 years.

Since coming off of Cymbalta, I have gained some more weight. Sometimes I also get a bad taste in my mouth. I also notice that I am getting dizzy, but somehow I observed that it was after eating sugary items. It made me wonder if I have developed diabetes (my last bloodwork said not). If so, could this be due to the Cymbalta, or simply the weight gain?

Recently, I have gotten where I have no energy and feel weak all the time, but it could be from carrying all of this extra weight around. I'm tempted to try SlimQuick for a few weeks, but again, I don't really like drugs. But I'm desparate to get this weight off. But I don't have the energy to exercise.

I notice that things "get to" me more now than they had for a while. I don't think that the amount is inappropriate. I think that the Cymbalta just numbed my emotions. Isn't appropriate to feel upset when something bad happens, as long as that upset is not out of proportion?

The last thing that I have noticed has to do with my foot. When I went to my Dr. on the trip that she first prescribed anti-anxiety meds for me (Lexapro first), I also told her about some foot pain I had been having for a while. She diagnosed me with Plantar Faciatis. She suggested that I only wear New Balance running shoes, it may take care of itself without other treatment. It worked. Or so I thought. Since off of the Cymbalta that pain has returned. That also, I did not make the connection until researching how Cymbalta is used as a pain med. So, I now wonder if it was the Cymbalta and not the running shoes that fixed my foot. (Again, there is also the weight gain which could also be causing the foot pain to come back.)

I am starting to believe what I read somewhere else that this drug just numbs down everything in the brain. I sure don't like it. And with all the symptoms that getting off of it cause, I don't think this is something that belongs in my body.

I am pretty sure from reading the previous postings here that my strange sleep pattern and weight gain could be from Cymbalta. I also have a good idea that my foot pain returning may be that the Cymbalta masked the pain.

It seems to me that it's bad to mask pain in such a way. Aren't physical pains like this our body's way of telling us that there is something wrong that needs attention? Attention in that a fix for the problem, not a pill to make the pain go away?

Do all of these symptoms sound like Cymbalta, or am I putting 1 and 1 together and getting 3?
Could the dizziness and taste in my mouth be Cymbalta withdrawal? Diabetes? Both? Can Cymbalta cause diabetes? Can Cymbalta mask diabetes?
Can Cymbalta cause Vitamin B12 deficiency (my original reason for the research)?

Thanks for reading if you got this far. You are all great.

#8 schmb01

schmb01

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 11:44 PM

I don't know if it causes a vitamin b12 deciciency, and I'm curious as to what your level is. I had blood work done in January, and my level was 316. 200-1200 is normal, so that is quite a range, but, between 200-400 can cause what they call neuro-psychiatric symptoms. (See the nutrition section for the b12 post) I tend to think that when I was on Cymbalta, because I just didn't care about anything, I stopped eating well, didn't get outside, and didn't take my multi vitamins. Now, if Lily ever discovered that it causes a b12 deciciency, we would be the last to know it.

b12 deciciency can cause many, many negative effects. Again, check out that link, and I also ordered the book, "Could it be B12?" It was very informative. Are you getting intramuscular shots or using sublingual tabs? Orally will likely do you no good.

I was also found to have a vitamin D deciciency, which can cause body aches.

But yes, to answer your questions, Cymbalta does mask pain, but I think many hear would tell you that coming off of it CAUSES pain. Most here are suffering pretty nasty aches and pains, some described as flu like symptoms.

Please read through some more posts, and I think you will find a common theme between what you are feeling, and what others have gone through. Still, it doesn't hurt to have a full physical, have a full blood panel done, and make sure something else isn't going on.

I'm glad you are off of this drug, and hang in there, because it really does get better. There are also many useful tips in the nutrition section that may help you. Just remember, as Jeff here says, it is not you, it is the drug.

Babby

#9 todayIstheDay

todayIstheDay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 12:19 AM

Thank you so much for your posts.

My B12 was BELOW 200 -- 150 or so. I am taking monthly injections for that. The Dr. informed me that she recommends B12 injections in the range that you mention. I think she said below 400 or below 500, I don't remember. But she said that she recommends them for people low within the normal range and mine was WAY below.

I have a really good MD. When I reported my lack of energy and weight problems, she checked me for diabetes, thyroid, and B12. This was last August. I have been taking B12 injections since. Taking them in the Dr. office has given me good access to Dr. She's in a private practice, not a group, so sometimes she even gives the shot.

I have read about many of the problems that B12 deficiency can cause and feel lucky that my Dr. found it. I also read that it is rarely checked for unless someone has a low red blood count, because 95% of people with B12 def. have decreased red blood count. My red blood count and iron are always very good. Like I said in the earlier post, despite having talked me into Cymbalta (with urging of LCSW), she is very good.

It's interesting to know that the blood sugar may be affected. I will continue to stay away from the sugars for a while. I will take the advice to stay away from Diet Aids. That's not my style anyway.

I will remain curious if there is a link between the Cymbalta and the reduced B12, but as you say, I may never find out.

And here I am wide awake in the middle of the night when I should be sleeping, once again.

#10 schmb01

schmb01

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 09:03 AM

Wow, your level was low! I wonder, once you are past the withdrawal, and your levels are back to a normal range, how you will feel emotionally. You may have been suffering depression related to low b12 levels, and the shots could bring you back around. It sounds like you have an amazing doctor, becuase not many even check for b12.

I had a really hard time sleeping at the beginning and still so from time to time, and I have found that drinking sleepytime tea helps me. They also make an "extra" version that has a small dose of valerian, which is what I use, and it helps me a lot. Some nights I also take a melatonin supplement, but again, I would check with your doctor on those.

Take Care, and keep us posted.

Babby

#11 schmb01

schmb01

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 08:02 PM

Zapie, I sure hope you have read some other posts here, about things you can be doing to ease your discomfort. Cold turkey is a hellish way to go, but there are some things that can help you.

Please look under the "Weaning off of Cymbalta" section, and read some things there. If you have any questions, please ask. We have all been through what you are feeling, and will be happy to help you through this rough time. It can be pretty overwhelming.

Babby

#12 schmb01

schmb01

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 01:49 PM

Unfortunately you don't absorb much vitamin B orally if you have a true deficiency. The intramuscular shots are recommended for levels 200 or below, (I just discussed this with my doctor last week), but you do get more from sub lingual tabs. Very cheap, like $11 for 1000 mcg tabs, 60 of them, at GNC.

It is worth persuing with levels around 200 or less, because the impact to multiple systems in the body can be huge if this isn't addressed. (This is another of my latest passions, because it goes so undiagnosed, and so untreated for many people)

Now I will stop ranting about it! :oops:

#13 schmb01

schmb01

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 05:26 PM

I guess I shouldn't oversimplify this. MOST people that have really low levels have what is called pernicious anemia, and it is worsened because your stomach is missing something called intrinsic factor, which you need in order to metabolize b12. When you take say 1000 mcg orally, if your intrinsic factor is out of whack, you are actually only absorbing like 10 mcg, (not exactly sure of that number, but it isn't enough to boost the level back to normal) Using the sublingual tabs, you are absorbing it directly into your blood stream, so taking a 1000 mcg tab, you are likely getting most of it absorbed.

Under the nutrition section there is a seperate heading for b12, that refers to the book that I'm reading. My Mom had pernicious anemia when she was younger, so I was concerned about it. Also, about a year ago, my son in law's grandmother, who is normally a very dynamic and active elderly woman, became very depressed, confused, was falling down, and became severely anemic. After rounds and rounds of tests, they FINALLY tested her b 12 level, did some other tests that go along with it, and found that she bad pernicious anemia, and was severely deficient in b 12. She began the intramuscular shots, and after about 2 months, was back to being the vibrant woman she once was.

One symptom of b12 is also depression and neruo psychiatric disorders. The people that wrote this book make the point that if you have low levels, and have some of these symptoms, why not have an inexpensive test done, and perhaps be taken care of without toxic meds running in your system. They aren't selling anything, (except the book) she is a nurse, and he is a doctor, and she was misdiagnosed for years, which is why they are so passionate about it.

For myself, if I can take care of myself, and any potential return of depression by getting my vital nutrients in balance, I'm sure going to do that, and I feel strongly enough about it to be pushy here too. No, we probably don't all have the deficiency, and no, b12 is not a magic bullet, but we have all suffered either from depression, withdrawal or both, and if there is even a chance that it is attributed to b12, then I say check it out. ;)

#14 todayIstheDay

todayIstheDay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 11:47 PM

For my B12 deficiency, (below 200) my Dr. did diagnose me with Pernicious Anemia, but I've never had the intrinsic factor test. She said that it's too expensive and wouldn't prove anything as I need B12 injections regardless of the outcome. I may ask her about it again after the Cymbalta withdrawal is over, because I am curious. But I did have a great-aunt who was diagnosed with Pernicious Anemia.

Idon't think the B12 was the cause of my problems. I went onto Cymbalta at recommendation from a LCSW I was seeing. I was seeing the SW due to some extra stress that I was under. The SW thought that an anti-anxiety med would help. I was cautious, but things were really bad in my life at the time. I t actually suffering clinical depression or clinical anxiety, just more than usual stress. I feel that trying to pretend that you are ill when you aren't lessens the plight of those who actually are.

The situation was that my evil Mother in Law almost broke up our marriage due to her actions. My husband would not go to counseling, but I found a SW who taught me how to make him put me first and believe me. The situation still exists, but husband now has his priorities less out of line. I seriously doubt that a not yet diagnosed B12 deficiency would cause evil MIL to pull out her talons. And now this med is just one more thing that I have to dislike her for, even though it's only indirectly her fault.

Incidentally, the LCSW who helped me was not the same one who recommended to my Doc that I go on meds. That one ended up not being much help at all. At my last visit to her she said that it sounded like I was doing all of the right things. Which of course wasn't the case or I would have not needed to be there.

I keep thinking that I am about over the withdrawal then tonight I am feeling it again. I get a strange numb sensation in my mouth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users