Debbie M.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • why_joining:
    weaning from cymbalta

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:46 PM

I ended up taking 4 grains today. I felt a slight brain zap this morning. I have also been crying on and off all day. I know now I shouldnt have dropped from 15 to 7 grains. I am shocked on one hand and not surprised at all on the other. Cymbalta just so effects my system.

I used to feel like maybe I needed an antidepressant because of the withdrawal symptoms but that went away when the the side effects of withdrawal went away. Now that I'm feeling the withdrawal again, that old skeptical voice is back in my head. What I should do is take one more grain to equal 5 and stay there until my emotions level out. After all this time Cymbalta still amazes me. And not in a good way.

Deb :(

#32 Debbie M.

Debbie M.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • why_joining:
    weaning from cymbalta

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:25 PM

I stopped completely at 1mg, and if I had my time over again, I'd wean off that as well.

The symptoms were mild, it was just unnecessary to deal with them.

At three weeks I realized I hadn't had any brain zaps for a few days (and never had another).

Great to see so many supporting each other here in the last month or so. It's been along haul for me, after being free of Cymbalta I hung around because there seemed to be too few available to give information.

I specifically looked at your post though, to see where you're at.

Good Luck.

Maureen.

Thanks Maureen, It means a lot to me to hear you are following my posts. It means alot whenever there is a comment. Maybe because I feel so alone in this journey and its comforting to know someone out there understands or is at least listening.
I can't belive how emotional this day is. Just can't wait until I level out..
Deb

#33 Debbie M.

Debbie M.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • why_joining:
    weaning from cymbalta

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:20 PM

I took 5 beads again today. A small head ache after I eat a piece of cake. Its my daughtes 10 th day today. It mght have been the sugar as I have been sugar and flour free for 4 days. I teared up a couple times today when thinking about cheesy things. So emotions are still high. But better than yesterday. Will take 4 grains tomorrow.

#34 Debbie M.

Debbie M.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • why_joining:
    weaning from cymbalta

Posted 25 July 2010 - 02:11 AM

4 grains today and felt good. Lost a little weight . That always help with a good mood. No side effect from weaning. Will take 3 tomorrow. :rolleyes:
Deb

#35 keirsey66

keirsey66

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • why_joining:
    I have been on Cymbalta for years because of fibromyalgia and it worked for depression. My dosage was increased to 120 mg about months ago. I recently changed jobs and moved, which has been both exciting and scary, but this past week I had some family down to visit and never got my script refilled. After i realized that I was having withdrawal symptoms I decided that I wanted to be off this drug now. <br /><br />I am on day 5 and it has been hell! I thought that I could go cold turkey but after reading some of the other posts i realized that it is not doable for me. So I am going to get the script refilled today and start the weaning process. <br /><br />I am wondering what dosage to put myself back on to start the weaning process? I was on 120 mg but I am not sure if I should go right back to that doasge (fear of getting sick for taking too high of a dosage). Any suggestions?

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:38 AM

Wendy, Your experience sounds like some I have heard of in the past. Not knowing what to expect when reducing so quickly and not having a professional know how to help you is a tragedy. This makes me so angry. People are thinking they are completely insane and are scared as the pysical withdrawal is so violent on the bod as well as the mind.
I can hardly stand the pain you have been thought and are going through now. The way your doc advised you to get off Cymbalta has thrown your body into complete shock. If you are determind to get off of C I hope you read everything you can on this site and do it ultra slowly.
I've heard that Paxil is one of the hardest ones to get off. Beware.

Best wishes,
Deb

Deb,
Paxil is very hard to get off! Did it about 7 years ago and thought I was done with meds that made me go through that. Guess I was wrong since I am now about to begin my journey of getting off of Cymbalta. The posts that I have been reading have been extremely helpful. Good luck to everyone!
Sandy

#36 Debbie M.

Debbie M.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • why_joining:
    weaning from cymbalta

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:16 PM

2 grains today. My biggest concern is my emotions. I cry several times a day. It is about specific things. Not just crying for no reason or deep sadness that there is no reason for. That is encouraging. I wonder if getting off Cymbalta has just opened up my range of emotions. All in all my husband feels gaurded. He seems to think my mood is somewhat lower in general than it should be. But he also thinks my new Cymbalta free normal will take time to adjust. I also am causious, and am greatful for his prespective.
I am dealing with the things that bother me about myself and am taking steps forward to correct them . This take courage and time. So I am being patient with myself. I'm still encouraged at this time that I can remain Cybalta (or any antidepressant) free.

I remember times in my past of extreme saddness for no apparent reason. And suicidal ideation. I knew I would never kill myself but I longed for the peace that I thought would come if my life was over. I truely thought my children would be better off with sometome else.

Thank goodness I don't feel that way anymore. I have moved beyond that but I know I still have things I want to work on like negative self talk, my weight and my spiritual life.

Tomorrow is my last day. My one last grain. I hope I don't have any withdrawal from there out. I'll let you know.

Deb

#37 Debbie M.

Debbie M.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • why_joining:
    weaning from cymbalta

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:37 AM

I HAVE ARRIVED!!!!!! Today is the first day without Cymbalta! Its the real test day to see if in fact I have weaned slow enough to sidestep withdrawal symptoms. I couldn't wean any slower than one grain a day. I should know by 5 'clock if I'm going to feel anything negative.
Good day all
Deb

#38 Debbie M.

Debbie M.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • why_joining:
    weaning from cymbalta

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:32 PM

Thanks Cookie for sending me a private message of Congratulations. I appreciate that. :)

#39 Debbie M.

Debbie M.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • why_joining:
    weaning from cymbalta

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:12 AM

OK, so 24 hours without Cymbalta. Last evening I got a slight head ache. It started as fatique behind the eye. I was trying to read something without my reading glasses. That could have started it. It continued on and off through the night. No zaps. I had a bit of trouble sleeping but that has been going on for weeks. This morning I felt a lot of tension in my shoulders and a little dizzy. All and all I feel mostly normal. Mood not perkey but not terribly low.

I need to concentrate on getting more exercise, meditation and better nutition. Also keeping up with my supplements will help.

Have a good day all. I will post tomorrow.
Deb :)

#40 Debbie M.

Debbie M.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • why_joining:
    weaning from cymbalta

Posted 29 July 2010 - 10:57 PM

At the end of day 2 without any Cymbalta. I felt much better today. I was busier with the kids and I think that helped. Much lighter mood too. I'm hoping to sleep better then last night. I seemed to toss and turn and have very loud routy dreams last night. It was almost a relief to just pop out of bed and go down stairs for a while. I would fall asleep watching TV. Then when I would go back up stairs just to be awake again. That happened several times. I would like this weird sleep phase to go away. Otherwise doing good.

#41 Debbie M.

Debbie M.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • why_joining:
    weaning from cymbalta

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:25 PM

5th day without Cymbalta. I suppose after this much time it is completely out of my system. I've done extremely well. I have had a wider range of emotion but have decided that it is within the range of normal. I've had lot to deal with this week. Death of a close friends young nephew(only 30), cessation of alcohol, and a 2 day famly camping trip. I handled it all without running to bed. I did have some anxiety but worked through it. At this point I feel confident I will be able to continue without anti-depressants.

For anyone weaning, I am living proof that you can get off this drug in a non violent way. Weanng too fast gives you un-nessesary withdrawal symptoms.

Best wishes,
Debbie

#42 Debbie M.

Debbie M.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • why_joining:
    weaning from cymbalta

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:36 AM

My biggest issue is insomnia. I can't seem to stay asleep for any length of time.

To all the ones who have weaned before me:
Did you experience this and did it go away over time?

#43 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:09 PM

My biggest issue is insomnia. I can't seem to stay asleep for any length of time.

To all the ones who have weaned before me:
Did you experience this and did it go away over time?

I did have insomnia during the early stages of withdrawal, but it resolved itself, and by the time I was off, I had none.

Perhaps Cymbalta was 'fixing' some pre-existing insomnia?????

I also started HRT at the same time as anti-d, so for me it's difficult to say what was fixing what. I've cut the HRT in half in the last month and am having more trouble sleeping, but still better than before I started both.

regards, Maureen.

p.s. rarely here now there seems to be a good support group going, and as it's nearly 12 months for me, and the administrator shows no interest in making the site more workable, so feel free to send an email if you wish.

#44 Debbie M.

Debbie M.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • why_joining:
    weaning from cymbalta

Posted 06 August 2010 - 09:51 AM

I've had a couple days with good sleep at night. I found it good thearapy to write down all the things that are bothering me regaurding relationships. My mind won't settle down or allow me to continue to sleep if I am at odds with anyone. So its important for me to be guilt free in that department. Good advise for anyone really. Taking steps to improve my raltionships is working to improve my sleep.

Other than that issue, I have been well. No other symptoms in regaurds to the Cymbalta. I do believe I've made it to the other side. :)

Debbie

#45 Debbie M.

Debbie M.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • why_joining:
    weaning from cymbalta

Posted 10 August 2010 - 03:51 PM

One thing that surprises me is the depth of my emotions. I'm sure I'm PMSing but for instance today, I cried because I remembered how hard it was the day we had to put my dog down. That was 8 years ago. And I cried because I was thinking about how much I love my husband and how I couldnt bear it if he were gone. PMS? Or just adjusting to my new range of emotions without anti-depressants?

Sleeping has been good.

#46 Debbie M.

Debbie M.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • why_joining:
    weaning from cymbalta

Posted 16 August 2010 - 12:08 PM

I continue to tear up at the littlest things. A woman I bearly know told me she separated from her husband this past weekend. I was so glad to have had sunglasses on because I teared up and could have bawled right there and then. I am so sensitive. I am beginning to wonder if it will get better.

#47 Debbie M.

Debbie M.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • why_joining:
    weaning from cymbalta

Posted 20 August 2010 - 11:12 AM

I have been doing better with my emotions lately. One thing that is different is I have lost some weight. About 8 pounds. I've been off Cymbalta completely for 3 and a half weeks now. I haven't tried to lose weight but it seems to be coming off on its own. Now for the next 50 pounds! :rolleyes:
Deb :)

#48 Debbie M.

Debbie M.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • why_joining:
    weaning from cymbalta

Posted 23 August 2010 - 03:15 AM

I can hardly believe I've been off anti-depressants for the first time in 12 years. I'm learning what a full range of emotion feels like. I'm feeling all the feelings instead of being numb to the highs and lows that are so natural. I am happy at the way things are turning out for me. Weaning slowly was so good for me and my system didn't sustain a shock from suddenly stopping this drug. :)
Well actually it did but that was before I new I should slow down. But then I slowed down on the weaning and I stabilized. Fast is now a good thing when getting off this hellish drug.

#49 Debbie M.

Debbie M.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • why_joining:
    weaning from cymbalta

Posted 25 August 2010 - 01:16 PM

Here I am!!! I had the most amazing morning today. I launched my 4 children out the door to their first day of school. We were organized and calm and happy. Everyone had clean clothes, was fed and it all went smooth as silk. This is evidence that I am well now. My journey has not been without its hell. But I am released of it and I am so thankful to God. There were days when I would pray to just get through. Through tears and anger and rage I would be so discusted with my self. My behavior seemed to be beyond my control. But that is all past me now. I have WON!! I am free of depression and the hell of coming off Cymbalta. THere is hope for others who desire to be free of it. It just requires some time and planning but you too can do it.

God Bless you all,

Debbie M. :D

#50 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future I would like to stop cymbalta

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:20 AM

Dear Debbie:
Your story is very inspiring. I am so happy that you are off antidepressants after so many years. After the storm there is always a sunny day. Since I started reducing cymbalta, I´ve also felt more emotions. I didn´t realize I was not feeling anything all these past 5 years, I was numb to emotions. I still have a journey ahead, I am still on 15mg. Today something "weird" happened to me. I was sitting on the computer, and suddenly I felt for minutes that the OLD ME was back. I felt calm, very happy, and everything was bright. It felt like the happiness and energy I felt when I was a child. It lasted minutes, but it made me realize, that is what "normal" people feel like most of the time. I still have rage outburst sometimes and other withdrawal symptoms, but I am full of hope. ;)
hugs
Cookie

#51 Debbie M.

Debbie M.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • why_joining:
    weaning from cymbalta

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:16 AM

Dear Debbie:
Your story is very inspiring. I am so happy that you are off antidepressants after so many years. After the storm there is always a sunny day. Since I started reducing cymbalta, I´ve also felt more emotions. I didn´t realize I was not feeling anything all these past 5 years, I was numb to emotions. I still have a journey ahead, I am still on 15mg. Today something "weird" happened to me. I was sitting on the computer, and suddenly I felt for minutes that the OLD ME was back. I felt calm, very happy, and everything was bright. It felt like the happiness and energy I felt when I was a child. It lasted minutes, but it made me realize, that is what "normal" people feel like most of the time. I still have rage outburst sometimes and other withdrawal symptoms, but I am full of hope. ;)
hugs
Cookie

Hope is what its all about. And this support board give that to people who are seeking answers. As the questions with this drug are many.

I was so surprised at how emotional I was after stopping Cymbalta. It was like the old AT&T commercials designed to make us tear up. That very thing would happen many times a day. At first I thought it was bad and it was evidence that I needed antidepressants. But now I know it was a transitional time for me. AND more importantly we should cry at things that are sad. Our society has become numb to violence by way of the media. TV shows and especially the news bring us sad stories from around the world. We are so inundated with negativity we get used to it. Especially while on antidepressants. So when I was free of C I had a rebound effect. Every little thing made me cry. I am getting used to my new normals now and I em brass the God given emotions that were put there for me to be a compassionate person and not a robot.

My intelligent 18 year old nephew recently said:

Depression is not a sign of weakness. Its a sign that you have been too strong for too long.

Have a terrific day.
Debbie M

#52 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:12 PM

Dear Debbie:
Yes modern society teaches us not to cry, not to show our emotions.
But the bad thing about hiding our emotions, is that they stay energetically in our bodies causing illness.
I LOVE your nephew´s quote!!!! I totally agree with it! I can so relate to it!
hugs
Cookie

#53 Caroline

Caroline

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • why_joining:
    Weaning off cylbalta

Posted 29 August 2010 - 06:26 PM

Debbie,
Wow what a journey you endured. Thank you for all of your posts, taking us thru your trials and triumphs. I am in the early stages for weaning off C. I am down to 15mg daily. I have been tapering for 2 weeks, tried to go to 10 for week 3....big mistake. I get the horrible headaches. I learned from your thread...I will go slow....Thank you and congrats on becoming Cymbalta free.
C

#54 Debbie M.

Debbie M.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • why_joining:
    weaning from cymbalta

Posted 02 September 2010 - 12:41 PM

Debbie,
Wow what a journey you endured. Thank you for all of your posts, taking us thru your trials and triumphs. I am in the early stages for weaning off C. I am down to 15mg daily. I have been tapering for 2 weeks, tried to go to 10 for week 3....big mistake. I get the horrible headaches. I learned from your thread...I will go slow....Thank you and congrats on becoming Cymbalta free.
C

Thank you Caroline. You can do it too. I'm so happy you think I have helped you and others. That means so much to me. Continue to go slow and be Cymbalta free! Slow is the key. If you have symptoms, that means you are going too fast. It can be done without suffering. At times I would get impatient and try to speed things up by reducing more. It was a mistake. Take your time.

Be well. :)

#55 TimC97124

TimC97124

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • why_joining:
    Taking Cymbalta for 4 years has taken it's toll and now I need to get off of it.

Posted 03 September 2010 - 12:31 AM

Debbie:
Thanks for your inspiring story!! And Congratulations!!

Hoping to join you soon in the drug free world!
TimC

#56 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 03 September 2010 - 01:42 AM

Dear Debbie:
How are you???? would love to hear from you
Yes, your story has been inspiring to us. I am down to 13mg and following your advice on going slowly.
hugs
Cookie

#57 Debbie M.

Debbie M.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • why_joining:
    weaning from cymbalta

Posted 03 September 2010 - 06:57 AM

Debbie:
Thanks for your inspiring story!! And Congratulations!!

Hoping to join you soon in the drug free world!
TimC

Thanks TimC,

You can do it!

Deb

#58 Debbie M.

Debbie M.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • why_joining:
    weaning from cymbalta

Posted 03 September 2010 - 07:03 AM

Dear Debbie:
How are you???? would love to hear from you
Yes, your story has been inspiring to us. I am down to 13mg and following your advice on going slowly.
hugs
Cookie

Wow,13 mg! You are doing great. I love hearing about the people here.
Keep on swimming......(slowly, thats my moto)

I have been good. My emotions are behaving or I am getting used to them. I know what ever I am feeling is real.
when I think back to the withdrawal symptoms I had I am amazed. I had almost all of them. Not all at once. SOme would come and go and others would blind side me. But the good news is none of them lasted. I am free of them all. So don't dispare if you are in the mist of it. It will pass. And you can get rid of them by weaning slow. I'm talkiing one grain a day when you get down to the lower doses.

Be well,
Deb

#59 Debbie M.

Debbie M.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • why_joining:
    weaning from cymbalta

Posted 04 September 2010 - 01:46 PM

To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.

— Ralph Waldo Emerson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users